Paleo and primal

(1000 Posts)
Daughteroughter Wed 27-Mar-13 01:28:43

I have been reading about paleo and primal diets has anyone tried them?

Salbertina Mon 06-May-13 10:13:49

Yes, they are different, amazingly my dc loved them!

RawCoconutMacaroon Mon 06-May-13 12:14:43

Thank you snow!

Stuffez, with burgers, a nice way to serve, which looks really posh too, is to stack it - while the burger is cooking, in another pan, fry a thick slice of an onion, a large tomato an a large flat mushroom (about 1-1.5cm thick slices, you can save the other bits of the tomato and onion in the fridge for use another time).
When all cooked, build a stack with the mushroom at the bottom as a sort of bun base, then burger, onion and tomato on top. A few fresh herbs look nice, alternatively, top the burger with cheese and put upset the grill to bubble the cheese, and put on top of the veg stack... Add some salad leaves as a side, and that's a very satisfying dinner! Burger stack is always a hit with dh and our teen lads. grin

RawCoconutMacaroon Mon 06-May-13 12:19:52

Snow! I particularly like no18 in the 20 things to dehydrate ... Raw coconut macaroons! grin

RawCoconutMacaroon Mon 06-May-13 12:21:50

Stuffez, I mean the tomato sliced to 1.5cm thick too, not a whole one <really should read posts before sending>

StuffezLaYoni Mon 06-May-13 15:13:02

Oh raw that does sound AMAZING. Lamb burgers have been bumped back to tomorrow sadly, as I picked up some delicious cod that needs eating today. Actually, the way you've suggested the burger stack tower thing sounds beautiful. Decisions, decisions...

teaandthorazine Mon 06-May-13 19:51:27

nappy, the duck breast seems to move every week in my lidl! But it tends to be in the chiller bit near the cheese ( weirdly!) It is really moreish...

Have not had a great paleo day today. last minute decision to head to local ish safari park meant no picnic and long queues for shite food.

I can't bring myself to reveal the full horror of what I've eaten today - suffice to say that even processed-crap-loving dp was moved to comment 'god, when you've been eating proper food for a while, you really notice how awful this stuff is, don't you?' So, result, kinda!

All this talk of dehydrators etc is making me grin. We raced up the stairs when we got home to see what the veg box man had brought us, and then dp went straight out into our teeny weeny balcony to check on the chard and spinach. Who knew that Proper Food was addictive too?!

Yama Mon 06-May-13 20:00:49

I've just snuck over from the low carb thread to have a wee read here. Dh is more primal than low carb so I was looking for tips.

Great thread. Can I just saw a big thank you to FavadiCacao for your Chocolate mousse recipe. That will be right up dh's street. I'll give it a go at the weekend and see how it goes down with the dc.

As for our dc - dd is much more low carb than in the past. She loves meat, fish and will eat most veg. She only drinks water.

Our 2 year is another kettle of fish altogether. We are going to have to wait until we can reason with him. However, the basic like no sweets, limited chocolate and only water to drink have always been in place.

misscph1973 Wed 08-May-13 09:30:21

Right, I have now been to Lidl because I started craving the smoked duck breast, but could I find it? I must have checked the entire chilled section 4 times before I gave up!

I will try another Lidl (there are 2 Lidls nearish me), but pelase can someone describe the packaging and what other items are typically near?

teaandthorazine Wed 08-May-13 12:02:51

it's in a cardboard packet and it's called something like piquebroche? should be with the chilled stuff but as I say, they keep moving it in my local lidl!

misscph1973 Wed 08-May-13 14:03:04

Ok, thanks, tea!

nappyaddict Wed 08-May-13 15:56:26
RawCoconutMacaroon Wed 08-May-13 17:55:15

Don't think I've seen that in our local aldi (maybe at Christmas?), but its usual Aldi I go to for my basics- locally Aldi seems better. Will have to have a look, sounds tasty.

Was looking online for the ingredients, but can't find the info - does anyone have a pack? If its marinaded before smoking it may have things I can't eat (gluten, celery), so not worth me trailing to the shop to look!

Salbertina Wed 08-May-13 18:02:48

I never knew I REALLY wanted smoked duck breast, but now I do too grin
Good luck in your search

misscph1973 Wed 08-May-13 20:30:18

Thanks, nappyaddcit, they definitely didn't have it in the Lidl I was ine, will try another one later this week.

snoworneahva Wed 08-May-13 20:56:39

Really like the sound of smoked duck - in fact I'm really getting into smoked anything - Maldon smoked sea salt - subtle, chipotle chillis - I love!
Visited Aldi yesterday for my annual purchase of cheap maple syrup only to be told they no longer stock it!!!! Never mind, I got some free range chickens for £4.99 and they tasted better than Waitrose! Bought lots of Parma Ham and Prosciutto - both of which contain no nitrates! Morrisons sells nitrate free sliced chorizo - just in case anyone would like some. I also got some 85% cocoa choc which contributed to a mind blowing triple choc brownie recipe for the dcs lunchbox....I need a bigger freezer! grin

BBQ Jerk chicken with BBQ'd veg and kohlrabi slaw for dinner this evening, very tasty.

StuffezLaYoni Wed 08-May-13 21:35:26

All this duck talk... Very tempted to splash to on a couple of those gressingham (is that the name?) duck breasts and experiment a bit.

Noticed today that I don't need sweet potatoes with every meal now. Whereas tea has been meat, sweet pot, veg for a while... It's now meat, veg, veg if you see what I mean. And I still feel full!

Also, I know many of you have been eating in this way for a while, but is anyone actively losing weight at the mo? How's it going?

misscph1973 Thu 09-May-13 09:18:43

Stuffez, I have actually gained weight, but I think that is down to greed and too many "paleo treats" ;) I am 176 cm tall and I weigh about 62 kg, used to weigh 59 kg, so I am not overweight, just annoyed that I can't seem to get my bum into my skinny jeans any longer ;)

According to dh, who is a Paleo evangelist (it can get quite tiring...) I am gaining weight because I am stressed and tired, I snack at after dinner time and I don't lift enough heavy weights. Personally I don't believe I have typical stress symptoms, not more than anyone else. I sleep well most nights. I do often have a square of 70% dark chocolate with 3-4 almonds if I am watching tv. And I definitely don't lift enough heavy weights. I do lift weights and I do own body weight exercise like pull-ups, press-ups and plank, but not near enough.

It is worth looking into other things than what you eat if you want to lose weight. Stress and lack of sleep can make you gain weight. Also it is important to lift heavy weights to use all that protein from the meat. And snacking outside meal times is a bad idea, your system needs a rest to be able to use the fuel from food.

thebestpossibletaste Thu 09-May-13 09:19:07

I'm really struggling for quick evening meals. I'm working full time all week then walking the dog, just don't have time to cook much. We have cold meats and salad for lunch so don't fancy the same for dinner. What do you all do?

Husband can't cook!

I really need some suggestions for tonight.

Thank smile

Salbertina Thu 09-May-13 09:40:35

Steak and salad? Chicken & roast veg/salad? Baked fish & veg?
Ok, nothing hugely original here but is a school night!

thebestpossibletaste Thu 09-May-13 09:43:34

Thanks. We have a lot of fish and prawns for lunch. Steak is quite expensive.

When we still ate carbs I would have done pasta or grabbed a pizza.

Salbertina Thu 09-May-13 10:01:25

Not a culinary feat but cheap -ratatouille type dish w/o pasta with tuna/sardines/ham bits chucked in at last minute??

Is there a paleo recipe thread or should we start one? desperate for that paleo choc pudding recipe

snoworneahva Thu 09-May-13 10:15:22

The best How about slow cooker recipes - you should be able to quickly throw something together in the morning.

RawCoconutMacaroon Thu 09-May-13 10:47:51

Weight loss- been doing this a long time now (was Atkins type low carb but been paleo (grain free) the past couple of year, I think that's 6 or 7 years total but starting to lose count! Still losing - was very very large (bmi in the "you will drop dead any second" range shock).
Weight lose was greatest in the first couple of years, then slow, slow, gained about 30lb after baby (about 6 months after, sleep depravation I think! Gained only 4lbs during pregnancy)... Have lost that 30lb, baby now 2yo. Total loss over 6st, still about 20lbs to go, now losing at a couple of pounds a month.

On the one hand, that's slow and frustrating. On the other, I am not counting calories and am eating a lot of fat/protein and my skin looks amazing and I feel very healthy on it (or without the grains I should say), and I think slow and steady is probably the best in the long run - but I need to up my exercise, not so easy with the toddler (used to gym&swim 5 days a week before dc4, and lucky if its once a week now!).

Quick evening meals - the slow cooker is the answer! 10 mins prep in the morning, dinner cooked when you get in.

Also things like curry batched cooked ahead one evening, for the next couple of evenings or for the freezer.
Paleo slow cooking by Chrissy Gower is very good, everything I've cooked out of it is a hit with the whole family. Available on amazon, like everything these days!

misscph1973 Thu 09-May-13 12:58:46

Raw, your weight loss is really impressive! As is your perseverance and patience. I think you are spot on when you talk about the long run. This is lifestyle, not a "fix".

Re exercise, could you incorporate some when you are at the park with dcs in the weekend? I make sure we walk/bike everywhere and I often run up the hill with them and go on the play equipment with them.

I have my gym equipment in my garage, I would never get to the gym. I am selling my Concept2 rowing machine, which I love, but I don't use it any more as I am focusing on weights. I have a pull-up bar in my kitchen door frame, cost £10 on Amazon. I also have a kettle bell (you might be familiar with Tim Ferriss' "The 4 hour body"? Worth a read, he is semi-Paleo, no grains, but he does eat beans. His exercise advice (he highly recommends the kettle bell) is very good). And then I have bar bells, dumb bells and a bench. It really doesn't take up that much space in the garage and it wasn't that expensive either, I bought the equipment over a few years. I don't use it as much as I want to, maybe 1 or twice per week (I also work full time, but from home), but it's better than nothing, and hopefully I can step it up.

the best, leftovers have become my life saver. Roasted veg (veg I like roasted: parsnip, celeriac, butternut squash and cauliflower) are always cooked in large batches, they heat up fine and are also nice cold. A large pot of chilli (minus beans) can last for days also freezes well. Meat balls with tomato sauce are also fine reheated. If you cook a whole chicken over the weekend, make sure it's a large one and have chicken lefter overs + chicken bone broth.

FavadiCacao Thu 09-May-13 13:15:38

Hi thebest,

When we still ate carbs I would have done pasta or grabbed a pizza.

Earlier in the thread I posted a recipe for pizza. It only take 5 mins prep and similar cooking times to ordinary pizzas.

Most pasta sauces go lovely with ribbons of steamed greens or ribbons of lettuce (romaine and round are best).

2 min sauce.

Ingredients
1/2tbs Butter
Smoked salmon
150mls double cream
1-2tbs grated parmesan (or cheese of your choice)
Parsley
seasoning

Warm butter in a pan on medium heat;add salmon and stir for 20-30 seconds; add cream, cheese and seasoning; stir until the cream start bubbling (~1-1.5 mins). Add parsley and serve on a bed of lettuce ribbons.

If you have an extra ten minutes, you could substitute the smoked salmon for freshly cooked salmon/trout. Instead of salmon I love venison (diced very small take less than 10 mins to cook) cooked with 1 clove of garlic, 1-2 cloves and 2-3 juniper berries, a splash of white wine (wine optional) and a few mushrooms before adding cream & co.

Another super quick meal is Sandwich/minute steak. Is a cheaper cut of steak but as is thinly sliced it won't go hard and it cooks in a few minutes (or seconds if you like it blue!)

This thread is not accepting new messages.