(778 Posts)
BIWI Wed 11-Apr-12 11:31:11

Asparagus Frittata (serves 2)

250g/9oz asparagus, trimmed and cut into 5cm/2in pieces
4 eggs
4 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan or Pecorino cheese
225g/8oz spring onions, finely chopped
2 tablespoons olive oil

- Cook asparagus in boiling water until tender (7-10 minutes)
- Whisk the eggs and add the cheese and the spring onions
- Pre-heat the grill
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan that can go under the grill
- Put in the asparagus; stir-fry for a minute, then pour in the eaten eggs, moving the asparagus around gently to make sure the egg mixture gets right through, and that the grated cheese is well distributed
- Let the frittata cook over a moderate heat for a few minutes until the underside is cooked and lightly browned, then put the pan under a hot grill for a minute or two until the top is set and golden brown

5.5g carbs per serving

Recipe from Rose Elliot's "The Vegetarian Low-Carb Diet Book"

polealltheway Wed 19-Nov-14 22:14:43

Marking my place for recipes grin

costababe Mon 17-Nov-14 21:02:35

Marking place for mor yummy recipes!!

Roseformeplease Sun 09-Nov-14 22:18:25

DH, who is a chef, has invented the yummiest mash substitute:

Celeriac, cauliflower - boil. Mash. Add butter and cream. Eat.

That is all.

It is absolutely amazing. Please don't burst my bubble and tell me I can't eat it!

Jo4694 Tue 04-Nov-14 12:38:09

Hi,

I am new to this, day one.

Am I allowed ground almonds? Maybe not in first 2 weeks?

More importantly am I allowed dark 70%+ chocolate or cocoa powder? I saw someone add a recipe for hot chocolate. Is this allowed? and is it allowed in first 2 weeks?

Scarletohello Thu 30-Oct-14 17:29:12

I've just made this, it was delicious! It was a bit like chicken Kiev but without the breadcrumbs.

Chicken breasts wrapped in Parma ham

Cut the chicken breast and stuff with a mixture of marscapone cheese, fresh parsley and thyme, finely chopped ( or pressed) garlic, salt and pepper. Wrap in 2 or 3 slices of Parma ham. Pop in oven, gas mark 5 for 20 mins. Had with a salad topped with shaved Parmesan. I'd never made this before and it was so good it's something I'd serve at a dinner party!

CharlieSierra Sun 19-Oct-14 16:14:03

Should mention for those unfamiliar with Paleo, coconut aminos is a soy sauce substitute, so just use that.

CharlieSierra Sun 19-Oct-14 16:10:54

This is a great recipe

Gyoza Meatballs from theclothesmakethegirl.com/2014/03/27/gyoza-meatballs/

Ingredients:
Meatballs:
1/4 pound shitake mushrooms, stemmed and finely chopped
1/8 head cabbage, very thinly sliced (about 1 cup)
1 tablespoon coconut aminos or homemade substitute
1 pound ground pork
1/2 cup water chestnuts, minced
2 scallions, very thinly sliced (about 1/4 cup)
1 tablespoon chopped chives (dried or fresh)
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon powdered ginger
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
3 cloves garlic, minced (about 1 tablespoon)
2 tablespoons warm water
1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
Dipping sauce:
1/4 cup rice vinegar
1/4 cup coconut aminos or homemade substitute
1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
1/2 clove garlic, minced
1 scallion, very thinly sliced
1/2 teaspoon grated fresh ginger root
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes

prettybird Sat 18-Oct-14 22:18:16

Made the chicken and chorizo dish tonight. Apart from the fact that I had to boil it for ages (and that was after only adding 700ml of chicken stock) to get it to reduce enough as I stayed good and didn't add flour , it was yummy and went down well with dh and ds too (who had it with rice). smile

gointothewoods Sat 18-Oct-14 21:26:32

Re the cabbage, not great. 2 hours cooking time was too long. Not a fan of very very soft cabbage. It was ok but not lovely.
I have tried other nom nom paleo recipes before and they've been good.

gointothewoods Sat 18-Oct-14 10:50:32

Currently making this:
nomnompaleo.com/post/1356598429/worlds-best-braised-green-cabbage

Will report back later on the results!

SarahBeenysBumblingApprentice Fri 17-Oct-14 20:26:20

Vegetable rosti:

(It's a bit if a faff but I was trying to convince the DC that they were eating burgers).

I've been grating up a mix of veg in large batches to use in salads during the week - I got a bit fed up of green leafy salads. I used some of this, which was about 1/4 swede, 1/4 celeriac and 1/2 a large courgette coarsely grated. I sautéed the lot in olive oil until soft. I then beat 2 eggs and a tablespoon of mayo, salt, a tsp of baking powder, smoked garlic power and 1/2 tsp dried sage together and once the veg had cooled a bit I mixed it all up. It needed to be spooned into the frying pan for frying and it's a bit delicate but made some nice little rosti style cakes. They firm up a bit if you put them into a warm oven for 10min or so.

Clearly garlic and sage is to my taste and I'm sure you could flavour them with anything you want!

NB: I find it quite easy to eat a lot of carbs with swede + celeriac, probably because they are two of my favourite roast veg. It's worth keeping an eye on portions sizes i.e. not a whole swede to yourself grin

CharlieSierra Wed 15-Oct-14 20:40:56

Thai Massaman Curry

Paste
•1/4 cup macadamia nuts
•2 shallots, sliced
•5 cloves garlic, peeled
•1-2 red chilies, OR substitute 1/2 to 1 tsp. dried crushed chili
•1 thumb-size piece galangal (or ginger), thinly sliced
•1 stalk lemongrass, minced, OR 2-3 Tbsp. frozen or bottled prepared lemongrass
•1 tsp. ground coriander
•1/2 Tbsp. ground cumin
•1/2 tsp. whole cumin seeds
•1/8 tsp. nutmeg, preferably ground from whole nutmeg
•1/2 tsp. cinnamon
•1/8 tsp. ground cloves
•1/4 tsp. ground cardamon
•2 Tbsp. fish sauce
•1 tsp. shrimp paste
•1 tsp. palm sugar OR brown sugar
•1-3 Tbsp. coconut milk, depending on how thick or runny you prefer your paste (save remainder for cooking your curry)

Blend together in a food processor or blender.

I then fried 2 star anise, a cinnamon stick, and a few crushed cardamon pods in coconut oil for a few minutes, then browned chicken breasts, added some quartered mushrooms and then the curry paste. Fry paste for a couple of minutes then add the rest of the tin of coconut milk, season with salt, stir well then cover and simmer for half an hour or so. I took the lid off and let the sauce reduce and bunged in a good handful of spinach at the same time, finish with a squeeze of lime. I did think I would leave the sugar out of the paste, it's only a teaspoon so I didn't think it would make much difference, but whilst the sauce was cooking it was definitely missing something so I added it for 4 carbs, it made all the difference.

gointothewoods Sun 12-Oct-14 09:07:08

I make this all the time, it's delicious! Could serve with Cauli mash instead of potatoes.
Could sub bacon lardons for the chorizo.

Creamy Chicken and chorizo casserole
Serves 4
INGREDIENTS
1.8 kg Chicken jointed (I use chicken breasts/ legs on the bone)
25 g Butter
2 Shallots peeled and finely diced
3 cloves Garlic very finely diced
50 g Chorizo diced (I use at least twice this)
1 tsp Fresh Thyme (I used dried)
1 glass Dry White Wine (I usually leave this out)
1 tsp Plain Flour (could leave this out as the cream thickens things up)
1 L Chicken Stock
50 ml Cream
2 carrots, thinly sliced
Salt & Cracked Black Pepper

METHOD
Choose a wide saucepan with a thick base.
On a medium heat melt the butter and add the chicken pieces, cook for 5 – 10 minutes ensuring the chicken is lightly browned all over.
Add the chorizo, carrots, shallots, garlic and thyme and cook for an additional 5-10 minutes.
Sprinkle in the plain flour and mix well in to ensure that it does not stick to the base of the pan at this crucial time.
Next add in the white wine and again, do continue to stir the mixture because the wine will evaporate off quite quickly.
Boil up the chicken stock and add into the floured chicken mixture.
Add in the cream and allow this to thicken up.
Bring the mixture to the boil and then reduce to a gentle simmer.
Allow to simmer for an additional 10 – 15 minutes or until the chicken is well cooked through to the centre. Season lightly.

BIWI Wed 08-Oct-14 13:10:56

You could always try coating in ground almonds? (Although obviously they will add some carbs). And mashed celeriac or swede might be worth a try as well.

PetulaGordino Wed 08-Oct-14 11:22:11

i have made fishcakes but i didn't write it down sorry! i think i just substituted mashed cauliflower for mashed potato, making sure that the mashed cauliflower was as "dry" as possible. and no breadcrumb coating obviously

this is what i would do for low carb fishcakes (it might need tweaking in RL):

mix together the following:

cooked fish
mashed cauliflower (you could fry it v gently after steaming and mashing to dry out some more)
lemon zest
parsley, chopped
chives and/or spring onions, chopped
salt and pepper
beaten egg - enough to make the mixture come together - you could also use mayonnaise to do the same thing i think

shape into cakes, cover and chill in the fridge for an hour

heat oil or butter in frying pan and fry cakes until golden on both sides

they might fall apart a bit without the coating, so this might need tweaking

CharlieSierra Tue 07-Oct-14 16:51:36

are there any recipes for fishcakes? I'm sorry I don't know how to search for words and I've skimmed but can't find any.

aNoteToFollowSo Mon 06-Oct-14 10:39:56

Thanks all for that steer about the courgette noodles. I can't wait to give them a go.

Prettybird thanks too for the chocpot recipe. They do indeed sound delicious. I'm looking forward to making those too, but will wait till after BC

TheNutmegofconsolation Sun 05-Oct-14 18:28:33

Tarragon Chicken

Ingredients

1 tbsp olive oil
4 Chicken Legs,
400g pack shallots, peeled
4 garlic cloves, halved
300ml dry white wine
300ml chicken stock
2 tsp wholegrain mustard
2 tbsp chopped tarragon plus a few leaves to garnish or used dried
2 tbsp Full Fat British Crème Fraiche

Heat the oil in a large frying pan and cook the chicken, shallots and garlic over a fairly high heat for 10 minutes until golden brown.

Add the wine, stock, mustard and tarragon. Cover and simmer gently for 20 minutes until the chicken is completely cooked through with no pink meat.

Remove from the heat and stir in the crème fraiche. Divide between four plates, garnish with tarragon leaves and serve.

prettybird Sun 05-Oct-14 10:40:21

They are smile - and so rich that one is sufficient. smile Look really elegant for dinner parties served up in pretty espresso cups and saucers.

BIWI Sun 05-Oct-14 09:49:49

They sound gorgeous!

prettybird Sat 04-Oct-14 16:24:01

Chocolate pots with orange and cardamom

The pudding is quick to make but takes a few hours to set. Original recipe used 250ml whipped cream folded in at the end - but I left it out by accident and after trying it the "correct" way, decided my mistaken way was better grin I'd like to try it with different spices and/or add some raspberries (either at the bottom of the ramekin, or as decoration - or both wink)

Makes 6-8

8 cardamom pods
100ml milk
200g good quality plain chocolate
1 orange
2 eggs

1 Slit the cardamom pods open and prise out the seeds. Crush the seeds a little with the back of a spoon or in a pestle and mortar and put in a small pan with the milk. Slowly bring to boiling point, then remove from the heat and leave to infuse while preparing the other ingredients.

2 Break the chocolate into a large bowl, cover with clingfilm and place over a pan of boiling water – try not to let the water touch the bottom of the bowl as this will make the chocolate lumpy. Leave the chocolate to melt. Or do what I do and melt it carefully in the microwave.

3 While the chocolate is melting, grate the zest of the orange and squeeze out its juice.

4 Separate the eggs, then whisk the egg yolks until they turn thick.

5 When the chocolate has melted, stir in the yolks, zest and juice then mix in the infused milk (pour it through a sieve so that all the cardamom pods are caught).

6 Whisk the egg whites until they form soft peaks and fold them gently into the chocolate mixture using a large metal spoon.

7 Scrape the chocolate mixture into six or eight small ramekins or pots (I use little espresso coffee cups, which look elegant). Cover with clingfilm and refrigerate for a couple of hours or overnight.

Yummy smile

PetulaGordino Thu 02-Oct-14 21:53:53

i have one of these

(it might be cheaper elsewhere)

miffy49 Thu 02-Oct-14 18:17:46

Lakeland sell julienne cutters but you can also get them on Amazon. Actually, my first one was from Amazon and turned out to be the Lakeland one but cheaper than buying it direct! I use courgette on a regular basis now so I invested in a Spiralizer. Not cheap but really fast when you have loads to make.

BIWI Wed 01-Oct-14 21:29:23
aNoteToFollowSo Tue 30-Sep-14 16:50:33

CAn anyone tell me how to make courgette noodles please? Do I need a special gadget to produce courgette ribbons?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now