(716 Posts)
BIWI Wed 11-Apr-12 11:31:11

Asparagus Frittata (serves 2)

250g/9oz asparagus, trimmed and cut into 5cm/2in pieces
4 eggs
4 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan or Pecorino cheese
225g/8oz spring onions, finely chopped
2 tablespoons olive oil

- Cook asparagus in boiling water until tender (7-10 minutes)
- Whisk the eggs and add the cheese and the spring onions
- Pre-heat the grill
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan that can go under the grill
- Put in the asparagus; stir-fry for a minute, then pour in the eaten eggs, moving the asparagus around gently to make sure the egg mixture gets right through, and that the grated cheese is well distributed
- Let the frittata cook over a moderate heat for a few minutes until the underside is cooked and lightly browned, then put the pan under a hot grill for a minute or two until the top is set and golden brown

5.5g carbs per serving

Recipe from Rose Elliot's "The Vegetarian Low-Carb Diet Book"

FelixFelix Thu 13-Mar-14 18:44:33

Just made the butter chicken from this thread and it was delicious! So easy to make too. Served with garlic roasted broccoli. DP really enjoyed it too grin

NoelOfLorst Fri 07-Mar-14 17:19:14

Sorry if that recipe has been posted before btw, I've lost track

NoelOfLorst Fri 07-Mar-14 17:18:19

Low Carb Profiteroles

If you've tried the famous 'Oopsie Rolls' you may, like me, have found them to be spectacularly shit BUT they do have one very good use- in making low carb profiteroles.

Cool up a batch of oopsies (I add a tablespoon or so of ground almonds to the yolk mix for this recipe) but make em small.

Whip up some double cream with a tiny bit of Splenda (you could leave this out). When the mini oopsies are cool, sandwich them in pairs with the cream, then drizzle with dark chocolate (a little goes a long way)

this isn't really a recipe, but i happened to catch a random cooking programme hosted by james martin just now, where a chap cooked what is apparently the 'original' bubble and squeak recipe, which didn't have potatoes in. apparently bubble and squeak with potatoes came in during the war when meat was scarcer, but in georgian/victorian times it was a mixture of leftover cooked cabbage and roast beef

so it's shredded cooked cabbage refried in plenty of butter, add shredded roast beef and heat through, serve

yumsk <giles wemmbley-hogg>

ChesterDrawers Mon 24-Feb-14 16:16:09

Doner kebab

Old Slimming World recipe, but adapted to LC using high fat beef or lamb mince.

Ingredients:
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon dried Italian herbs
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
500g/1.1 lb lamb mince

Method:
Preheat oven to gas mark 4/180C/350F

In a large bowl, combine dried oregano, dried Italian herbs, garlic powder, onion powder, cayenne pepper, salt and black pepper.

Add the lamb mince and mix thoroughly for 2-3 minutes. Take out all of your aggression on the kebab mixture, punching and kneading until no air pockets remain and the kebab meat is extremely smooth.

Shape the seasoned mince into a loaf and place on a baking tray.

Bake in the middle shelf of the oven for 1 hour 20 minutes, turning the loaf half way through the cooking time to ensure even browning.

Once cooked, remove from the oven and cover with foil. Allow to rest for 10 minutes.

Slice the donor kebab as thinly as possible and serve with salad and sauces.

siiiiiiiiigh Mon 10-Feb-14 14:20:35

taco bake sounds yum!

MyPreciousRing Mon 10-Feb-14 13:59:23

Some fab ideas here!
Thanks

ThatYoghurtWontPotItself Wed 05-Feb-14 18:26:51

lighthouse how frustrating! can you do a sort of kedgeree using cauliflower instead of rice?

Lighthousekeeping Tue 04-Feb-14 12:28:22

My tesco delivery just arrived. I ordered everything for the fish pie and all that turned up was four pieces of smoked haddock!

LittleMissDisorganized Tue 04-Feb-14 12:19:47

I put about 50g of spinach that was tired and in need of using under the leeks the second time I made it and it was even better - I reckon you could vary the greens quite a bit, cabbage, sprouts, etc.

Woolfey Tue 04-Feb-14 08:53:58

Thanks for posting that recipe LittleMiss. I'll be giving it a try.

LittleMissDisorganized Mon 03-Feb-14 20:27:40

Taco bake adapted from Sten Sture Skaldeman's Low Carb High Fat Cookbook
Serves 2 very generously or 3-4 with other veg

500g beef mince
150g cream cheese
100ml crème fraiche
half sachet taco spice mix/ cajun spice mix (or your own blend)
2 large leeks
50-100g grated hard cheese

Mix together cream cheese and crème fraiche and spread over the base of an overproof dish.
Cook mince in a pan until browned, add taco mix and mix thoroughly to achieve even coating. Add mince to dish on top of cheese mix.
Slice leeks with a mandolin or very finely slice with a knife and scatter over the top of the dish. Cover this this with the grated cheese.

Bake at 225 for 15 minutes.

RatherBeOnThePiste Sun 02-Feb-14 06:59:33

I'm going to try this corned beef hash, had it recently in NY and it was lush. We had breakfast in a trad diner, had a mushroom omelette, it came with a huge pile of potatoes (diced and fried) a pile of corned beef hash and two rounds of wheat toast. Not the most low carb affair.

BIWI Sat 01-Feb-14 19:35:21

Corned Beef Hash serves 3-4

1 340g tin corned beef (avoid the light/low fat ones if you can), diced into cm chunks
100g shallots (about 3-4 echalion ones), sliced
500g celeriac (a small one) peeled and cut into chunks about 1cm square
3tbps Worcestershire sauce
1.5 tsps wholegrain mustard

lard/coconut oil for frying

In a bowl, mix the Worcestershire sauce and the mustard, and then add the corned beef. Stir it well and set aside

Boil the celeriac in salted water for about 10 minutes/until tender, then drain in a colander and let them steam dry for a couple of minutes

Heat some oil in a frying pan, and fry the shallots for a couple of minutes on a high heat, and then add the celeriac. Turn the heat down a little, and continue to fry until the shallots and celeriac are starting to brown. Season with salt/pepper

Add the corned beef, stir it all in and then fry for another 5 minutes, stirring well so that it doesn't stick to the pan

Serve with a fried egg or two.

febes Sat 01-Feb-14 08:52:17

Been a bit naughty this weekend. 3 gin and slimlines last night. 3 glasses of red wine tonight. It was my sister's 10th anniversary so she had a bbq/party today and as chief bridesmaid I had to celebrate! Back on it tomorrow.
I had lost 7cm off my belly the other day when I measured.

lighthouse i would mash softened butter with garlic, rosemary, salt and pepper, spread on the steaks then grill or fry

Lighthousekeeping Fri 31-Jan-14 11:06:36

I've just bought two lamb steaks reduced. No idea what to do with them!

Snowdown Fri 31-Jan-14 07:09:48

Have recently started frying diced celeriac in butter, IMO it's absolutely the best way to eat it and it's pretty easy. Also like it mashed with a grain mustard salad dressing.

BIWI Thu 30-Jan-14 22:27:25

There are some lovely recipes for celeriac on the recipe thread, ElBombero!

I made celeriac 'chips' recently. They don't go crispy, but they were lovely.

Peel your celeriac, and then cut it up into chips. Parboil them for 5 minutes.

Drain, and then put into a roasting tin with a load of olive oil, and season with sea salt/black pepper, and roast for half an hour or so, turning half way through.

I also love tartiflette made with celeriac, or celeriac dauphinoise/boulangere (recipes for all of these on the bootcamp recipe thread)

ElBombero Thu 30-Jan-14 21:48:50

I have a celeriac can anyone give me any tips?

LittlePudding1 Thu 30-Jan-14 18:10:12

Ah yes, didn't think about the crackling. Will do it in the oven as Willie suggested. Thanks

i don't mind bone/skin, it just chicken thighs!

but yes, slow-cooked meat on the bone tastes so much better so if you can get past that it does at lesat fall off the bone easily when it comes to serving

daisychicken Thu 30-Jan-14 09:27:02

My DH hates meat on the bone - he can't be bothered with the faff of getting the meat off(!) with the recipe that rather has linked to - the meat literally falls off the bone so you could spend a couple of minutes making sure all meat is off the bone before serving - could then at least pretend it's not chicken thighs/drumsticks?

RatherBeOnThePiste Thu 30-Jan-14 09:14:52

I have to buy them sans bones and skin or I can't bear them either.

Meat is a bit grim all round really!

I have to admit I feel the same about chicken thighs - I know they're cheaper, more flavoursome and fattier than chicken breast, but I just find them a bit yuck. I don't know why!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now