(773 Posts)
BIWI Wed 11-Apr-12 11:31:11

Asparagus Frittata (serves 2)

250g/9oz asparagus, trimmed and cut into 5cm/2in pieces
4 eggs
4 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan or Pecorino cheese
225g/8oz spring onions, finely chopped
2 tablespoons olive oil

- Cook asparagus in boiling water until tender (7-10 minutes)
- Whisk the eggs and add the cheese and the spring onions
- Pre-heat the grill
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan that can go under the grill
- Put in the asparagus; stir-fry for a minute, then pour in the eaten eggs, moving the asparagus around gently to make sure the egg mixture gets right through, and that the grated cheese is well distributed
- Let the frittata cook over a moderate heat for a few minutes until the underside is cooked and lightly browned, then put the pan under a hot grill for a minute or two until the top is set and golden brown

5.5g carbs per serving

Recipe from Rose Elliot's "The Vegetarian Low-Carb Diet Book"

Carnitas

(a bit like pulled pork - basically slow-cooked pork in spices, which is then pulled and roasted in the oven for a few minutes to caramelise the edges)

boneless pork shoulder
butter
3-4 sliced shallots
2 cloves of garlic crushed
salt and pepper
juice and rind of one lime
2 tbsp cumin
2 tbsp paprika
handful chopped fresh oregano / tbsp dried oregano

- remove the skin from the pork if it's still on. cut the pork into large chunks (about 4cm x 4cm - it doesn't really matter but not too small)

- melt the butter in a pan and brown the pork (in batches if necessary), removing as browned

- reduce the heat and add the onions and garlic and soften

- put the meat, onions, garlic and juices/butter mixture into the slow cooker, and add all the herbs and spices and lime juice/rind. add a glass of water and stir the mixture a bit.

- cook in the slow cooker on low for 8-10 hours*

- when about to serve, preheat the oven to a high heat and remove the meat from the slow cooker with a slotted spoon and put in a roasting dish. lightly pull the meat apart with a couple of forks, leaving some decent-sized chunks among the fully pulled meat.

- spoon the juices over the meat and put the pan into the top of the oven. allow the edges of the meat to caramelise/char slightly, and the liquid to evaporate (can take 30mins or so - check every so often and turn over some of the chunks of meat as needed). the meat should be well-browned on the outside but still moist inside

- serve with dressed salad, sour cream, mayonnaise, a homemade (low carb) tomato salsa, etc. carby twats can have tortillas or pitta bread

*if you don't want to do the oven-roasting bit, you can serve straight out of the slow cooker, though you may want to reduce the liquid in a saucepan a bit first. it will be like a spiced pork casserole

Slow cooker beef curry

(adapted from linked recipe)

butter
800g/1lb 12oz beef braising steak, cut into 2.5cm/1in pieces
4 shallots, finely chopped
4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
2 chillies, finely chopped, plus extra to taste
2.5cm/1in piece fresh root ginger
4 tsp ground cumin
4 tsp ground coriander
2 tsp ground turmeric
1 x 400g/14oz can chopped tomatoes (+ 1x water from emptied can)
2 tsp garam masala
200g/7oz natural yoghurt (optional)
small handful fresh chopped coriander

Heat half of the butter in a frying pan and fry the beef pieces for 4-5 minutes, or until browned all over. (You may need to brown the meat in batches.) Tip the browned meat into the slow cooker.

Heat the remaining butter in a frying pan and fry the onions for five minutes, then add the garlic, chilli and ginger and fry for another 2-3 minutes. Add the spices and fry for another minute, then tip the mixture into the slow cooker.

Add the chopped tomatoes to the slow cooker, then fill one of the empty casn with water and add the water to the slow cooker.

Stir everything together, pressing down so that everything is covered in liquid and cook for 8-10 hours on low.

About 30 minutes before serving, reduce the curry on the hob if it is too liquidy. Then stir in the garam masala and yoghurt (if using) and season to taste with salt and a little more chilli, then stir in the coriander.

BIWI Tue 10-Sep-13 21:09:01

Mince and 'onions' (serves 4)

500g steak mince
4 large echalion shallots (400g in weight), sliced
1 Oxo cube
soy sauce
Worcestershire sauce
salt & black pepper
dried thyme and oregano
coconut oil

Dollop a generous spoonful of oil into a large pan, and then add the sliced shallots

Season with salt (only a little bit, as the Oxo and soy also add saltiness), freshly ground black pepper and thyme/oregano

Saute the shallots until they are starting to soften, and then add the mince

Break the mince up and stir until there is no pink left, then crumble in the Oxo cube and add enough water to cover the meat. Stir in a generous amount of Worcestershire and soy sauce - probably a tablespoon of each.

Turn the heat to the lowest, cover the pan with a lid, and then simmer for at least half an hour - the longer the better.

Take the lid off the pan and then cook until most of the liquid has been reduced away. You want some liquid left as this makes the dish nice and most.

This will come out to around 4g carbs per person.

Ruprekt Tue 10-Sep-13 22:47:52

Marking my place.....smile

catinboots Wed 11-Sep-13 07:03:09

Me too!

A good breakfast idea here Haven't tried it yet but it's basically bacon, eggs & mushroom cooked together in a muffin tin. Looks lovely.

Jamaican Oxtails

2lb oxtails
4 teaspoons mushed garlic
4 sprigs fresh thyme
1 spring onion sliced thinly
1 scotch bonnet pepper
Tbsp Allspice
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tp pepper
Tbsp coconut oil (I used virgin for the flavour)
1 echalion shallot chopped
1 medium carrot chopped
2 tomatoes chopped
Handful of chopped green beans

Marinate the Oxtail in the garlic, thyme, spring onion, scotch bonnet, allspice, salt, pepper and coconut oil and sit for a couple of hours (overnight would probably be even better)
Brown the oxtails, then add the rest of the marinade to fry off a little.
Add carrot, shallot and tomatoes and fry for a minute or so.
Add enough water to almost cover and simmer for 3 hours.
Add green beans and cook for a further 5 minutes.

I think cauliflower rice would go really well but I just had a big bowlful on its own - this served 2 greedy people with a half portion left which I have just added water and some chili sauce to to make a spicy soup for breakfast.

Cheesy leeks and ham bake

Delicious and only 5 ingredients!

8 small leeks, trimmed of green stalks to fit snugly in your baking dish
8 slices cooked ham
100g cheddar, grated
2 tbsp Dijon mustard
6 tbsp crème fraîche (full fat)

Heat oven to 200C/fan180C/gas 6. Cook the leeks in a pan of boiling salted water for 4-5 mins or until just tender. Drain and cool under a cold tap to stop them from cooking any further, then drain again well and pat dry on kitchen paper.

Wrap each leek in a slice of ham, then arrange, side-by-side, in a large baking dish. Mix the cheddar in a bowl with the Dijon mustard and crème fraîche, until well combined. Season to taste. Spread over the leeks, then bake for 15-20 mins until bubbling and golden brown. Serve at once with plenty of crusty bread to mop up the juices.

Serve at once with plenty of crusty bread to mop up the juices.
Ummmmmm Willie I'm telling! grin

lol bullet - I forgot to delete that bit! just C&Ped

Note - i did delete 'half-fat' for the creme fraiche!

grin

Snatchoo Thu 12-Sep-13 16:12:23

What's the deal with using shallots instead of onions? I love onions. There is nowhere near me that sells shallots.

shallots are lower carbs per 100g (3.3g vs. 7.9g), so you could substitute the same weight of shallots for onions (say 2 shallots for 1 onion) and get half the carb count. onions are quite dense, so the number of grams of carbs adds up

shallots are quite expensive too, as well as possibly being harder to find

snatchoo, as an alternative you can also use leeks if you can get them (2.9g per 100g - perhaps half a large leek or one small leek per onion) - they work very well in things like bolognese etc, and are cheaper i think

BIWI Thu 12-Sep-13 17:37:49

Do you have a Sainsbury or a Waitrose near you? Both of those sell echalion shallots (those are the ones you want, as they are bigger than ordinary shallots, which makes them much easier to peel!)

pootlebug Thu 12-Sep-13 17:43:24

Low carb salt & pepper squid:

Put some coconut flour in a bowl and season with lots of salt and pepper (more than you think you'll need....quite a bit usually ends up left in the bowl, some falls off during cooking etc).

In a second bowl lightly beat an egg.

Get some squid....we open out the big tubes (bought frozen from the local chinese supermarket), lightly score in a criss cross pattern and then cut into triangles 2-3 inches on each side. But you could use tentacles as they are, or cut the big tubes into rings.

Dip each piece of squid into the egg and drain off excess. Chuck it in the seasoned flour to coat, allow excess to fall off, and put on a plate ready to cook.

Get enough oil for deep-ish frying fairly hot....chuck in a tiny piece to check it bubbles and foams straight away and starts to brown fairly quickly. I fried in lard (because I'm not paying coconut oil prices to deep fry!) and used one block of which obviously there was still lots left in the pan. I had to chuck the squid about a bit as wasn't that 'deep' for deep frying but worked well enough.

Fry the squid in batches for a couple of minutes each, moving it about a bit every 20-30 seconds if like me you didn't really use enough oil for deep frying. It should cook quickly and be golden - if you cook it at too low a heat or for too long it will go rubbery. Remove with heatproof slotted spoon and drain on kitchen paper, keeping it warm whilst you cook the rest.

Whilst the squid is cooking, stir a chopped shallot or couple of chopped spring onions with a chilli chopped into rounds (no need to deseed) and some oil in a small pan for a couple of minutes but don't allow shallot to burn.

Sprinkle the chilli/shallot over the squid to serve. We had it with salad.

GinOnTwoWheels Fri 13-Sep-13 06:53:36

Last night I made a sort of dauphinoise with butternut squash and leeks. It was absolutley delicious. The recipe came out of the Morrisons September/Oct in store magazine and it was:

Finely slice 2 leeks and fry in butter until soft with a crushed garlic clove and some thyme, if available.
Layer the above with thinly sliced butternut squash and salt and pepper in a baking dish.
Mix together 150 ml double cream and 150 ml vegetable stock (I used marigold but I'm sure a cube would also be fine, or if you have proper veg stock, or just use twice as much cream for a proper dauphinoise) and pour over the veg.
Sprinkle with crushed hazlenuts (recipe said also breadcrumbs, but obv leave these out. You could also add crispy bacon bits to the dish or sprinkle cheese on top or use flaked almonds instead of crushed hazlenuts. I also wondered if ground almonds could be used as a breadcrumb subs in this recipe but also thought they might burn so didn't bother.
Cover with foil and bake at 220 for 20 mins, remove the foil and bake for another 20 mins or until the squash is soft and the top brown.

Enjoy!

BIWI Fri 13-Sep-13 07:59:16

Gin, that sounds lovely! But, butternut squash is quite carby - how much did the recipe call for?

Almonds would make a lovely topping, although would obviously add more carbs. I would have thought that if you added them for the last 20 minutes of the cooking time, that they shouldn't burn.

Snatchoo Fri 13-Sep-13 14:29:49

I'll see if I can get up to the Sainsbury's then later on.

I love roast veg and have had it almost every night - roast red onions, leeks (from frozen - bloody brilliant invention) and a few carrots. I'm a bit fussy with veg so I'm not going to cut back too much on the ones I do like.

And I really want to find that coconut flour!

pizza with a "quiche" as the base

adapted from the low carb gourmet book

115g full fat cream cheese
4 large eggs
80ml double cream
130g grated parmesan
2 x 125g balls mozzarella, chopped into small pieces (keep in their separate 125g quantities)
enough passata/low carb tomato sauce of your choice to spread as a topping
additional low carb toppings of your choice

preheat oven to 180C/350F/Gas mark 4. butter a large baking/roasting dish (approx. 13 x 9 in but doesn't have to be exact)

blend together cream cheese and eggs until smooth. add cream, parmesan and 1 of the chopped balls of mozzarella

pour into baking dish. and bake for 30 minutes until edges are just starting to brown and mixture seems 'set'. remove from the oven and increase the temperature to 220C/425F/Gas mark 7

spread the tomato sauce over the pizza base and add your toppings and the other chopped mozzarella ball

return to the oven and cook for 10 minutes or so, until the cheese is bubbling

makes 4 servings btw (trust me, you won't need more - it's quite dairy heavy!)

it's delicious the next day

GinOnTwoWheels Fri 13-Sep-13 18:05:10

Oops - sorry about the squash, I thought it was OK. I'd say there was about 300 g in a dish that would have fed 4 as a side dish where there was another veg on offer - I actually made half what I said above.

loopyloou Tue 17-Sep-13 09:53:31

I have quickly skimmed the thread, but can't find why I need.

I would really appreciate ideas for left over roast pork for lunchtime.

I have also got peppers, onions, spinach, leeks, aubergine, broccoli, cauliflower, chopped tomatoes, frozen veg, swede.

We had curry last night and now I can't think what to do with it. Eating it cold isn't really an option, as [whispers] it's past its best by date, but I don't want to throw it away, so reckon if I cook it in some sauce for ages, it should be fine?!

BIWI Tue 17-Sep-13 10:51:27

If you cooked it, then it's fine to eat the next day cold!

How about doing the oriental stuffed cabbage rolls that I posted? That would work really well.

loopyloou Tue 17-Sep-13 14:28:34

Thanks BIWI smile Sadly I have no cabbage (it affects my IBS).

loopyloou Tue 17-Sep-13 14:29:34

The pork was use by Sunday 15th and we roasted it on Sunday and ate about a third (Asda delivered a bigger piece than expected). Yesterday we had curry with another third and I really don't want to throw away the rest sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now