(773 Posts)
BIWI Wed 11-Apr-12 11:31:11

Asparagus Frittata (serves 2)

250g/9oz asparagus, trimmed and cut into 5cm/2in pieces
4 eggs
4 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan or Pecorino cheese
225g/8oz spring onions, finely chopped
2 tablespoons olive oil

- Cook asparagus in boiling water until tender (7-10 minutes)
- Whisk the eggs and add the cheese and the spring onions
- Pre-heat the grill
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan that can go under the grill
- Put in the asparagus; stir-fry for a minute, then pour in the eaten eggs, moving the asparagus around gently to make sure the egg mixture gets right through, and that the grated cheese is well distributed
- Let the frittata cook over a moderate heat for a few minutes until the underside is cooked and lightly browned, then put the pan under a hot grill for a minute or two until the top is set and golden brown

5.5g carbs per serving

Recipe from Rose Elliot's "The Vegetarian Low-Carb Diet Book"

Beef stroganoff

Saute finely sliced onion/shallot until going golden
Add masses of sliced mushrooms, generous salt & pepper, some torn up thyme and rosemary and a knob of butter and cook for about 5 mins.
Add a couple of cloves of crushed garlic and cook for another min.
Add the strips of cold cooked beef and mix round.
Crumble in a chicken oxo and add a slosh of boiling water.
Reduce down for a couple of mins.
Chuck in some parsley (I buy the fresh frozen stuff)
Turn off heat and stir in some cream.
Warm through and serve with green veg

By the way, the Karahi Murgh from that link on the last page is flipping divine! I left out the red peppers. Served with slow roasted cumin-y cauliflower and a courgette curry side dish I found somewhere else. Was a bit stingy on the onions too compared to the recipe but I know they are really crucial to a curry so "splashed out" by having them.

BIWI Sun 07-Apr-13 11:39:46

Celeriac Tartiflette

Rough quantities:

500g celeriac, cut into small chunks, boiled in salted water till just tender (15-20 mins)
2 little packs smoked lardons (they are usually linked packs)
2-3 echalion shallots, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic
100ml white wine
sloosh of double cream
a bay leaf or two
25g butter
Reblochon cheese - around 200-250g - cut into dice

While the celeriac is cooking, fry the shallots, lardons, garlic and bayleaves in butter in a frying pan, till all are soft/tender. Add the white wine and the cream and continue to cook gently till all is reduced.

Once the celeriac is cooked, drain it, put it into a casserole dish, add the onion/bacon/wine/cream mixture, stir in and then add the Reblochon. Stir together and season with black pepper.

Bake in the oven with a lid on the dish for around 20 minutes at around 180-200, then take the lid off and continue to cook for another 20 minutes until golden brown on top.

Lovely served with a green salad with a garlicky vinaigrette dressing.

Caulifloewr recipes including cauliflower pizza and roasted with cumin/sumac:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2013/apr/06/10-best-cauliflower-recipes

Mushroom bourgignon - instead of the flour just reduce it more:

http://smittenkitchen.com/blog/2009/01/mushroom-bourguignon/

MaryBeardfanclub Sun 14-Apr-13 21:09:52

Cauliflower, cumin & goats cheese frittata (serves 4)

6 eggs
1 shallot, chopped
4-6 rashers bacon
half cauli in florets
1tsp cumin seeds
5 spring onions
1 garlic clove crushed
1 handful mint, chopped
100g soft goats cheese chopped into small chunks
salt & pepper

put the grill on medium; parboil the cauli florets. Fry bacon, shallots and garlic. Whisk eggs in a bowl, sprinkle with cumin seeds, mint, spring onions and half the goats cheese. Add bacon, garlic, shallots and cauliflower. Heat a frying pan (15-20cm diameter) and add oil. When it's hot add the frittata mix and cook 15 mins on medium heat. sprinkle with remaining cheese and grill.

Indian vegetable fritters (i used no flour and less egg):
http://smittenkitchen.com/blog/2006/11/throwing-pancakes-to-the-wind/

Wonderful lime, green chilli, spinach, mint and yoghurt curry sauce - I did with tofu - recipe is pheasant - but would be fantastic with
Chicken:
http://www.cookstr.com/recipes/pheasant-with-green-chillies

(Forgot to say obviously tweak the veg in the Indian fritters! I used carrot, courgette and leek).

slow cooker 'ropa vieja' - a bit like pulled pork but with beef this looks nice though i haven't tried it myself

Had delicious vegetarian supper, v quick

Halloumi with roasted veg

Serves 3-4

1 large courgette
1 aubergine
2-3 sweet peppers
Juice of 1 lemon
Olive oil
1 or 2 packs halloumi depending on how hungry you are, how many of you there are and how sensitive you are to dairy (we had one pack between two o us because we are greedy)

Preheat oven to high temperature

Roughly chop veg and put in roasting tin with liberal amount of olive oil

Roast veg for 20-30 mins until just starting to look roasted

Slice halloumi and scatter over the top of the veg and put back in the oven for 10 mins until the halloumi is golden

Squeeze over the lemon juice and serve

BlackAffronted Fri 26-Apr-13 08:03:34

A yummy onion/parsley sauce to have with gammon etc.

1 small pot double cream
1 egg
1 large handfull chopped fresh parsley
1 shallot, chopped
Butter for frying

Soften the shallot in butter over a medium heat. Pour over the cream and whisk in the egg. Continue to whisk as the cream/egg heats up. Keep whisking until it has thickens. Stir through the parsley. Season.

BlackAffronted Fri 26-Apr-13 08:07:04

Tuna burgers

1 tin of tuna, drained as much as you can
1 egg
2 spring onions, chopped
Handful grated cheese
Tablespoon mayo
Salt & pepper

Mix all the ingredients thoroughly. Heat butter in a frying pan to a medium heat. Form the mixture into 2 patties, then place in the frying pan. Let them cook for at least 6/7 minutes without moving, or else they will break! Gently flip over, they should be golden & crispy on one side. Cook without moving them for 5/6 minutes on the other side. Remove and serve with salad.

cnicholls Mon 29-Apr-13 17:23:18

FRIED CABBAGE WITH BACON

www.deliaonline.com/recipes/type-of-dish/party-food/accompaniment/fried-cabbage-with-bacon.html

This is lush, you could add chicken as well to beef it up (IYKWIM)
Just go easy on the onion smile

Bessie123 Thu 02-May-13 11:52:14

nappyaddict I don't know if you still want a marrow recipe - I've only just got round to reading the thread blush

Slice marrow into rounds and brush with oil then roast in oven (or fry gently in a pan) till soft

Top with bolognaise sauce and then cheese (goats' cheese is nice, or a cheese sauce)

Grill till brown then eat with green salad, YUM

Bessie123 Thu 02-May-13 12:01:24

ALTERNATIVE TUNA BURGER RECIPE - slightly more carby than blackaffronted's

Tuna - I use a pack or 2 of diced fresh tuna, depending on how many people. 2 packs will feed 6 hungry adults easily
Small piece ginger
Spring onion
Tamari soy sauce
Squeeze of lemon juice or zest of half a lemon
1 egg
Ground flax seed to add plus more for coating

I usually guess the quantities

Whizz everything together in a food processor then shape into patties. Coat in flax seed then shallow fry. These are nice with remoulade or coleslaw and celeriac chips or roasted fennel. I often eat them in an oopsie roll with a tiny smear of ketchup and mustard and a little gerkhin (for after bootcamp)

WestleyAndButtockUp Fri 03-May-13 18:03:16

Thanks flipflopflap for the blog link

BlackAffronted Sat 04-May-13 18:46:41

Veg Rosti

1 carrot, grated
1 hunk of swede, grated
1 courgette, grated
3 spring onions, chopped
1 egg
Salt & pepper

Mix all the grated veg together, and squeeze out as much liquid as you can. Heat (medium) some butter or oil in a small frying pan, and add half the mixture. Fry gently until golden & crispy on one side. Flip & cook the other side. Be gentle!! Serve when cooked through.

Bessie123 Sat 04-May-13 21:43:36

blackaffronted those veg rosti sound nice. Do you think they would be good with celeriac instead of carrot?

BlackAffronted Mon 06-May-13 17:27:22

Yes, I thionk they woudl be really tasty with celeriac. No shops round my way are stocking it just now though, I miss it sad

BlackAffronted Mon 06-May-13 17:30:15

Creamy Broccoli & bacon soup

1 head of broccoli, chopped
4 rashers smokey bacon, chopped
2 shallots, diced
600ml veg stock
Glug of cream
Salt & pepper

Fry the bacon bits for 5 minutes in a saucepan in some butter. Add teh shallots and fry until they soften but dont colour. Add the chooped broccoli & stock, and allow to simmer gently for 30 minutes. Season, add the cream & blend with a stick blender.

BlackAffronted Mon 06-May-13 17:33:44

Smokey Pork Burgers

1 shallot, finely diced
500g pork mince
4 rashers smoked bacon, chopped
1 tsp smokey paprika
slice of cheese to serve

Fry the bacon bits in a good glug of oil on a medium heat for 5 minutes. Add teh shallot & cook for another 5 minutes, add the paprika, stir & cook for a further 2 minutes. Tip the mix into a large bowl & add the pork mince & season. Form 4 patties from the combined mix and fry on a medium heat until cooked through & browned on both side. Remove the pan from the heat but leave the burgers in. Add a slice of cheese, allow to melt a bit then serve. Ths will keep more of the tasty juices in.

chimichurri sauce looks delicious with barbecued meat

GinotPrigio Wed 08-May-13 17:52:24
CrabbyBigbottom Wed 08-May-13 18:36:42

I've been eating this in the mornings and can't quite compute that I'm on a diet...

Brunch/lunch salad
Bits of leftover chicken (this was BBQed so all smoky and crispy skinned)
An avocado, sliced
Lots of watercress
Cubes of feta cheese
All drenched in home made garlic mayonnaise.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now