(778 Posts)
BIWI Wed 11-Apr-12 11:31:11

Asparagus Frittata (serves 2)

250g/9oz asparagus, trimmed and cut into 5cm/2in pieces
4 eggs
4 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan or Pecorino cheese
225g/8oz spring onions, finely chopped
2 tablespoons olive oil

- Cook asparagus in boiling water until tender (7-10 minutes)
- Whisk the eggs and add the cheese and the spring onions
- Pre-heat the grill
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan that can go under the grill
- Put in the asparagus; stir-fry for a minute, then pour in the eaten eggs, moving the asparagus around gently to make sure the egg mixture gets right through, and that the grated cheese is well distributed
- Let the frittata cook over a moderate heat for a few minutes until the underside is cooked and lightly browned, then put the pan under a hot grill for a minute or two until the top is set and golden brown

5.5g carbs per serving

Recipe from Rose Elliot's "The Vegetarian Low-Carb Diet Book"

MyHeadWasInTheSandNowNot Tue 29-Jan-13 22:40:00

Aubergine and Haloumi bake <drools>

... adds another book to the very long list!

Snowkey Tue 29-Jan-13 23:22:21

The cranks recipe is on this thread dated 20th April.

hillyhilly Wed 30-Jan-13 17:36:05

Not a recipe but a top tip I discovered today.
I bought Romaine hearts from Morrisons, 2 for £1, you simply peel off the leaves and use them as a scoop or wrap. I have chicken tikka masala and tuna with coleslaw in them at lunch today.
The leaves are long (6" or so) and sturdy so they can take a sandwich filling (or my leftovers!)

prettybird Wed 30-Jan-13 18:47:54

Made the celeriac gratin earlier this week, to go with roast pheasant. It was yummy! Cooked for about an hour at 200C, so it was melt in the mouth.

prettybird Thu 31-Jan-13 17:39:01

Meant to mention that when I told dh that I wanted the skin with my cold chicken, he suggested that instead of having cold slimy pieces, that I put it in the oven (which was on for dh and ds' oven chips) for a few minutes.

Brilliant idea - the crisped up skin was yummy! smile

nappyaddict Thu 31-Jan-13 19:02:38

hillyhilly Do they taste ok if you make a week's worth in advance and keep them in the fridge to use as needed?

AuntieMaggie Thu 31-Jan-13 22:45:26

Marking place...

chicken, celeriac, feta and spinach bake. (Original recipe was sweet potato)

Cut chicken into small pieces and brown; slice celeriac thinly; either wilt fresh spinach or get frozen spinach and defrost; squeeze out water and mix with pack of feta. Then you are also meant to fry and onion with thyme and put that into the feta mix - I was going to do leek and forgot. Layer of celeriac, layer of chicken, then all the spinach mixture, then another layer or chicken, and finally another layer of celeriac. Pour over a bit of cream and top up with stock. Bake in oven for 45 minutes. Take out and crumble mozzarella and top. Grill until cheese melted and browning. Very good.

prettybird Fri 01-Feb-13 15:32:40

That sounds yummy! smile

MrsHoolie Sun 03-Feb-13 17:54:13

Creamy pesto chicken

This is a slow cooker recipe adapted from the hamlyn slow cooker book. I missed out the tbs of flour so the sauce is runny but extremely delicious.

600g chicken breast
15g butter
Glug of olive oil
200g shallots,halved
300m chicken stock (could probably do 200)
4tbs white wine
1tbs pesto
3tbs double cream
Grated Parmesan
A little chopped basil

Heat oil and butter in frying pan.
Add chicken on a high heat until golden but not cooked through.
Add to slow cooker
Add shallots to frying pan,cook for 5mins
Add the wine,pesto and stock to shallots
Pour shallots and sauce into SC.
Cook on high for 3-4hours.Don't leave it for 10 hours as the chicken will be overlooked and stringy.
After 4hrs stir the cream just before serving,sprinkle with chopped basil and Parmesan.

Get nice plump chicken breasts from the butcher if you can.
We had it with mashed celeriac and steamed kale.

PostBellumBugsy Thu 07-Feb-13 12:20:45

PBB's Tiffin

1 oz butter
1 tsp cocoa powder
1 oz ground almonds
1 oz coconut flour or dessicated coconut
1 tsp (rounded) flax seed (or you could use ground sesame seeds)
1 tsp ( level) splenda or powdered sweetner

Melt butter in bowl, mix in all the dry ingredients. Should look like a thick paste. You may need to adjust the ingredients slightly to get the right consistency.

Spread onto a plate, thinly, thickly - however you like & stick in the fridge or 30 mins.

Enjoy with tea / coffee and you can actually believe you are eating yummy tiffin. Suprisingly filling.

(Total 4/5 carbs)

FruitOwl Thu 07-Feb-13 15:51:09

Marking place! Some lovely ideas here, can't wait to try them out. Now where's my apron?

prettybird Sun 10-Feb-13 15:24:01

I adapted Nigella's Flourless Chocolate Lime Cake for when we had people around for dinner on Friday night. The whole thing has a carb count of 168 - but as it is very rich, a small slice of a 1/16 (with plenty of whipped cream) would be an ample and delicious sufficiency.smile

I used Fruisana rather than caster sugar, so was able to reduce the amount of sugar.

Shall I post up the recipe?

prettybird Sun 10-Feb-13 15:29:02

Meant to say, that the whole thing is cooked in a 23cm springform tin, which means that cutting small rich slices is easy, so a slice would be about 10g of carbs. Next time I'll experiment with cutting the Fruisana even more. smile

Jacaqueen Sun 10-Feb-13 20:25:02

Oh go on then. Post the recipe if you insist. As long as you state the carb count.

nappyaddict Sun 10-Feb-13 21:08:05

What is Fruisana?

prettybird Sun 10-Feb-13 21:21:36

It's the brand name for a fructose sugar. It's a lot sweeter than ordinary sugar so you can use less and is also supposed to have a lower GI.

Kiriwawa Mon 11-Feb-13 18:30:15

Just posting fatzak's flaxseed bread recipe on here so I don't lose it:

Flax Bread
80g flax seeds
2 eggs
25g butter
salt to taste
2g baking powder (gluten free)
Mix all together. Put in plastic sandwich container. Microwave for 3 mins.

EwanHoozami Wed 13-Feb-13 09:28:43

Moroccan Chicken, Swede and Halloumi traybake:

serves two hungry folks.

- 6 chicken thighs
- 1 small swede in 1 inch cubes
- half a packet of halloumi in half-inch cubes
- a green pepper in big chunks
- two big wedges of lemon
- 1 tbsp of ras-el-hanout dry spice mix (or you could mix a variation on cinnamon, chilli powder, coriander, cumin, nutmeg, turmeric and white pepper for the same effect)

1 - parboil swede for about 5-10 mins until yielding to a sharp knife. At the same time, heat oven to about 200c and warm a big roasting tray with a good slosh of groundnut oil and butter.

2 - when the oil is hot, add the drained swede and chicken thighs and put in oven for 15 mins or beginning to brown

3 - take out of oven and add pepper, halloumi, lemon and spice mix, stir to coat and put back in oven until the chicken and swede look cooked and golden.

it smells divine

I had it with a pile of rocket, it might be nice with cauli rice too. DH had couscous.

EwanHoozami Wed 13-Feb-13 09:31:05

^^ the timings really depend on your oven, btw. It's quite important that the swede comes out on the charred side for the flavour.

MyHeadWasInTheSandNowNot Wed 13-Feb-13 12:03:01

BIWI what did you serve your mushroom pate with? I have some in the fridge not homemade but I can't think of anything to have it 'on' other than thinly sliced raw veg (peppers, carrots, cucumber etc) and I'm not that thrilled at that idea.

A little snack/canape type affair:

Mix small pieces of smoked salmon into cream cheese, give a good grind of black pepper, and then put dollops of the mix on to thick cold crunchy slices of cucumber.

Garlicky Chorizo and Kale broth - dead easy and quick

a generous amount (I had half a packet of Sainsbury's kale - erm, not sure of g quantity but it was the size of one of those largish spinach packets)
2 medium cloves of garlic, roughly chopped
chorizo (I had about a sausage worth but would depend how chunky yours was and how hungry you are)
boiling water

Slice up chorizo, fry a bit (no need for oil as lots of fat in the chorizo) then add the garlic and fry a couple more minutes, then add the kale and toss around for a minute or so, then add some boiling water and steam/simmer for five minutes. And that's it. No need for stock cube as the chorizo and garlic gives lots of flavour.

i have previously added other random stuff from the fridge eg celeriac, brussel sprouts, spinach to good effect. Guess you could also slosh some cream/creme fraiche/tomato puree (not too much as tomatoes a bit carby) in if you wanted to. And if on maintenance a splash of sherry could be good.

AuntieMaggie Sat 16-Feb-13 12:23:01

Caribbean chicken stew

Uses 2 onions but you can use shallots I guess and I'm not sure how carby the all purpose seasoning can be - mines just spices.

16 chicken pieces (can be thighs, drumsticks, breasts... I sometimes use chopped breast. Recipe says skinned but I don't bother)
1/2 tsp salt
2 tbsp all purpose seasoning
1/2 tsp black pepper
2 tsp chicken seasoning
400ml oil (I don't use anywhere near as much but this is what the recipe says)
3 spring onions
2 onions
1 scotch bonnet chilli
1 garlic clove
1 pepper
knob of butter

Cover chicken in seasoning, salt and pepper in a bowl and leave for 30 mins. Heat oil in pan and fry the chicken until browned (keep the left over seasoning if any left in the bowl.) then put on a plate. Scoop out as much of the oil as possible then add the chicken, left over seasoning, chopped veg, butter and 450ml water and simmer for 15 mins until thickened.

MapofTassie Tue 19-Feb-13 11:54:15

Marking my place on this. Am on my phone and want to check these recipes out properly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now