(773 Posts)
BIWI Wed 11-Apr-12 11:31:11

Asparagus Frittata (serves 2)

250g/9oz asparagus, trimmed and cut into 5cm/2in pieces
4 eggs
4 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan or Pecorino cheese
225g/8oz spring onions, finely chopped
2 tablespoons olive oil

- Cook asparagus in boiling water until tender (7-10 minutes)
- Whisk the eggs and add the cheese and the spring onions
- Pre-heat the grill
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan that can go under the grill
- Put in the asparagus; stir-fry for a minute, then pour in the eaten eggs, moving the asparagus around gently to make sure the egg mixture gets right through, and that the grated cheese is well distributed
- Let the frittata cook over a moderate heat for a few minutes until the underside is cooked and lightly browned, then put the pan under a hot grill for a minute or two until the top is set and golden brown

5.5g carbs per serving

Recipe from Rose Elliot's "The Vegetarian Low-Carb Diet Book"

lighthouse i would mash softened butter with garlic, rosemary, salt and pepper, spread on the steaks then grill or fry

febes Sat 01-Feb-14 08:52:17

Been a bit naughty this weekend. 3 gin and slimlines last night. 3 glasses of red wine tonight. It was my sister's 10th anniversary so she had a bbq/party today and as chief bridesmaid I had to celebrate! Back on it tomorrow.
I had lost 7cm off my belly the other day when I measured.

BIWI Sat 01-Feb-14 19:35:21

Corned Beef Hash serves 3-4

1 340g tin corned beef (avoid the light/low fat ones if you can), diced into cm chunks
100g shallots (about 3-4 echalion ones), sliced
500g celeriac (a small one) peeled and cut into chunks about 1cm square
3tbps Worcestershire sauce
1.5 tsps wholegrain mustard

lard/coconut oil for frying

In a bowl, mix the Worcestershire sauce and the mustard, and then add the corned beef. Stir it well and set aside

Boil the celeriac in salted water for about 10 minutes/until tender, then drain in a colander and let them steam dry for a couple of minutes

Heat some oil in a frying pan, and fry the shallots for a couple of minutes on a high heat, and then add the celeriac. Turn the heat down a little, and continue to fry until the shallots and celeriac are starting to brown. Season with salt/pepper

Add the corned beef, stir it all in and then fry for another 5 minutes, stirring well so that it doesn't stick to the pan

Serve with a fried egg or two.

RatherBeOnThePiste Sun 02-Feb-14 06:59:33

I'm going to try this corned beef hash, had it recently in NY and it was lush. We had breakfast in a trad diner, had a mushroom omelette, it came with a huge pile of potatoes (diced and fried) a pile of corned beef hash and two rounds of wheat toast. Not the most low carb affair.

LittleMissDisorganized Mon 03-Feb-14 20:27:40

Taco bake adapted from Sten Sture Skaldeman's Low Carb High Fat Cookbook
Serves 2 very generously or 3-4 with other veg

500g beef mince
150g cream cheese
100ml crème fraiche
half sachet taco spice mix/ cajun spice mix (or your own blend)
2 large leeks
50-100g grated hard cheese

Mix together cream cheese and crème fraiche and spread over the base of an overproof dish.
Cook mince in a pan until browned, add taco mix and mix thoroughly to achieve even coating. Add mince to dish on top of cheese mix.
Slice leeks with a mandolin or very finely slice with a knife and scatter over the top of the dish. Cover this this with the grated cheese.

Bake at 225 for 15 minutes.

Woolfey Tue 04-Feb-14 08:53:58

Thanks for posting that recipe LittleMiss. I'll be giving it a try.

LittleMissDisorganized Tue 04-Feb-14 12:19:47

I put about 50g of spinach that was tired and in need of using under the leeks the second time I made it and it was even better - I reckon you could vary the greens quite a bit, cabbage, sprouts, etc.

Lighthousekeeping Tue 04-Feb-14 12:28:22

My tesco delivery just arrived. I ordered everything for the fish pie and all that turned up was four pieces of smoked haddock!

ThatYoghurtWontPotItself Wed 05-Feb-14 18:26:51

lighthouse how frustrating! can you do a sort of kedgeree using cauliflower instead of rice?

MyPreciousRing Mon 10-Feb-14 13:59:23

Some fab ideas here!
Thanks

siiiiiiiiigh Mon 10-Feb-14 14:20:35

taco bake sounds yum!

ChesterDrawers Mon 24-Feb-14 16:16:09

Doner kebab

Old Slimming World recipe, but adapted to LC using high fat beef or lamb mince.

Ingredients:
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon dried Italian herbs
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
500g/1.1 lb lamb mince

Method:
Preheat oven to gas mark 4/180C/350F

In a large bowl, combine dried oregano, dried Italian herbs, garlic powder, onion powder, cayenne pepper, salt and black pepper.

Add the lamb mince and mix thoroughly for 2-3 minutes. Take out all of your aggression on the kebab mixture, punching and kneading until no air pockets remain and the kebab meat is extremely smooth.

Shape the seasoned mince into a loaf and place on a baking tray.

Bake in the middle shelf of the oven for 1 hour 20 minutes, turning the loaf half way through the cooking time to ensure even browning.

Once cooked, remove from the oven and cover with foil. Allow to rest for 10 minutes.

Slice the donor kebab as thinly as possible and serve with salad and sauces.

this isn't really a recipe, but i happened to catch a random cooking programme hosted by james martin just now, where a chap cooked what is apparently the 'original' bubble and squeak recipe, which didn't have potatoes in. apparently bubble and squeak with potatoes came in during the war when meat was scarcer, but in georgian/victorian times it was a mixture of leftover cooked cabbage and roast beef

so it's shredded cooked cabbage refried in plenty of butter, add shredded roast beef and heat through, serve

yumsk <giles wemmbley-hogg>

NoelOfLorst Fri 07-Mar-14 17:18:19

Low Carb Profiteroles

If you've tried the famous 'Oopsie Rolls' you may, like me, have found them to be spectacularly shit BUT they do have one very good use- in making low carb profiteroles.

Cool up a batch of oopsies (I add a tablespoon or so of ground almonds to the yolk mix for this recipe) but make em small.

Whip up some double cream with a tiny bit of Splenda (you could leave this out). When the mini oopsies are cool, sandwich them in pairs with the cream, then drizzle with dark chocolate (a little goes a long way)

NoelOfLorst Fri 07-Mar-14 17:19:14

Sorry if that recipe has been posted before btw, I've lost track

FelixFelix Thu 13-Mar-14 18:44:33

Just made the butter chicken from this thread and it was delicious! So easy to make too. Served with garlic roasted broccoli. DP really enjoyed it too grin

BIWI Wed 23-Apr-14 21:34:10

Easy Cauliflower Cheese

Serves 2 as a main course/4 as a side dish

1 large cauliflower
250g grated mature cheddar
300ml double cream
Salt, black pepper

1.Cut the leaves and stalk off the cauliflower and break it into florets
2.Boil in salted water for 8-9 minutes until just tender, then drain well
3.Put the cooked cauliflower into an oven dish, tip the cheese over the top and pour the cream over the top of that; season with plenty of freshly ground black pepper
4.Put a lid on the dish and bake for 20 minutes at 200C/180C fan; after 20 minutes remove the lid and turn the oven to its highest setting and cook until the top is browned (or put it under the grill for a few minutes)

BIWI Wed 30-Apr-14 14:01:25

Home-made 'soft' mayo: (consistency is more like salad cream)

1 egg
150ml sunflower oil
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
1 teaspoon raspberry vinegar
salt and black pepper

1. Put the egg in the small bowl of a food processor (or a blender, or use a stick blender in an appropriate bowl), and add the mustard, salt and pepper, and about a tablespoon of the oil

2. Slowly pour in the rest of the oil while the motor/blender is running, and the mixture will thicken slightly

3. When all the oil is incorporated, add the vinegars and blend

4. Taste and adjust seasoning, including vinegar, to your liking

Raspberry vinegar isn't especially easy to get hold of, but if you can find some, it adds a sweet note to the mayo which is lovely.

BIWI Wed 30-Apr-14 14:01:44

Courgettes, aubergine and olives in tomato sauce (serves 4)

1 aubergine, diced (not too small - keep the pieces reasonably chunky)
2 medium courgettes (diced about the same size as the courgette)
2-3 echalion shallots, chopped
1 x 400g tin/carton of chopped tomatoes
handful of black olives (as many as you like)
2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped, or crushed
1 teaspoon of dried oregano or 1 tablespoon fresh oregano, chopped
plenty of olive oil
salt and pepper

1. In a large frying pan, pour a generous sloosh of olive oil - enough to cover the base of the pan well

2. When the oil is hot, add the aubergine and fry over a medium to high heat until browned (you may need to add more oil as aubergine is like a sponge)

3. When browned, add the courgettes and shallots and continue to fry until they are also browned

4. Season with salt, pepper and oregano, then add the tomatoes

5. Turn the heat down, so that the mixture is simmering rather than boiling, and then add the olives and garlic and simmer for about 20 minutes

BIWI Wed 30-Apr-14 14:02:16

courgette - diced about the same size as the aubergine, obviously!

Valdeeves Wed 30-Apr-14 22:16:47

These recipes are brilliant xxxx

ForeskinHyena Thu 01-May-14 23:45:53

Place marking as I'm joining the May boot camp.

Thanks BIWI! Xx

DulcetMoans Fri 02-May-14 21:01:20

I'm gonna need this!

MintyCoolMojito Mon 05-May-14 07:41:04

Place marking for future reference - am making shopping list now!

daisychicken Mon 05-May-14 11:36:51

Courgette Gratin (from Telegraph website & I posted on the Bootcamp thread)

4 courgettes
1 onion (use a shallot for lower carbs)
1 clove of garlic
175ml dbl cream
Grated lemon zest
60g grated Parmesan
10 leaves of basil
Handful of ground almonds (recipe uses breadcrumbs)
Handful of pumpkin seeds (optional but adds a little crunch if you use)

Preheat oven 200degC / GM6

Slice courgette diagonally into 1cm thick slices, toss in olive oil, salt & pepper. Put in oven dish at top of oven for 10 min till just soft.

While they’re cooking finely slice the onion and garlic and gently fry in oil until soft. When the courgettes are cooked drop them into a bowl with the onion, garlic, roughly chopped basil, ¾ of the parmesan and a little grated lemon zest. Mix together well and the spread out in an ovenproof baking dish.

Evenly pour over the double cream and scatter over the ground almonds, remaining parmesan and pumpkin seeds over the top.

Bake on the top shelf of the oven for fifteen minutes until bubbling and golden on top. Finish off under the grill to get a really golden topping if needed.

Variations
Layer some sliced tomatoes amongst the courgettes before pouring over the double cream.

Was gorgeous! I had it with sausages but any meat I think would go well, leftovers heated well but the courgette does get a little soggy so be aware that it doesn't really keep and it wouldn't freeze.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now