(735 Posts)
BIWI Cote D'Ivoire Wed 11-Apr-12 11:31:11

Asparagus Frittata (serves 2)

250g/9oz asparagus, trimmed and cut into 5cm/2in pieces
4 eggs
4 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan or Pecorino cheese
225g/8oz spring onions, finely chopped
2 tablespoons olive oil

- Cook asparagus in boiling water until tender (7-10 minutes)
- Whisk the eggs and add the cheese and the spring onions
- Pre-heat the grill
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan that can go under the grill
- Put in the asparagus; stir-fry for a minute, then pour in the eaten eggs, moving the asparagus around gently to make sure the egg mixture gets right through, and that the grated cheese is well distributed
- Let the frittata cook over a moderate heat for a few minutes until the underside is cooked and lightly browned, then put the pan under a hot grill for a minute or two until the top is set and golden brown

5.5g carbs per serving

Recipe from Rose Elliot's "The Vegetarian Low-Carb Diet Book"

BIWI Cote D'Ivoire Tue 17-Sep-13 14:39:29

It will be fine for another couple of days, as long as you've kept it in the fridge.

The other thing you could do would be to make a creamy mushroom sauce. Wrap the pork tightly in foil and cook it in the oven until it's really properly heated through, then add to your creamy sauce.

ooh yes, the pork will still be fine, you cooked it so the use-by date sort of 'resets' in my book! you could:

- fry it up in butter with some of the veg
- heat the pork through in the oven while steaming leeks, broccoli and cauliflower on the hob, then add some cream and top with plenty of cheddar cheese and put under the grill to make a sort of gratin
- cut the pork into strips and stir-fry with some peppers, onions and leeks, with cajun spices and oil, so it's like a sort of fajita without the tortillas (you could serve with small amount of homemade tomato salsa and sour cream)
- the creamy mushroom sauce as BIWI suggests (mmm)
- make a salad, and have the pork hot or cold (heat in foil in the oven) with mayonnaise (my personal favourite... i am lazy)

loopyloou Tue 17-Sep-13 16:18:31

OOh thanks for the ideas. smile

Yes, the pork has been kept in the fridge. The creamy mushroom sauce and the gratin are sounding best so far smile

caughtintheact Tue 17-Sep-13 22:26:39

www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/cream_of_celeriac_soup_59784

Made this today, obv without the croutons. I also missed out the onion and used double the amount of pancetta as I had a 100g pack (Aldi sells twin packs of 100g each), and added some cooked chopped chicken at the end as I had some I needed to use up. It made a very filling meal, just one bowl was easily enough.

devilinside Wed 18-Sep-13 12:23:38

Hi, just signed up to boot camp, a very quick accompaniment to meat or fish is one of those big mushrooms, grilled with garlic butter and filled with cheese at the last minute. Makes a change from green veg

loopyloou Wed 18-Sep-13 13:04:22

Ooh yes, we often have Portobello mushrooms topped with Stilton and grilled.

Aubergine melts

Slice a large aubergine lengthways into slices about 1cm thick. Score each one a few times with a knife and brush on both sides with oil. Season. Grill on both sides. Add toppings - salami/tuna/prawns/olives etc then top with grated cheese and put back under the grill until bubbling.

Here's my easy peasy fish pie:
One pack of fish pie mix (300g ish)
150g creme fraiche
50g grated cheddar
1shallot sliced
Half a fennel sliced
About half a celeriac
Boil and mash the celeriac with a big blob of butter and 25g creme fraiche.
Saute fennel and shallot.
Mix together fish, creme fraiche and cheddar with the fennel and shallot and top with the celeriac mash.
Bake at 200°C for 35-45 mins until the top crisps a little.
Serves two piggies smile

BIWI Cote D'Ivoire Thu 19-Sep-13 20:07:43

That sounds lovely!

whodunnit Thu 19-Sep-13 21:31:01

just marking my place and looking for ideas....

It is biwi, and easy as fishpie!

I actually converted it from 'The Hairy Dieters' low fat fish pie!

loopyloou Sat 21-Sep-13 19:49:15

Can anyone tell me what oil to use for making mayonnaise?

I'm sure I've read that sunflower oil isn't healthy and you should use olive oil, but I find the taste of olive oil in mayonnaise a bit strong. Can I use groundnut oil or is this no better than sunflower oil?

I think it's to do with omega 3 or omega 6, sorry to be so vague. I've been searching on MN but can't find the info I wanted now!

BIWI Cote D'Ivoire Sat 21-Sep-13 20:00:20

I wouldn't worry too much about it, to be honest, loopylou!

Use something like groundnut oil, as it is light in flavour. If you use extra virgin olive oil it is way too strong and ends up with a sort of bitter flavour.

You might want to add a little bit of olive oil into it, but mostly you're looking for a flavourless oil.

BIWI Cote D'Ivoire Sat 21-Sep-13 20:02:40

There is a difference between using oils and cooking with oils. This might be helpful for you

loopyloou Sat 21-Sep-13 20:26:18

Thanks BIWI smile

KellyKapoor Mon 30-Sep-13 13:28:01

I just made this soup from Sophie Dahl's book and was really pleasantly surprised - very quick and easy to make.

Asparagus Soup with Parmesan (serves 4)

2 leeks, white part only, finely chopped
1 shallot, finely shopped
1 small bunch of asparagus (around 24 small-medium stems), trimmed and chopped
1 litre hot vegetable or chicken stock
Parmesan rind
Salt and pepper

In a soup pot, heat 1tbsp olive oil and gently sweat the shallot and leeks until translucent. Add the hot stock and parmesan rind. Leave for around 15 minutes on a low heat. Add the asparagus for around 7 minutes. Season and remove what is left of the parmesan rind. Let it cool and then puree.

After tasting after pureeing I added some extra grated parmesan - maybe a tablespoon - which tastes really good. The next time I might add some garlic.

losenotloose Mon 30-Sep-13 13:35:20

I use half olive oil and half melted butter for home made mayonnaise!

somewherebecomingrain Wed 20-Nov-13 09:18:49

Salmon, asparagus, tomato, mushroom, an other Mediterranean veg, lemon juice, chilli, sea salt.

Stir fried in a pan.

BIWI Cote D'Ivoire Thu 02-Jan-14 10:22:31

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

BIWI Cote D'Ivoire Thu 02-Jan-14 10:23:07

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

BIWI Cote D'Ivoire Thu 02-Jan-14 10:28:13

Chicken tikka massala serves 4

Although the list of instructions makes this sound complicated, actually it's very straightfoward and is really, really tasty

6 boned and skinned chicken thighs (about 675g/1.5lbs)
juice of 2 limes
1 teaspoon paprika
1.5 teaspoons cumin seeds
0.5 teaspoon coriander seeds
2 shallots, roughly chopped
4 large garlic cloves, roughly chopped
4cm (1.5in) piece of fresh root ginger, peeled and roughly chopped
2 green chillies, deseeded and roughly chopped
125g (4.5oz) plain, Greek-style yoghurt
0.5 teaspoon ground garam masala
1 tablespoon vegetable oil

Sauce:

1 tin chopped tomatoes
1 rounded teaspoon tomato purée
handful of coriander leaves, roughly chopped
3cm (1.25in) piece fresh root ginger, peeled and grated
1 teaspoon lime juice
0.5 teaspoon caster sugar
50g (1.75oz) unsalted butter
125ml (4fl oz) single cream

Method:

Cut the chicken thighs into small chunks

Combine the lime juice and paprika and mix with the chicken

Heat a small, heavy-based frying pan over a moderate heat. Add the cumin and coriander seeds and roast for about 1 minute, stirring constantly or shaking the pan to prevent them from burning. As soon as they start to darken and you catch the spicy aroma, remove the heat and put on a plate and let them cool. In a small food processor, a grinder/electric coffee mill, or a pestle and mortar, grind the spices to as fine a powder as you can manage

Put the shallots, garlic, ginger and chillies into a food processor. Drain the lime juice and paprika mixture from the chicken and add to the onion mixture. Process until smooth. Tip into a mixing bowl and stir in the yoghurt, garam masala and add half the cumin/coriander powder

Pour this mixture over the chicken, making sure that each piece is coated. Cover with clingfilm and marinate overnight in the fridge.

When you're ready to cook, pre-heat the grill, with the grill pan in place, to its hottest setting.

Take the chicken out of the yoghurt marinade and arrange on the hot grill pan. Drizzle with the oil and grill for about 5 minutes on each side or until beginning to char around the edges. Pour any cooking juices into a bowl, and keep the chicken warm whilst you make the sauce

Combine the tomatoes, tomato puree, coriander leaves, ginger, lime juice, sugar and remaining cumin/coriander powder in a blender or food processor and process until smooth.

Heat the butter in a saucepan and when melted, add the spiced tomato mixture and the cream. Bring to simmering point, then strain in the reserved cooking juices and add the cooked chicken pieces.

Re-heat and serve piping hot.

From "Curry" (various authors) published by Dorling Kindersley

Badvoc Thu 02-Jan-14 10:38:20

You know the curried cauliflower soup recipe (ipd?) could you do it with any other veg?

BIWI Cote D'Ivoire Thu 02-Jan-14 10:52:48

I've never cooked it so can't say - but would be worth a try with broccoli or celeriac, I'd have thought?

Badvoc Thu 02-Jan-14 10:55:57

Hi all!
A couple of recipes to add that may help...
I have (whispers) the Dukan gluten free oatbran gallette for breakfast. They are really quite nice! I know they are carb, but not too bad in the scheme of things.
They can also be used as a sandwich base/wrap and can be sweet or savory.
My fave mash it carrot and parsnip smile yummy and kids love it too.
Just peel, and dice equal amounts of carrot and parsnip. Then mash with butter and/or cream. Add salt and pepper.
Can I ask...ahem...what does celeriac taste of!?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now