(778 Posts)
BIWI Wed 11-Apr-12 11:31:11

Asparagus Frittata (serves 2)

250g/9oz asparagus, trimmed and cut into 5cm/2in pieces
4 eggs
4 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan or Pecorino cheese
225g/8oz spring onions, finely chopped
2 tablespoons olive oil

- Cook asparagus in boiling water until tender (7-10 minutes)
- Whisk the eggs and add the cheese and the spring onions
- Pre-heat the grill
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan that can go under the grill
- Put in the asparagus; stir-fry for a minute, then pour in the eaten eggs, moving the asparagus around gently to make sure the egg mixture gets right through, and that the grated cheese is well distributed
- Let the frittata cook over a moderate heat for a few minutes until the underside is cooked and lightly browned, then put the pan under a hot grill for a minute or two until the top is set and golden brown

5.5g carbs per serving

Recipe from Rose Elliot's "The Vegetarian Low-Carb Diet Book"

BIWI Tue 06-Aug-13 08:58:06

Oh I read that recipe on Sunday and thought it sounded lovely!

Soy sauce and a little lime juice would probably make a good substitute for fish sauce I think.

that's an idea, i didn't think of those.

also, i used only shallots, rather than onion as suggested

Lighthousekeeping Wed 07-Aug-13 18:04:19

The braised cabbage smells divine. I'm having it with salmon tonight and bacon tomorrow night.

BlackAffronted Sun 11-Aug-13 13:01:04

Made these omelette spring rolls for lunch today, and they were fab! You can make them a few hours in advance too, then microwave to warm up.

This made 3 rolls for my lunch

2 eggs, beaten
1 garlic love, crushed
Large dash soy sauce
Little bit of ginger, grated
Handful of beansprouts
Thinly sliced carrot/spring onion/cabbage/mushroom (a little of each)
Oil

Heat the oil in a frying pan. Stir fry the veg, soy sauce, garlic & ginger for a few minutes. Transfer to a plate.

Add a third of the egg mixture to a heated small frying pan. Swirl the egg mix round, as if you were making a thin pancake. Cook for 30 seconds then flip. After another 30 seconds, remove to a plate. repeat with the remaining mixture until you have 3 thin omelette pancakes.

Add a third of the veg mixture to each pncake & roll up.

You could add cooked chicken, pork, tofu or any other veg you like. I might add a sprinkle of chinese 5 spice next time too.

BIWI Sun 11-Aug-13 13:08:26

Yum! Some leftover belly pork, with fat, would be a good addition to that - get the protein/fat levels up and the carbs down. (Not that I can see there would be too many carbs in that, as long as it's not too carrot-heavy)

BlackAffronted Sun 11-Aug-13 13:41:41

I used a handful of a pre-bagged stir fry mix, there were like 4 thin strands of carrot! I cooked it in plenty of cocnut oil.

BIWI Sun 11-Aug-13 13:42:50

I'm definitely going to try those - easy as well as yummy!

BIWI Sun 11-Aug-13 14:54:39

Chocolate and raspberry liqueur ice-cream (serves 6)

175g 90% cocoa dark chocolate, broken into pieces (I used Lindt)
175ml double cream
2 medium eggs
2 tablespoons (made-up) coffee - i.e. liquid, not granules!
1 tablespoon Chambord, raspberry liqueur (you could use any liqueur I guess - doesn't have to be raspberry)
2 teaspoons vanilla extract (try and use one without sugar if you can)

In a food processor, blitz the chocolate into rubble
Add the eggs, coffee, liqueur and vanilla extract and blitz again - try and get it as smooth as you can

Heat the cream in a small pan until little bubbles form around the edge of the pan - swish it round a couple of times to make sure that the cream is properly hot, but don't let it boil

Pour the hot cream onto the chocolate mix and blitz again - let the hot cream get the chocolate melted - and then pour into your ice-cream maker and churn for around 15-20 mins, according to your ice-cream maker.

I don't have carb counts for the liqueur or vanilla extract, but the carb counts for the chocolate and the cream amount to 4.55 g carbs per person, based on this making 6 servings. The amount of liqueur/vanilla extract is relatively small, so I would guess that they don't add that much to the overall carb count.

My plan is to serve this with a small amount of fresh raspberry puree (with no added sugar) and a couple of fresh raspberries for decoration.

Vicky08 Thu 29-Aug-13 17:05:41

I have a quick question, I can't have cheese in any form which doesn't usually bother me tbh but I keep coming across low carb pancake recipes which look gorgeous, I love pancakes. But they are all made with cream cheese, is there an alternative to cream cheese that would work????

Vicky08 Thu 29-Aug-13 17:10:15

Here is an example if anyone is interested [[http://citytosticks.com/2013/05/14/low-carb-pancakes-with-chocolate-Mushroom bourgignon - instead of the flour just reduce it more: smittenkitchen.com/blog/2009/01/mushroom-bourguignon//#more-407

Vicky08 Thu 29-Aug-13 17:12:18

No that's not it, wait I'll try again http://citytosticks.com/2013/05/14/low-carb-pancakes-with-chocolate-sauce/#more-407

Vicky08 Thu 29-Aug-13 17:12:48
ZingWantsCake Sun 01-Sep-13 11:58:17

marking place

AuntieMaggie Sun 01-Sep-13 12:46:55

Vicky there's a recipe that uses whey protein powder that BlackAffronted came up with:

3 tablespoons whey protein (I use this one, the natural one is lowest in carbs)
2 tablespoons ground almonds
half teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon melted butter or coconut oil
1 large egg
2 teaspoon water

Mix all the ingredients together.
Add some butter/coconut oil to a frying pan
Heat to a medium heat and then add a tablespoon or 2 of the batter and et it cook for a minute, then flip & cook the other side. Should make 3 or 4 pancakes.
Less than 3g carbs for the whole recipe

Vicky08 Mon 02-Sep-13 16:29:27

Thanks auntiemaggie that recipe sounds great. I'm def going to try it. Where do you buy your whey protein powder from?

AuntieMaggie Mon 02-Sep-13 16:46:26

this Holland and Barrett one the flavoured ones are nice too.

Purple2012 Mon 02-Sep-13 19:51:20

I see some recipes have flaxseed. Would that be ok in yoghurt? I have been having a small portion of nuts with greek yoghurt for breakfast (i have the fat free or low fat as the full fat is way too creamy and i cant eat it), would flaxseed in yoghurt be a good low carb breakfast.

Hello - just signed up for Autumn Bootcamp. I've also just started a new job, and the canteen food is crap! Anyone got any quick, easy low-carb packed lunch recipes? Thanks!

Vicky08 Tue 03-Sep-13 17:33:01

Thanks AuntiMagie

LonelyGoatherd Wed 04-Sep-13 14:34:52

I'm looking for quick and easy breakfasts - any ideas?

lonelygoatherd - from the spreadsheet:

Breakfast ideas

- Full fat greek yoghurt, with or without a little double cream mixed in, or with a few drops of sugar free vanilla essence or a sprinkling of vanilla powder

- Eggs (poached/scrambled/fried/hard boiled/omelettes etc) - try and add fat such as butter or mayonnaise. Hard boiled eggs are especially good to have in the fridge if you think you're going to be pushed for time, but do try and add fat too (mayonnaise; butter etc). Soft-boiled eggs with asparagus for dipping is lovely.

- Leftovers from previous meals - breakfast is just another meal and it's ok to have bolognese if that's what you've got available!

- Bacon (check for added sugar)

- Sausages (check carb count on the packet) - these can be cooked in advance too and kept in the fridge to be eaten cold

- Spinach/spring greens/kale/other leafy green veg wilted in butter

- Kippers with butter (check the carb count on the packet of kippers)

- Crustless quiches / frittatas - these are good cooked in advance and kept in the fridge for quick meals. Use a muffin pan and a mixture of low carb veggies, cheeses and/or meats and beaten egg and cook in the oven.

- Cream cheese or hard cheese wrapped in ham

- Slices of hard cheese

- Cooked meats (check for added sugar/additives)

- Mushrooms cooked in butter, with or without a little boursin stirred in at the end

- Coffee with double cream

- Tuna mayonnaise with lettuce

- Smoked salmon with eggs or cream cheese

- Cream cheese pancakes (see further up the recipe thread)

- Avocado

holmessweetholmes - do you have access to a fridge?

purple2012 - flaxseed is low carb, but some people have found it stalls them (me included)

flaxseed also gives me a dodgy tummy sometimes

Purple2012 Thu 05-Sep-13 16:35:30

I had a little bit of flaxseed with yoghurt today. And I have a recipe book with loads of different recipes that use it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now