(748 Posts)
BIWI Wed 11-Apr-12 11:31:11

Asparagus Frittata (serves 2)

250g/9oz asparagus, trimmed and cut into 5cm/2in pieces
4 eggs
4 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan or Pecorino cheese
225g/8oz spring onions, finely chopped
2 tablespoons olive oil

- Cook asparagus in boiling water until tender (7-10 minutes)
- Whisk the eggs and add the cheese and the spring onions
- Pre-heat the grill
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan that can go under the grill
- Put in the asparagus; stir-fry for a minute, then pour in the eaten eggs, moving the asparagus around gently to make sure the egg mixture gets right through, and that the grated cheese is well distributed
- Let the frittata cook over a moderate heat for a few minutes until the underside is cooked and lightly browned, then put the pan under a hot grill for a minute or two until the top is set and golden brown

5.5g carbs per serving

Recipe from Rose Elliot's "The Vegetarian Low-Carb Diet Book"

This recipe looks good to replace coleslaw, I'm going to give it a go after my next shop 9whuch will include a squillion celeriac!)

(Which obviously!

skandi1 Fri 11-Jan-13 15:47:06

What can I do with Savoy cabbage to go with roast chicken?
Well something other than stir frying it with garlic and butter anyway.

JulesJules Fri 11-Jan-13 18:07:38

I stir fry it with lots of butter and fennel seeds which is lovely if you like fennel seeds of course...

skandi1 Fri 11-Jan-13 23:45:56

Jules. Thank you. I will try that tomorrow. I love fennel seed. smile

Ruprekt Sat 12-Jan-13 14:40:55

Burger-Deluxe

Beef mince
egg
shallots

Blue cheese
Bacon
2 x portobello mushrooms
Salad

Make burger by squishing mince in bowl with chopped shallots and egg.
Form into hefty burgers.
Heat oil and fry burgers til lightly browned. Place in oven til cooked through.

Meanwhile destalk mushrooms and fry whole in pan with butter.
When burgers are cooked, place in half of mushroom, top with bacon and blue cheese and salad. Place other mushroom on top.

Voila!!!! A fabulous filling burger!

BlackAffronted Sat 12-Jan-13 14:52:05

Skandi, did you see the cabbage cabonara recipe I posted?

BlackAffronted Sat 12-Jan-13 14:53:27

Biwi, that tom sauce served 5 of us, and I gave myself the smallest portion. You dont eat the onion, you remove it before serving.

Ruprekt Sun 13-Jan-13 17:35:56

Ahem

Did you see my deluxe burger recipe??? wink

BigStickBIWI Sun 13-Jan-13 17:37:56

No I hadn't. But now I have! Looks gorgeous.

troyandabedinthemorning Mon 14-Jan-13 09:38:47

Not exactly a recipe, but this morning for breakfast I had omelette muffins which are great for if you need a low carb breakfast or snack on the go.

Take a silicone muffin tray, and grease with butter. Place into a deep oven tray and surround with warm water creating a bain marie.
Take a large jug and break in some eggs (some being the number of hole in the muffin tray plus 1), add some cream, salt and pepper. Whisk.
Pour into the muffin holes and then add omelette fillings to each one- I used ham, cheese and some spring onion.

Bake in the center of a gas mark 6 oven for 30 minutes, until the eggs are cooked. They can be eaten straight from the oven or stored in the fridge in an air tight container for 1-2 days. Enjoy cold or reheat in the microwave for 30s-1min per muffin.

BigStickBIWI Mon 14-Jan-13 09:47:43

Mushroom Pate (A Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall recipe)

250g mushrooms
30g butter
3-4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
250g cream cheese
salt and freshly ground black pepper

Finely chop the mushrooms
Melt the butter in a large frying pan over a medium heat, and saute the mushrooms and garlic, stirring frequently, for 10 minutes or until all the moisture the mushrooms release has evaporated; leave to cool for a few minutes
Blitz the mushrooms in a food processor until smooth, then add the cream cheese and blitz again until well blended
Season to taste then leave to cool completely
Refrigerate for at least an hour for the garlic flavour to develop

Carb count for this depends on which cream cheese you use - if you use Sainsbury's Full Fat cream cheese (lower in carbs than Philly), this works out at 12g carbs for the whole recipe - which is enough for 10-12 as a canape/6 people as a starter

HFW also suggests adding cream to this to make a mushroom sauce

BigStickBIWI Mon 14-Jan-13 10:08:01

Beef Casserole serves 6

2 packs shin of beef (around 1-1.5 kg)
2 large carrots (250g)
celery (125g - around 1/3 to 1/2 a head of celery)
shallots (250g - 4-6 banana/echallion shallots)
2-3 large cloves of garlic, finely chopped (or use a garlic crusher)
Beef stock cube
Dried oregano, chilli flakes (optional), salt and black pepper)
oil for frying

Trim the meat and cut into large-ish cubes
In a large frying pan, heat the oil and fry the meat until browned (do this in small batches, so that you are actually frying - if you put too much in at once, the temperature will drop and you end up steaming rather than frying it)
Season each batch lightly with salt and pepper
As each batch is browned, transfer it into a casserole dish (or into your slow cooker if you prefer)

Peel and slice the carrots and shallots, slice the celery. Peel and chop the garlic.

Using the same pan that you fried the meat in, fry the vegetables until they are softened a little (you may need to add a bit more oil). Season, and add the garlic, herbs/chilli - quantities to taste, but go sparingly with the chilli - the idea is to add a little extra depth to the flavour, not to make this hot. Cook for another minute or so.

Once the veg is soft, transfer it to the casserole dish and stir into the meat

The bottom of your frying pan will now be nice and brown. Add around a pint of water to the pan and, on the heat, stir it so that you scrape up all the bits from the bottom. Add the stock cube and stir till it's dissolved. Then add this to the casserole dish. You want a reasonable amount of liquid in this, so add more water if you need to.

Transfer the dish to the oven, where you need to cook this in a medium oven for around 2-3 hours. Longer, slower cooking is fine. Check it after an hour or so, and stir everything round a little. If there's still a lot of liquid, leave the lid off the for last half an hour or so, until it's reduced to the quantity you like.

This works really well in the slow cooker too. (If you have a pressure cooker, this will need around 10-12 minutes on high pressure, and then cooked a bit longer to reduce the liquid)

These quantities come to 30g carbs for the whole thing, so if you make 6 portions, each will be 5g carbs per person.

You can use this as the basis for different versions - e.g. you could add a tin of tomatoes, or you could add a glass or so of red wine, etc. Obviously these all add carbs, which you would need to include.

Ruprekt Tue 15-Jan-13 21:47:28
Ruprekt Tue 15-Jan-13 21:50:53

Stroganoff but replace Fat Free fromage frais with double cream!

Serve with Celeriac mash and brussel sprouts.

Ruprekt Tue 15-Jan-13 21:52:01
Ruprekt Tue 15-Jan-13 21:53:41
Ruprekt Tue 15-Jan-13 21:54:46
SavoirFaire Tue 15-Jan-13 21:58:04

Broccoli rice as requested (quite excited to have been able to post something culinary. Has certainly never happened to me before. If my home ec teacher could see me now... etc etc).

Ingredients: small handful of chopped leek, some broccoli, some salt (exact huh?).

Grate broccoli into 'rice type' pieces.
Fry some butter in a pan.
Fry off a handful of chopped leek (about half a leek for a 2 person portion of broccoli).
Add broccoli and saute for 3 or 4 minutes max. Add some salt.

That's it. It was lovely.

Omg where did all these recipes one from!
Look bloody lovely though.....will transfer them over at the weekend

Ruprekt Tue 15-Jan-13 22:38:39

When I embrace something Gless - I really go for it!!!!!!

Some lovely recipes on here.

nappyaddict Wed 16-Jan-13 13:45:40

Does anyone have a slow cooker recipe for a non-tomato or gravy based sausage casserole?

BigStickBIWI Wed 16-Jan-13 14:01:39

There's one here, nappy addict

It will obviously need amending to make it low carb, i.e. no potatoes, substitute shallots for onions, etc. But as a basic recipe it could be worth a try.

BigStickBIWI Wed 16-Jan-13 14:09:06

If I were going to make it, this is what I would do:

Brown your sausages first, in a frying pan in some oil. Remove from the pan and put into your slow cooker.
In the same pan, fry some chopped shallots, leek, celery and celeriac (cut into small cubes) and some finely chopped garlic; season with salt, black pepper, dried herbs of your choosing and, if you like, a chopped chilli or some chilli flakes
When softened, add to the slow cooker.
Add to the pan some chicken stock, or water, and bring to the boil, scraping up all the bits that have stuck to the bottom. You might want to add a sloosh of wine, or some tomato puree, but just be aware that you are adding carbs if you do this.
Put the stock into the slow cooker. You need some liquid so that it will cook, but not too much. Remember that liquid is much less likely to evaporate in a slow cooker.
Cook for however long - depends on your slow cooker - mine would be on all day, but there is only one setting on mine, 'on'!
If it's too liquidy when it's cooked, drain off the liquid into a separate saucepan and boil until it's reduced to the quantity you want.

nappyaddict Wed 16-Jan-13 15:23:34

Argh I keep forgetting I should be replacing onions with shallots so thank you for reminding me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now