(747 Posts)
BIWI Wed 11-Apr-12 11:31:11

Asparagus Frittata (serves 2)

250g/9oz asparagus, trimmed and cut into 5cm/2in pieces
4 eggs
4 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan or Pecorino cheese
225g/8oz spring onions, finely chopped
2 tablespoons olive oil

- Cook asparagus in boiling water until tender (7-10 minutes)
- Whisk the eggs and add the cheese and the spring onions
- Pre-heat the grill
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan that can go under the grill
- Put in the asparagus; stir-fry for a minute, then pour in the eaten eggs, moving the asparagus around gently to make sure the egg mixture gets right through, and that the grated cheese is well distributed
- Let the frittata cook over a moderate heat for a few minutes until the underside is cooked and lightly browned, then put the pan under a hot grill for a minute or two until the top is set and golden brown

5.5g carbs per serving

Recipe from Rose Elliot's "The Vegetarian Low-Carb Diet Book"

vnmum Fri 12-Oct-12 19:16:31

sauteed sprouts with chorizo

serves 4 as a side

250g brussels sprouts
olive oil
large knob of butter
chopped chorizo (however much you fancy)
1 tbsp worcestershire sauce
salt and pepper to taste
1 tsp italian herbs
1 tbsp dried chopped chives
1 grated garlic clove or a sprinkling of garlic powder/granules

push sprouts through the fine slicing attachment of food processor then fill the bowl with water

add good drizzle of oil and the butter to a large pan over medium heat. add chorizo, herbs and pinch of salt and cook for 5 - 10 mins till crisp.

drain the sprouts and add to the pan, turn heat up. fry for 10 mins or till soft. add splash of water if needed.

add worcester sauce, toss and turn heat off.
add garlic, give a good stir then serve

apparently it has 3.4g carbs per serving

NotAgainAndAgain Mon 15-Oct-12 13:03:10

may I pretty please ask a link or recipe for braised cabbage? Thansalot.

I could not find ground flaxseed, so bought what Tesco had - brown flaxseed. If I put it through coffee grinder, would it make ok? or it not the right one 'cause it's brown?

NotAgainAndAgain Mon 15-Oct-12 13:06:44

Pepperonchini Frittata (Italian Omlette) from Come & Dine with me

4 tbsp olive oil
2 red green peppers, deseeded and sliced
200ml veg stock
1 shallot , sliced
4 free range farm eggs
70g goat's cheese, crumbled
Handful of chopped parsley
Dressed salad to serve

Heat the oil in a frying pan and sauté the peppers until starting to soften. Add the stock and simmer for 20 minutes until the peppers are tender and the liquid has evaporated.

Once the liquid has evaporated turn up the heat and allow the peppers to char. Transfer to a bowl and set aside, then fry the onion until soft and set aside with the peppers.

Add the eggs, goat's cheese and herbs to the fried veg and whisk to combine. Season with salt and pepper.

Pour the mixture into the pan, shake evenly to spread then cook gently for 5 minutes. Get the grill going whilst it cooks, then finish the top of the frittata under the grill, cooking until golden.

Allow to stand in the pan for 5 minutes, then turn out and allow to cool. Slice and serve with dressed salad and bread.

ForSaletotheHighestBidder Tue 16-Oct-12 16:44:22

Found this when looking for a recipe to have as a side dish with some roast pork. Probably not a good side dish but would be a lovely starter or dinner party nibble!

http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2009/08/stuffed-mushrooms-baby/

AuntieMaggie Mon 22-Oct-12 16:22:54

Thai chicken soup

1 litre chicken stock
200ml coconut milk
1 3-4cm ginger
2 tbsp fish sauce
1 red chilli
1 tsp tumeric
1 tsp tamarind paste
2 tbsp lime juice
250g chinese leaves such as pak choi
approx 150g/2cups of left over chicken
chopped coriander to serve (optional)

Put chicken stock in saucepan and heat
Add all ingredients except leaves
once piping hot and cooked through add leaves and cook for just a minute or until tender
Serve

You can add noodles but make sure they're the zero carb ones!

MegTheCat Mon 29-Oct-12 22:00:03

Braised creamy cabbage
morethantoast.org/2012/05/mtt-slow-braised-creamy-cabbage/

1 white cabbage
50g butter
142ml double cream (a small sized pot)
Pinch sea salt

Remove any nasty leaves from the outside of the cabbage.
Chop the cabbage through the root in half, in half again, and those pieces in half once more so you’re left with 8 equal-sized slices.
Melt 25g butter in a heavy-bottomed pan, preferably with a lid, over a low-medium heat.
Layer the cabbage over the bottom of the pan and cook for 10 minutes, until golden brown. Flip over and melt another 25g of butter. Cook for a further 10 minutes until the second side is also golden brown.
Pour the cream over, place the lid on the pan (or wrap foil tightly round the pan if there’s no lid) and turn the heat down low. Cook for 20 minutes.
Flip the cabbage once more and replace the lid again, cook for a further 20 minutes.
Sprinkle with a pinch of sea salt and enjoy.

Made it tonight and it is amazing

MegTheCat Mon 29-Oct-12 22:16:21

Turkish style fried aubergine with yoghurt sauce (Patlican)
A Madhur Jaffrey recipe from Eastern Vegetarian Cooking

You don't have to peel the aubergine but the skin can be tough when fried. Good for using up an aubergine getting a bit past its best.

1 aubergine (about 3/4 lb)
1 tbs lemon juice
olive oil
8 fl oz yoghurt
1 clove garlic
salt, pepper, olive oil

Peel aubergine and cut into 1/2 in thick slices.
Lay slices out flat, sprinkle with 1/2 tsp salt and 1-2 tsp lemon juice and rub in. Turn over and repeat. Put in a bowl and leave 30 mins. Drain and pat dry. (I tried leaving this step out but the aubergine took forever to cook so not recommended)
Fry aubergine in olive over medium heat in a single layer 2-3 mins each side or until reddish brown. You may need to do it in batches.
Yoghurt sauce: Beat yoghurt with 1/4 tsp salt, 1 clove garlic mashed to a pulp in a mortar, 1/16 tsp ground black pepper, 2 tsp fruity olive oil.

BigBroomstickBIWI Tue 30-Oct-12 15:30:40

Easy Pots de Creme (serves 6)

175ml/6 fl oz milk
175g/6 oz plain chocolate, broken into pieces
2 eggs
2 tablespoons strong coffee
1 tablespoon liqueur of your choice (recipe calls for orange, I used raspberry)

In a small saucepan heat the milk until small beads form around the edge, but do not allow to boil

In a food processor, blitz the chocolate with the eggs, coffee and liqueur

Add the hot milk and blend again until smooth

Pour into ramekins/glasses and chill. (I served each one with a couple of fresh raspberries on the top)

In terms of texture, this is a bit like Angel Delight - I think it would probably freeze quite nicely and could be a lovely chocolate ice-cream.

Without the alcohol, this works out at 8.05g carbs per person, based on using Green & Black's 85% cocoa dark chocolate. But as the alcohol is only 1 tablespoon, I doubt it would add a huge amount.

PorkyScratching Thu 22-Nov-12 21:00:33

Found it!

Celeriac fondant, it really is tasty & you can reduce the stock to make a really tasty gravy.

photo here

1 celeriac
Enough stock to almost cover the fondants in the pan (i use chicken stock)
1 crushed garlic clove
salt
pepper
25g butter plus a drizzle of olive oil

Cut the celeriac into 2 cm deep rectangles (or circles if you prefer, use a cookie cutter). Heat the oil & butter in a large pan, then brown the celeriac wedges on both sides until golden. Pour in the stock, add the garlic & seasonings and then allow to simmer, covered, for about 25 minutes. the celeriac should be cooked through. Remove the celeriac to a warm plate and reduce the stock down until you are left with less than half the amount. Pour over the celeriac.

WineGless Sat 24-Nov-12 09:28:32

Marking my place I will finish transferring recipes onto the low carb section

froufroulala Sat 22-Dec-12 01:02:01

MulledwineGless Fri 28-Dec-12 09:46:39

Bumping for anyone who is starting low carbing after Xmas

BIWIshYouAMerryChristmas Sun 30-Dec-12 18:27:34

Bumping this to keep it on my list!

anewdispensation Sun 30-Dec-12 21:46:06

bumping as well

Chocberry Wed 02-Jan-13 17:24:01

bumpety bump

caramelwaffle Wed 02-Jan-13 22:52:35

Bump

Bump

RatherBeOnThePiste Thu 03-Jan-13 07:55:38

Marking my place!

wine

JulesJules Thu 03-Jan-13 20:37:03

There seem to be loads of veggie recipes which is encouraging, thought this would not be do-able for me

BlackAffronted Thu 03-Jan-13 20:46:14

The braised cabbage is to die for! I suggest you all try it grin

Bessie123 Fri 04-Jan-13 00:34:35

I made the braised cabbage recipe last night with Brussels sprouts instead of cabbage. It was very nice.

MulledwineGless Fri 04-Jan-13 11:16:07

I have FINALLY finished transferring them all over to here
[http://www.mumsnet.com/Recipes/type/low-carb recipe site]]

I find it useful to look at them on there as I get a bit lost on a long thread like this!

MulledwineGless Fri 04-Jan-13 11:16:38

And again here is the link (doh!)
[http://www.mumsnet.com/Recipes/type/low-carb recipe site]]

MulledwineGless Fri 04-Jan-13 11:17:07
BIWIshYouAMerryChristmas Fri 04-Jan-13 13:32:59

grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now