(773 Posts)
BIWI Wed 11-Apr-12 11:31:11

Asparagus Frittata (serves 2)

250g/9oz asparagus, trimmed and cut into 5cm/2in pieces
4 eggs
4 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan or Pecorino cheese
225g/8oz spring onions, finely chopped
2 tablespoons olive oil

- Cook asparagus in boiling water until tender (7-10 minutes)
- Whisk the eggs and add the cheese and the spring onions
- Pre-heat the grill
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan that can go under the grill
- Put in the asparagus; stir-fry for a minute, then pour in the eaten eggs, moving the asparagus around gently to make sure the egg mixture gets right through, and that the grated cheese is well distributed
- Let the frittata cook over a moderate heat for a few minutes until the underside is cooked and lightly browned, then put the pan under a hot grill for a minute or two until the top is set and golden brown

5.5g carbs per serving

Recipe from Rose Elliot's "The Vegetarian Low-Carb Diet Book"

Im another who cant eat pasta. I made bolognaise last night and the rest of the family had it with pasta. I had mine with brocolli and cauliflower. I really dont miss pasta at all.

TellMeLater Tue 02-Oct-12 10:08:58

Spaghetti squash is a good substitute for pasta, cauliflower rise is better with curries, imo.

ForSaletotheHighestBidder Tue 02-Oct-12 15:23:36

Pork mince recipe as requested on chat thread. Not a proper recipe as such, kind of made it up as I went along so you might need to tweak the flavours as you cook it.

Asian style stir fried pork mince with broccoli
Ingredients
Tablespoon oil
Small head broccoli, broken into florets
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
2 tsp finely grated fresh ginger
1/2 tsp dried chilli flakes or a fresh red chilli
Handful of mushrooms, sliced
400g pork mince
small amount of chicken stock, about 100-150ml
1 tbs soy sauce
1 tbs fish sauce
1 tsp sugar (I used splenda)
1 tsp sesame oil
3 shallots, sliced

Heat oil in a pan or wok.
Stir-fry pork mince for a couple of minutes until it starts to cook through. Add garlic and ginger, shallots, chilli, mushroom, broccoli.
Toss around, add stock, soy, sugar, fish sauce, sesame oil. Cook, stirring occasionally for 5-8 mins.

BigStickBIWI Tue 02-Oct-12 16:43:29

ForSale - that sounds really good. Must try that.

TellMeLater Tue 02-Oct-12 21:03:33

Pizza recipe taken from peaceloveandlowcarb.com

Pizza

Ingredients
Crust-
2 Eggs
4 oz. Cream Cheese
1/4 Cup Grated Parmesan Cheese
1 1/4 Cup Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
1/8 Tsp Garlic Powder
1/8 Tsp Onion Powder
1/4 oregano

Directions
Crust -
Preheat oven to 375*

Spray a 9x13 Glass baking dish with non-stick cooking spray and line with parchment paper. After lining the dish with the parchment paper, also spray the paper with non-stick cooking spray

In a large mixing bowl, mix the cream cheese and eggs with a hand mixer on medium speed until well blended.

Next, add in the Parmesan cheese and all three spices. Stir in thoroughly. Stir in the mozzarella cheese until all of the ingredients are completely mixed together.

With a rubber spatula scrape the mixture in to the glass baking dish and spread around evenly, lining the entire bottom of the dish.

Bake on the middle rack for 20-25 minutes. If you like a crispier crust, you can leave it in the oven longer. Just be sure to keep checking on it so it does not burn.

When the crust is done baking, let it cool on a cooling rack while still on the parchment paper but not in the dish. After the crust has cooled, slide a spatula under the crust to loosen it from the parchment paper but leave it on the paper and place it back in the baking dish.

Top with sauce, remainder of the cheese and the toppings of your choice. Bake for 15-20 minutes. Let cool, slice, and enjoy!!

BigStickBIWI Tue 02-Oct-12 21:15:20

That sounds really good!

Spicy Cauliflower Rice

Cooking Steps
Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan.
Add onions, garlic and parsley and fry for a few minutes until the onions starts to get translucent.
Then add the riced cauliflower and let fry for another five minutes or so, stirring every once in a while so the cauliflower and onions get evenly mixed.
Towards the end, add the chili flakes (start with just a small amount, taste it and then add more if needed until you have a level of heat that you prefer! You don’t want this too hot, it should have a pleasant heat to it…) and then salt and pepper to taste.

Serves 4
10-15 min
This is a Non-Dairy Recipe
Ingredients
• 1 Cauliflower head, grated into “rice” over the coarse side of a grater.
• 1 Onion, finely chopped.
• 2-3 cloves of Garlic, minced.
• 2 tbsp chopped Parsley.
• Chili Flakes.
• Salt and crushed Black Pepper.
• 3 tbsp extra virgin Olive Oil.

forsale woo! Sounds so nice.. I shall be writing this down nand trying this week :D

I have defrosted a pack of chicken thighs, going to roast some ofthem with tikka marinade paste and leave the rest plain.

I know it isnt a recipe as such but tonight is busy and this is a really quick dinner.

BigStickBIWI Thu 04-Oct-12 09:01:27

Celeriac and leek mash (serves 2 generously)

1/4 large celeriac, peeled and chopped into inch-square chunks
1 large leek, washed and sliced

Boil the celeriac in salted water till it's tender - about 20-25 minutes
Add the sliced leeks to the celeriac and continue to boil until the leeks are tender - about 2 minutes
Drain the vegetables, then return to the pan
Add a large knob of butter and then use a hand blender to mash the veg - the texture is up to you
Season with black pepper and sea salt, to taste

NotAgainAndAgain Sat 06-Oct-12 16:17:00

Marrow Tower (marrows 1.6 g carb)
Marrows 3 medium sized
Eggs - 3
Mayo 2 ts
Sour cream or creme fraiche 2ts
Cheese (hard, but cheddar is ok too) 150g
Garlic 5 cloves
Parsley-dill-chives as much as fancy

1. Grate marrows, remove liquid, add eggs, salt, pepper, mix.

2.on tefal fry-pan make some sort of pan-cakes- 3 or 4. It may be tricky to turn them as they break, so I use two same size frypans and turn them by flipping to another frypan which is on the hob too and ready. If using one frypan - not a problem if they break really, at the end they are as good for the recipe.

3.Assemble cooled pancakes stacking and alternating with sauce.

Sauce: grate cheese and garlic finely, add mayo and sour cream/creme fraiche, add herbs and mix. You can control thickness adding/reducing creme freche and/or finely chopped herbs.

Finish off by finely sliced tomatoes over the last layer of sauce.
Put in the fridge for flavour to develop and shape to set.

Notes:
1.if you do not gobble it in one go, it can last to 3 days in the fridge - great side dish and cold accompaniment to main course.
2. not good before going out - garlic alert!
3. I assemble it in a flat dish with sides - top of my round glass casserole

NotAgainAndAgain Sat 06-Oct-12 16:17:34

Cut as cake

NotAgainAndAgain Sat 06-Oct-12 16:44:17

Pate Tower
2/3- shallot onions
100 sundried tomatoes
200 sour-cream or mix 100/100 mayo-creme fraiche

1. Saute 2-3 (or more if you like it) shallots in olive oil. Put aside. When cooled, add finely cut sun-dried tomatoes (100g).
2. mince 2 lb of chicken liver, remove the liquid, add 2 eggs, salt, pepper, and make sort of pancakes on frying pan (I again use 2 frypans)
3. garlic through the press into the sour-cream mix.

On top of each pancake spread onions-sundried tomatoes mix, then sour-cream mis. Repeat. Put in the fridge to set.

If I cook both "towers" - I am covered for 2 days. (I do not kiss on those 2 days) blush

NotAgainAndAgain Sat 06-Oct-12 16:47:29

/Users/eharr/Desktop/getImage-3.jpeg

NotAgainAndAgain Sat 06-Oct-12 16:48:11

oops, I tried to put a picture, it does not work, sorry

hurricanewyn Sun 07-Oct-12 12:50:11

Celeriac & Blue Cheese Roulade

1/2 oz / 15g butter
8 oz / 225g cooked spinach, drained & chopped
2/3 cup / 160ml cream
4 large eggs, seperated
1/2 oz / 15g parmesan, grated
pinch of nutmeg
salt & black pepper

Filling Ingredients:
8 oz / 225g celeriac
lemon juice
3 oz / 85g blue cheese
4 oz / 125g rocitta cheese
black pepper

1 Preheat the oven to 200 C and line a swiss roll tin with parchment paper
2 Melt the butter ina saucepan and add the spinach. Cook gently until all the liquid has evaporated, stirring frequently. Remove the pan from the heat & stir in the cream, egg yolks, parmesan, nutmeg & seasoning.
3 Wisk the egg whites until stiff, fold them gently into the spinach mixture and then spoon into the prepared tin. Spread the mixture evenly & use a metal spatula to smooth the surface.
4 Bake in the oven for 10-15 mins until the roulade is firm to the touch & lightly golden on top. Carefully turn out onto a sheet of wax paper & peel away the lining paper. Roll it up with the paper inside & leave to cool slightly.
5 To make the filling, peel & grate the celeriac into a bowl & sprinkle with lemon juice. Blend the blue cheese and ricotta together & mix with the celeriac & a little black pepper.
6 Unroll the roulade, spread with the filling & roll up again. Serve at once or wrap loosely & chill.

The book I got this from is American & had no metric measurements. I've used google for the conversions, but if you have an electric scales that does both you'll probably be better off with using the imperial measurements

hurricanewyn Sun 07-Oct-12 13:01:07

Lamb Shish Kebab

50ml / 2 fl oz olive oil
1 tbsp Worcester Sauce
1 spring onion
2 cloves garlic
1 tsp cumin powder
1/2 tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp dried rosemary
1/4 tsp black pepper
250g/ 1/2 lb boneless lamb leg steak

In a blender, combine the olive oil, Worcester sauce, lemon juice, spring onion, garlic, cumin powder, smoked paprika, dried oregano, dried rosemary & black pepper.

Cut the lamb into several medium-large pieces. In a bowl add the lamb & blended ingredients. Mix well & marinade for at least 4 hours or overnight if possible.

Preheat the oven to 200C/400F/Gas Mark 6

Arrange the lamb pieces on a wire rack over a roasting tray & bake on the highest oven shelf for 10 mins.

Turn the lamb pieces & bake for a further 6 mins.

Turn the lamb pieces once more & bake for a further 3-4 mins or until just beginning to char.

Remove the lamb & set aside on a plate or serving dish to rest for 2-3 mins.

hurricanewyn Sun 07-Oct-12 13:08:49

Lamb Doner Kebab

1 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp dried Italian herbs
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
500g / 1.1 lb lamb mince

Preheat the oven to 180c/350F/Gas Mark 4

In a large bowl, combine all ingredients apart from the mince.

Add the lamb mince & mix throughly for 2-3 mins. Take out all of your aggression on the kebab mix, punching & kneading until no air pockets remain & the mix is smooth.

Shape the mince into a loaf & place on a baking tray.

Bake in the middle shelf of the oven for 80 mins, turning loaf half way to evenly brown.

Once cooked, remove from oven & cover with foil. Allow to rest for 10 mins.

Slice the doner kebab as thinly as possible when serving.

hurricanewyn Sun 07-Oct-12 13:13:18

White Kebab sauce

3 tbsp mayo
1 tbsp greek yoghurt
1 tsp olive oil
1/4 tsp garlic powder
Pinch of salt
Pinch of parsley
1tbsp water

(enough for one serving)

In a bowl combine the mayo, yoghurt, olive oil, garlic powder, salt & parsley. Mix thoroughly until well combined.

Add the water & mix thoroughly until the sauce reaches the desired consistency.

Chill for 1-2 hours before serving.

(Anyone know of a low carb pitta??)

ForSaletotheHighestBidder Mon 08-Oct-12 15:17:37

This looks good, am going to make with alternative low carb cheese sauce:

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1990/plaice-rollups
http://www.food.com/recipe/creamy-cheese-sauce-for-veggies-low-carb-47373

hurricane That lamb doner sounds very nice...I'll be tryin it definitely!!

cheese sauce

1 tablespoon butter
2 tablespoons heavy cream
2 ounces grated cheddar cheese
2 ounces cream cheese
1/4 teaspoon paprika
1 dash Worcestershire sauce
Directions:

Melt all in saucepan.
Serve over your fave veggies!

butterflyexperience Mon 08-Oct-12 18:58:25

Only just realised that this thread existed!
Thanks PS86 smile

butterflyexperience Mon 08-Oct-12 19:05:25

I'm new to this thread but just came across this recipe and it sounds divine!
Taken from: thedivinelowcarb.blogspot.co.uk/search/label/bacon%20bacon%20bacon

Bacon Mushroom Parmesan Alfredo Chicken
Ingredients
3 very big skinless boneless chicken breasts or equivalent
6 strips of bacon cut in half (and their drippings from frying)
~1 package of mushrooms (from 1/4cup to 1.5cup, whatever you have)
1/2 cube butter cut in thin slices (that's 1/8 cup or 4 oz for those without cubes)
handful of shredded parmesan cheese (1/4cup to 1cup, whatever you have)
half a jar (or 6-8oz homemade) alfredo sauce or some variant on that
baking pan (I used square 8")

Instructions
heat oven to 350 degrees F.
cook the half bacon slices (you want 3-4 per chicken breast) until ~ 1/2 or more done
put slices of butter over bottom of baking pan
put sliced mushrooms over the butter
put part of the parmesan lightly sprinkled over it all
cut fat off chicken breasts (if you wish) and season them both sides with onion powder, garlic powder, and the herbal season of your choice (I used Green Goddess dressing base from Penzey's, italian seasoning would work too) and place the chicken breasts on top of the mushrooms
sprinkle the rest of the parmesan over all of it, chicken too
place the strips of bacon over the top of the chicken breasts
pour the bacon grease from your few strips into the bottom of the baking dish
pour the alfredo sauce lightly all around the pan both on chicken and in the other areas (it should be enough to make it a little saucy but not enough to drown it)
Bake it at 350 for about 50-60 minutes.

Np butterfly chicken alfredo sounds delish smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now