I'm a latecomer and have a few questions

(25 Posts)
StoneFoxMama Thu 18-Jun-15 06:53:07

I'm hoping I can join in, albeit a bit late!

I've used Atkins in the past, post pregnancy to get back in shape and I know this way of eating works for me. I only have about 7 or 8 lbs to lose so I'm trying boot camp but it differs a little so I just wanted to know firstly:

Is rapeseed oil ok until I can grab a big bottle of evoo and coconut on Saturday? Where is good to get coconut oil, I've seen it in h&b for £16 a tub, does this have tiny gold flecks in it or something? My indy health food place does a cheap little bottle as well as a whole range, I suspect they are varying qualities and grades and this is reflected in the price, what do you use?

Is cocoa butter ok?

How long till that thing where your stomach catches up with the full feeling. I've found myself overeating once or twice and feeling so sick. I've written down the quantities that were just too much so I don't do it again but I've always been a greedy fucker and a fast eater. Will this make me balloon?

I have a bucket ton of organic peanut butter, free of sugar and swimming in oil, how long till I can use it?

I also make an amazing loaf which is made from ground almonds, eggs and butter, it's spongy and light a bit like pound cake but with no sweet flavour and is so good with butter/ nut butter/cheese/cream cheese/avocado/mackerel pate/ meat etc so I was wondering how long till I can introduce a slice of this in?

Is really oily pesto with rocket, basil,pine nuts, sunflower seeds and parmesan ok on courgette pasta?

I think I've got to grips on the rest of it, loving not being hungry!
If anybody could point me in the direction of the most current thread if I'm allowed to join in, I'm only about a week in though.

Thank you so much in advance.

StoneFoxMama Thu 18-Jun-15 10:35:44

Also can anybody recommend a good carb counting app? I can't face putting my stuff into mfp even if I change the ratio goals, I don't want to see the calorie content, I'm a cream guzzler and I love eating fat, I just don't want to see the numbers. I'm much happier with the numbers on the scales!

pootlebug Sat 20-Jun-15 22:48:43

I'll try to answer your questions:

Is rapeseed oil ok until I can grab a big bottle of evoo and coconut on Saturday?
It's less ideal but will do the job, yes.

Where is good to get coconut oil, I've seen it in h&b for £16 a tub, does this have tiny gold flecks in it or something?
I get KTC for everyday stuff. You usually find it in the ethnic section of the supermarket. Or they sell it on Amazon www.amazon.co.uk/KTC-100-Pure-Coconut-Oil/dp/B0076O7XR6

Is cocoa butter ok?
No idea, I've never had it! It's high fat and low carb though. How processed is it?

How long till that thing where your stomach catches up with the full feeling. I've found myself overeating once or twice and feeling so sick.
I just eat more in the first days when I feel hungry but actually craving carbs. But it's never made me sick. Go for a walk / step away from the food!

I have a bucket ton of organic peanut butter, free of sugar and swimming in oil, how long till I can use it?
Not on bootcamp, unless you switch to Bootcamp Light I believe?

I also make an amazing loaf which is made from ground almonds, eggs and butter, it's spongy and light a bit like pound cake but with no sweet flavour and is so good with butter/ nut butter/cheese/cream cheese/avocado/mackerel pate/ meat etc so I was wondering how long till I can introduce a slice of this in?
If it's a slice, I wouldn't worry too much - the problem is if you eat tons of it. A reason to ban nuts initially is that it is easy to open the packet and eat a ton of them.

Is really oily pesto with rocket, basil,pine nuts, sunflower seeds and parmesan ok on courgette pasta?
Personally I'd be happy with that - it's not like it's lots of nuts. But BIWI might disagree!

I'm useless on carb-counting apps - never used one. If you stick to low-carb stuff it should be fine.

StoneFoxMama Sun 21-Jun-15 07:42:09

Thank you so much pootlebug I was beginning to think I should have just joined and posted on the thread but didn't want to clog it up with so many questions when everyone is so much further along.

That's all really helpful, I'm doing much better now, fully stocked on half priced virgin coconut oil and evoo, not feeling hungry anymore either. I have resigned myself to a couple of weeks off my beloved nut butters and sliced up and frozen my loaf so eventually I can have the odd piece with a coffee.

Thank you again for taking the time to explain.

BIWI Sun 21-Jun-15 13:21:24

Hi StoneFoxMama!

Is rapeseed oil ok until I can grab a big bottle of evoo and coconut on Saturday?

Yep, it's fine

Where is good to get coconut oil, I've seen it in h&b for £16 a tub, does this have tiny gold flecks in it or something? My indy health food place does a cheap little bottle as well as a whole range, I suspect they are varying qualities and grades and this is reflected in the price, what do you use?

I buy KTC brand, which Sainsbury's sell in their World Foods aisle - can't remember how much it is, but it's much cheaper (and doesn't taste so coconutty) as the other, posher brands that they also sell in the main oil aisle

Is cocoa butter ok?

No idea! Never seen that on sale either!

How long till that thing where your stomach catches up with the full feeling. I've found myself overeating once or twice and feeling so sick. I've written down the quantities that were just too much so I don't do it again but I've always been a greedy fucker and a fast eater. Will this make me balloon?

If you eat all the fat and protein that you should be eating, you'll find that you are satisfied pretty quickly and won't want to eat any more. Plus, once you're fat-adapted (after about two weeks) you'll find that your appetite is significantly suppressed anyway

It depends entirely how many carbs are in it! Often it's pretty high, so it's not really good for Bootcamp. But after the first two weeks, when you move on to Bootcamp Light it would be more appropriate (but check the carb count first)

Again, not really good for Bootcamp, as it has nuts in it - wait until you move on to Bootcamp Light

Nuts and seeds aren't allowed in the first two weeks of Bootcamp - however, I'm guessing that the actual amount would be pretty low so it might be OK, but do you know the carb count?

I think I've got to grips on the rest of it, loving not being hungry!
If anybody could point me in the direction of the most current thread if I'm allowed to join in, I'm only about a week in though.

Here's the current thread - I'll be starting a new one tomorrow. But come over and say hello to everyone!

StoneFoxMama Mon 22-Jun-15 11:14:57

Thanks so much BIWI for taking the time to answer all my questions. I will come on over and join in!

Oxfordblue Mon 22-Jun-15 11:19:27

Could you post recipe for your almond egg loaf thingy please ?

I've got 7lbs to lose too & I wonder (not wanting to put you off) if might be better off not going the boot camp, but going straight into softer version.?

I lost about 7lb doing this 18 moths ago but put it back on & now my brain/body is repulsed by the lack of 'wet' food. And the constipation was dreadful.

Oxfordblue Mon 22-Jun-15 11:20:03

Ps coconut oil on offer at waitrose at the mo.

StoneFoxMama Mon 22-Jun-15 12:02:45

Of course Oxford

it's 75g ground almonds, 3 eggs, 1.5 tsp baking powder and 2 tablespoons of butter (I prefer it with salted as it gives it a bit more flavour). Grease a small loaf tin with loads of butter, whisk all ingredients on high till nice and airy, bake around 20 mins at 200. It's got quite a cake like consistency but really nice with unsalted butter or any lc friendly toppings. You can also put it in a muffin tin and it freezes in slices or individual muffins brilliantly.

Yes with regards to going straight into bcl, I know if I was doing Atkins (which I'm not, I'm doing this) it would have told me to start at the less restrictive level with around 40g of carbs. I think I'm going to give bc a go but if I have one or two slices of that loaf, or a tsp of natural peanut butter over the week, I'm not going to beat myself up. If I find it affects my hunger or I can't control portions I'll knock it back to strict bc, but I am quite disciplined. Will introduce berries after the 2nd week I think.

Thanks for the coconut oil tips, will be stocking up!
See you over at bc Oxford?

Oxfordblue Mon 22-Jun-15 13:24:59

Stonefoxmama, thank you.

You know I've just put my jeans on & they are so tight confused but I just don't think I can do BC though <<wails>>

I will lurk...

StoneFoxMama Mon 22-Jun-15 13:37:15

Oh then it would be perfect for you, they're all on week 7 and most are doing boot camp light, you can just join right in!

BIWI Mon 22-Jun-15 13:38:53

What do you mean about the lack of wet food?!

StoneFoxMama Mon 22-Jun-15 13:43:45

Yes Oxford there's plenty of wet food! I've got a panang curry recipe, or a creamy garlic mushroom sauce recipe if you need inspiration.

Oxfordblue Mon 22-Jun-15 14:09:39

Vegetables & salad.

When I think of LCBC I think meat & fat confused

Yes please to recipes. I've lost my Pig to Twiglet book.

Oxfordblue Mon 22-Jun-15 14:10:02

And eggs...loads of eggs sad

seaoflove Mon 22-Jun-15 14:15:28

I'm new to LC and would love those recipes too, Stone.

BIWI Mon 22-Jun-15 14:51:04

Oxford - you really need to have a look at the Bootcamp recipe thread!!!

There's no excuse for eating boring food just because you're low carbing. And no need to rely on eggs all the time - there are plenty of alternatives.

BIWI Mon 22-Jun-15 14:52:37

Bootcamp recipe thread

StoneFoxMama Mon 22-Jun-15 14:55:56

Eggs are the hardest thing to eat regularly, I definitely have to limit them or I feel Ill.

Ok, here goes

Pork panang:1.32 kg pork shoulder (or any fatty meat, beef or lamb is nice)
2x 400g tins of coconut milk 3g carb per 100ml
1 knorr stock pot (beef or chicken)

Curry paste made from: big chunk of ginger, 8 cloves of garlic, 2 fresh birds eye chillies, a few shallots, 2 tablespoons coconut oil, glug of Olive oil, dried chillies, the seeds from 8 cardamom pods, tsp coriander, tablespoon turmeric, hot chilli powder, ginger powder.

Blend up curry paste ingredients with a hand blender, put in large saucepan with a little extra coconut oil and gently fry the paste. Add the chopped up meat (you can also add mushrooms or chunks of aubergine if you are having slightly more carbs). Fry off paste and seal meat. Add the 2 tins of coconut milk and stock pot dissolved in 500ml boiling water.bring to boil then cover and simmer on very low for 3-4 hours. Before serving bring to the boil and it will thicken up. This will make loads, at least 8 portions.

StoneFoxMama Mon 22-Jun-15 15:01:26

Pork shoulder steaks in creamy garlic mushroom sauce

Slow roast the pork steak in oven with oil. Make a sauce by frying a variety of mushrooms with garlic and 1 small shallot and some chopped fresh rosemary in lots of butter, season well. When pork is nearly ready, add a couple of spoonfuls of homemade stock, porcini mushroom broth and 150mls double cream, reduce quickly and place the pork in the pan to coat. Serve with purple sprouting broccoli and asparagus!

StoneFoxMama Mon 22-Jun-15 15:03:13

Hear hear BIWI, it's the fastest route to failure. Thanks for the link, of to look for inspiration now.

I've just made the pork panang and its smells amazing.

Oxfordblue Mon 22-Jun-15 16:20:54

Thanks - you've inspired me..2 bacon rashers, left over celeriac bake & iceberg lettuce for lunch.

Am now craving a satsuma confused

StoneFoxMama Mon 22-Jun-15 17:08:10

Strawberries or raspberries with cream if you're doing bcl? The cravings really do go in a few days, that's the main appeal for me, not being hungry all the bloody time.

seaoflove Mon 22-Jun-15 17:14:02

Thanks for the recipes. Also keep meaning to dredge the Bootcamp recipe thread, but it's just so LONG.

I've never craved fruit in my life - this is why Bootcamp was so appealing grin

I'm not a fussy eater: will eat any vegetable, but I have to force myself to eat fruit. And very rarely do blush

StoneFoxMama Mon 22-Jun-15 18:06:07

No problems Seaoflove (great name btw) it is a bit overwhelming, I'm working my way through it all slowly.

I forgot, I added a dash of fish sauce, soy and salt to the panang also!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now