Week 4 Low Carb Bootcamp - Keep on keeping on

(717 Posts)
BIWI Mon 03-Feb-14 08:28:53

Morning.

I see that some of us are struggling.

I see that there is a lot of cheating.

Hmm. I wonder if there is a connection grin

Seriously folks, this is not a terribly forgiving WOE. The idea of Bootcamp Light was to give you a bit more flexibility, but not to send you spiralling into a chocolate and alcohol-fuelled frenzy!

Come and confess all on the Spreadsheet of Fabulousness or on your own personal Weight Tracker

Remember that weight loss may stop in weeks 3 and 4 - sometimes 5. It takes this long for your body to become keto adapted, i.e. to switch fully from carb-burning to fat-burning.

And if you're continually pushing up your daily carb intake, all you are doing is delaying this process

Hope you all have a good week.

Thumbwitch Mon 10-Feb-14 12:40:18

Badger - you are correct. I have been labouring under a misapprehension. Growth hormones aren't allowed in Australia either, but apparently 80% of the population does believe that they are used. Weird, huh. They were banned in the 1960s here and yet no one knew!

BIWI Mon 10-Feb-14 07:37:41
PseudoBadger Mon 10-Feb-14 07:27:59

Thumb - I can't comment for where you are but I'm pretty certain that chickens in the UK and EU (and US?) do not receive growth hormones.

Ruprekt Mon 10-Feb-14 07:26:13

Morning......just signing in......
((Is there a new thread? gringrin))

ChesterDrawers Mon 10-Feb-14 07:23:29

Delighted to report a 4.2lb loss this week. Huge thanks and flowers to everyone for their support during my unceremonious wobble last week.

Tough day ahead due to no sleep cos of temperaturing DS. Poor thing is not well so day off for him. Just waiting to see if he can go to DGMs otherwise I'll have to take the day off too.

Don't have a plan food wise <dangerous>but will try to keep it low on dairy again.

sybilfaulty Mon 10-Feb-14 07:00:47

MrsHugh, I always weigh on a Tuesday too as I get brought a cup of tea in bed on a Monday so don't want to weigh that as well. Let's weigh together tomorrow.

Suffering terrible nausea today and been up with Ds half the night. A quiet day beckons I think.

Good luck everyone

MrsHughJarse Mon 10-Feb-14 06:55:26

Disaster .... Scales are in DD1's bedroom due to bathroom/builder upheaval ...... And this is her 'lie in ' morning as she doesn't start college until 11 ....

We all need to be up and out - so Monday weigh in will have to wait until tomorrow . ( am a weekly weigher so completely no idea if I have lost/gained or sts !)

It's not excuses - honest , I have been properly good all week ! Fingers crossed !

Thumbwitch Mon 10-Feb-14 01:25:17

I have been much more grouchy than normal this last week, and that's saying something! grinblush<sigh>
I always thought that the chocolate was helping to keep me happy, there's proof...

I have a thought. Feel free to ignore it - how much chicken do people eat? Do the people who eat more chicken have trouble losing more weight? It's an idea I had some years ago, because of the level of growth hormone that they pump into the male chickens that are then used for meat - I just wonder if it does a) increase weight gain and b) inhibit weight loss. I have no proof of course, as I said it's just an idea!

AthelstaneTheUnready Sun 09-Feb-14 20:41:32

Poor Lovecat [sad face] and poor Lovecat's DH ['nother sad face].

Could be atmospheric pressure <hopeful>? That can have a dramatic affect on some people's moods.

Am also off to bed fairly soon. Ended a busy day by smashing my kneecap on the edge of a sandstone slab. Oh, the swearing. It was epic. It is stiffening up already so I can only walk around with it kept straight and can't get down stairs. Gawd knows what it'll be like tomorrow morning getting to work - just have to move the car seat back as far as it will go, probably.

So sweet dreams to everyone in need of them tonight. (Can you tell that painkillers make me sentimental...?)

Lovecat Sun 09-Feb-14 20:28:32

I've been cross all day for absolutely no reason.

Nasty, irritable, quick to fly off the handle - much worse than PMT and I'm not even due on...hmm I've read elsewhere that fat contains hormones so when you lose it you get more moody... I really don't like feeling so on edge so I'm hoping that this is just a passing thing and not how I'm going to be feeling when in weight-loss mode.

Ah well... today's food has been sausage, bacon, egg and mushroom but in Sainsbo's cafe, so it was all grilled and 'healthy' <mutter mutter> I put some butter on it but still... And then chicken in bacon tonight with a mound of broccoli. 2L of water so far.

And I'm sooo narky, DH made me a coffee but didn't put any cream in it and it was so bitter and foul and I got shitty with him because he'd made it 'wrong' and then he took umbrage and oh, ffs... not impressed with myself. Am going to have an early night after Top Gear and hopefully wake up in a better place.

Hope everyone's weekend is going a bit better than mine!

Notsoskinnyminny Sun 09-Feb-14 19:44:36

IamATot Wednesday is the new Friday although I wish the buggers would call as the Head is driving us all mad grin

Thanks for the tip Sarah I make a mean lasagne and it'll take all my willpower not to have any.

SarahBeenysBumblingApprentice Sun 09-Feb-14 18:55:14

Notso meatballs with tomato sauce with melted philly/cream and cheese dumped on top tastes just like lasagne, if you wanted a dish that would do for the both of you.

SarahBeenysBumblingApprentice Sun 09-Feb-14 18:53:07

Athelstane - good luck with the house. I'm jealous of you going climbing - our children have stuffed us up for that and I broke my thumb this summer and it's still not up to it even if I had the opportunity!

Crabby - Lean techniques look interesting - I've bookmarked that for later! You really should do a low carb cookbook; it could be the low carb smitten kitchen. And also, lovely photo and well done!

Ambassador - thanks for that. I used to run before I had children and I'm finding it really difficult to get going again. When I'm eating carbs I can easily run for half an hour of so but my muscles and joints aren't strong enough for it anymore and I get injured. I'm currently doing C25K to see if building it up slowly helps. I'm also doing shred for strength but probably not often enough! Since start LC every run has felt like the most difficult run of my life and I'm seriously wondering if I need a few carbs first. Equally I haven't been doing this for very long and I think I need to give myself longer to adapt. I really don't want to stuff up the adaptation> prolong the pain!

I've got spinning for the first time in 10 years tomorrow. Oh please help me!! I might feel just like you did after kettlebell, Notso!

Chester - I have no words of encouragement other than keep on keeping on - it's gutting when you get sabotaged by accident. Everything else looked great and even those bottles of tonic are nothing compared to a wedge of cake.

And what I logged on to say actually was…

Biwi, I know you've said to draw a line under it but I just wanted to sat something unrelated: every time someone an BC looses a lb or looks better or increases their confidence because they've lost weight, you've had a part in that and you should share that pride. Even if we'd all found a LC a different way, we'd be missing the support which is a vital part of keeping on. Just look at all of the amazing pictures that have been posted! And I'm quite sure that we're all grateful, even if it doesn't come across in the right way sometimes. thanks

I think "8-10 gate" (sorry…) exemplifies how much we (women) compare ourselves to other women and how easy it can be to feel wanting or threatened. We genuinely do come in all shapes and sizes. And Im sure that we all just want to be the best that we can possibly be.

ImATotJeSuisUneTot Sun 09-Feb-14 18:42:49

Notso - I'm counting down to half term while expecting an Ofsted too. We're a new school so we've had a couple of 'visits' already, but our actual inspection is imminent.

Just need to make it to 1pm on Weds to be clear! grin

Notsoskinnyminny Sun 09-Feb-14 18:18:17

Well done Steeleye and good, I wish I'd taken some photos when I started because even though the scales aren't moving I've lost 2" off my waist and my torso isn't as flabby.

Switwoo to our very own Nigella aka crabby. DH loved the chicken and takes back all his moans about every utensil, pan and gadget being used. He wanted the leftovers but they're mine for tomorrow's lunch grin

Just been to my first kettleball class and want to die. I used to do 3 high impact classes a week until I changed jobs last year and when I psyched myself up for a telling off I found out the instructor had left you needed to do all 3 of her classes to be able to keep up and her slots are now zumba classes. I gave it a go but its not for me, I haven't got the co-ordination or the shimmying skills -- I'll never make an erotic dancer-- grin

DH has demanded lasagne so I'm going to make the butternut squash and coconut bake out of the IPD cookbook for me and have it with stuffed portabello mushrooms after I've had a bath to ease my aching body

Five more sleeps til half term, I just hope we don't get the Ofsted phone call as I survived on biscuit, cake and wine last year and feel like I've finally got control of things, DH isn't tempting me with his evening snacks and the krispy creme donuts aren't calling to me - I didn't even lick my fingers when I put them in the box.

ChesterDrawers Sun 09-Feb-14 18:07:41

Bollocks, I have been a carby twat by mistake. Had angelic LC food at the pub but had two gin and slimlines. Turns out the tonic was Fentimans Light which has 5.7g carbs per 100 shock. I had two small bottles, probably 150-200ml each. Am gutted, tried so hard to be good, even had fucking dull salmon on a bed of plain lettuce for my main. Have I screwed it up?

Other food today has been:
B: LC sausage x1, 2 x bacon, 2x eggs scrambled with butter, mushrooms
L: starter of chicken Caesar salad, with no croutons or anchovies, aforementioned main of salmon and a load of plain lettuce, no dessert

As well as the gins, I've had a black coffee with cream and a tea with what I think was skimmed milk. I've had about three litres of water and will try and have another before bed.

sad

NellVarnish Sun 09-Feb-14 17:27:29

Crabby just looked at your fish stew recipe way too much effort pour moi, and I love the chart timer thing. Think this would work well in our Food Tech lessons - would help pupils to develop their time management skills. thanks

NellVarnish Sun 09-Feb-14 17:23:54

Just caught up with the rest of the thread - the photos are amazing, well done Crabby, Steeleye and good, you look brilliant!

MyPrecious don't go ...

BIWI - M&S changing room mirrors are the work of the devil, whatever your size, just keep on keeping on.

Good luck to everyone for the forthcoming week!

The Trend is our Friend!

daisychicken Sun 09-Feb-14 16:44:10

Just wanted to say BIWI that I hope it wasn't my message yesterday that made you think I was talking about body dysmorphia - I wasn't honestly and I'm sorry if it was my message that made you feel that. I was just trying to say that what I see of myself isn't what my friends and family see (those I can trust to be honest that is). I can only see my not so good points, the points that I need work on and I get a bit blinded by that rather than see me as a whole. I'm not saying you do or do not need to lose weight, only you can judge that but sometimes we can be a bit too critical of ourselves and forget the hardwork we've put in to get to the point we are at now.

I won't say anything else so moving on....

NellVarnish Sun 09-Feb-14 16:28:36

Thanks for your messages the other day Eva, supersal, Chester, MyPrecious and Crabby thanks

Crabby get your arse round to mine and make my dinners! I truly cba cooking mostly - prefer baking. And eating it. And therein lies my downfall. I cook for six or seven most nights and it really is a chore after work. You know these people who cook with love as one of their ingredients? Well I pop resentment in mine. grin

Hope the platelet donation went ok Pistey.

grin at trashcan's fanjo! And yay to the downward turn!

I've still not got my mandolin, but thanks for the recommendation LittleMiss. I used to think a treat was a new nail varnish or a mascara and now it's a buggery julienne peeler or a feckin mandolin.
Or a tin of corned beef. grin

You lot make me laugh - snowiebear's fresh breath and a tidy colon! <off to Aldi>

Must try the Kashmiri chicken, thanks Crabby, and well done - I would be over the moon to be 10st10 again.

Good luck Cider and suzymoo.

Calamity I sympathise. I've been a bit demotivated as well as you can probably tell, and wasn't sure if I was having too much of one thing and not enough of another and it sent me off the rails. I've had a Carby Week and I feel rubbish so I'm going back on BC tomorrow.

This is turning into another epic post. It moves so fast, I wish I could keep up with you all! I'm only up to Thursday at 2125!

NellVarnish Sun 09-Feb-14 15:48:47

I have been on a Carby Rollercoaster this week and despite all your wise words and helpful suggestions and support, have continued to eat like a Sugary Twat. I don't know what's been up with me but I'm back on BC tomorrow and will stick to it.

Trying not to get down sad and I'm writing this week off, it's not the end of the world, is it? Trying to get things in perspective, it is but a small setback.

In other news I've found all my baskets of woolly goodness and will be crocheting badly in an attempt to ward off the Bastard Emotional Eating.

How's everyone else doing? I'm away to catch up ...

PS Pistey I found your Woolly Hugs blog, it's fab - when I'm up to speed I'll attempt some shoddy crocheting for you. Also followed your Pinterest board - I'm the tartan one.

prettybird Sun 09-Feb-14 15:47:52

I know we're not supposed to be talking about you any more BIWI but I just wanted to say that although you are petite and neat and look fabulous I know what you mean about what you feel/see under your well chosen clothes.

Dh gives me a sense of reality: even through he loves (and has always loved) my body no matter what shape it is and (TMI alert) loves to see me naked blush, he is rather too quick not slow to tell me that I've still got wobbly bits to work on. He is very encouraging about the progress I have made and knows where I want to get to and doesn't sugar coat wink the message until I get there.

Ambassadoryouarespoilingme Sun 09-Feb-14 15:20:19

hi all
First up, BIWI, although we are officially NOT talking about you, just wanted to send thanks because without this thread I would not be doing this. And I think we're all agreed that the numbers on the scales only have an element of effect on how we feel about ourselves. Anyway, I think you are great.
SarahBeeny...you asked me about running. Well I started running when my DD2 was about a year old. I was over 13stone and 5'5 and had no sleep for about 3 years, so mainlining food to drag myself through the day. I started seeing a trainer, on the basis that I had plenty of clothes but felt crap in them, so better to invest the new clothes money in a trainer to help me fit better in the old clothes. I was lucky to find a really encouraging trainer, who knows the right balance of pushing me to do more without making me feel like a fat muppet for finding it hard. I started in October, 2 hours a week, and did my first 10k race in the following October, but I think I could have done one before that. I went from running (eg half walking) for about 45 mins but covering about 2 miles, to now running for 45 mins and doing about 4.5 miles. I did a 10k this am in 1 hr 13 mins and was sad not to beat my best time ever of 1hr 10 mins, but its not a disaster. Slow and steady is the key: I run 4 x a week, for an hour, after I've dropped the kids at school. I work from home so just start work an hour later and finish later - which is very lucky, I know. I almost always run with someone else as I'm too lazy to go far enough on my own. The biggest battle with running is in my head. You can do it, and it makes you feel wonderful once you realise how far you've come. Its lowered by blood pressure so much that the nurse at the GP was concerned it was extremely low for my age.
Anyway, sorry about the essay there. But seriously, if an overweight, knackered, lazy and unsporty person like me can get into running, anyone can.
Thank you for your kind comments on my misdemeanours on Friday / Saturday. Am back on track now. And despite the hangover, I'm also quite amazed that my sugar cravings didn't return, and even the bit of chocolate I had (for medicinal purposes, you understand) tasted super sweet and sickly.
Hope you all have a lovely Sunday.

Lighthousekeeping Sun 09-Feb-14 15:15:17

I'm the ignorance is bliss type smile

I will find it a battle to drink enough water today as I've only just woke up! I'm going to have to dilute it with sugar free Robinsons. It's so easy to drink it at work.

BIWI Sun 09-Feb-14 15:11:01

Lighthousekeeping - there's no rule about when you should weigh. We just happen to have a Monday weigh-in.

Some people find that weighing daily keeps them focused and on track. For others it sends them a bit doolally if they can't cope with the daily variation - because your weight does fluctuate quite naturally on a daily basis.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now