Carb refeed day?

(27 Posts)
FourArms Sat 01-Feb-14 11:23:34

I've been LCing for a few months, but I've been bobbing around the same 2lb for a fortnight.

I've been through my diary and I think perhaps a refeed day is in order. One day mildly off plan on NYE saw a good loss the next week and previously I've always had fish, high ish carb salad mushy peas and a latte on Fridays and seen a loss the next day.

So today I'm having oats for breakfast, a jkt pot with tuna and a latte for lunch and maybe egg fried rice for dinner.

There will be some fat too which I think should be minimised if doing this: FF NLY, semi skimmed milk, mayo in tuna and oil on rice.

I'll see what happens tomorrow!

Anyone else tried this?

MaeMobley Sat 01-Feb-14 18:57:37

please do update us.is there any theory about his?

FourArms Sat 01-Feb-14 21:15:08

Quite a bit.... a lot of it is related to bodybuilding.

I ended up having:

Oats & full fat NLY with coffee & s/s milk

Coffee & s/s milk and a pint of water

Jacket potato with tuna mayo. No butter. Large latte made with s/s milk and a pot of tea with s/s milk

Chicken fillet with jacket potato and sour cream. Pint of soda water.

Pint of water and coffee with s/s milk.

I've felt soooooooo bloated all day and had quite bad stomach pain (but that could be ovulation pain). I also feel quite tired. I didn't feel particularly hungry between meals - ate at 8, 1 and 6. I also had no desire for other carby cheats like the lovely scones in the cafe where I had lunch or even the crisps on the plate with my lunch.

I'll see what the scales say tomorrow. I predict a gain as I feel horribly swollen and like I need the loo but there's nothing there when I go.

Links

I'll update over the next few days. smile

FourArms Sun 02-Feb-14 08:50:18

Down 1lb today

MrsJoeHart Sun 02-Feb-14 08:55:28

Don't tell BIWI but I've found the same, if I've had an off day say a meal out and eaten loads of carbs I nearly always find I've lost a bit. Obviously you can't do it too often.

FourArms Sun 02-Feb-14 18:06:22

smile

ElBombero Mon 03-Feb-14 07:12:28

I'm having one today after to being at a standstill and even a 1lb gain this last week so starting with toast, then pasta, then pizza then some thorntons smile can't wait!!!!

MaeMobley Mon 03-Feb-14 18:55:17

a belated thanks for sharing the links. I am still a beginner at this whole LC business.

FourArms Mon 03-Feb-14 19:04:15

Wow ElB! Good luck! Some people advise low fat/high carb on cheat days, but just as many advised mixing. Let us know how you get on.

No change today but haven't been to the loo in over 48h so fingers crossed for tomorrow!

Yesterday
B - 2 x scrambled eggs
L - lamb chops and cabbage
D - lamb chops, cauli and cabbage

Today
B - cold cauli (don't ask - was an emergency!)
L - tuna mayo salad
D - roast chicken, broccoli & carrots

ElBombero Mon 03-Feb-14 20:47:16

Thanks fourarms, feel like I've eaten my weight in shite good today. Apart from the toast this morning though and maybe a few jelly babies can't really day I've enjoyed it like I thought. This pizza's looking pretty tasty though. So gonna hit it hard tomorrow. Going cold turkey for 3 days, bootcamp rules + dairy free, full fat... want to be back in ketosis by Friday. Hope this works it's a nice little incentive knowing you can have a little (erm big) cheat wink

FourArms Tue 04-Feb-14 07:05:39

Down 1.4lb today -now 0.8lb below my previous low. smile

Good luck ElB smile

FourArms Wed 05-Feb-14 06:56:53

Stayed the same smile Happy with that as I was a bit worried that yesterday's loss was a blip.

Yesterday's food wasn't great:

B - homemade pork burger & 2 fried eggs
S - latte
L - bolognese (not sure of ingredients as eating out with no perfect options) & lettuce with blueberries. My first fruit in ages; didn't finish them as they weren't as nice as I wanted them to be.
D - pork burger with salad & garlic mayo (BC friendly)

Drinks - lots of coffee with milk, not enough water.

I also haven't been to the loo since my last weigh in. So all in all a stay the same is good!

What are your results ElB?

ElBombero Wed 05-Feb-14 21:28:49

Really really bad went from
9st 13lbs to 10st 4pds!! Thinking just water +++ (and needed loo) so not gonna weigh in till Monday n see what happens n fingers crossed I've moved from the 9.13 xx

FourArms Wed 05-Feb-14 21:32:06

OMG! Can only be water. Good luck for Monday!

BIWI Wed 05-Feb-14 22:01:26

I don't really understand the thinking behind this. All that you're doing is re-filling your glycogen stores every time you binge on the carbs, so your weight will be going up.

And, you're actually making it harder for yourself to become/remain keto adapted.

However, I'm willing to be proved wrong ...

FourArms Wed 05-Feb-14 22:21:21

I read it as being a shakeup for a metabolism that was getting a bit too used to low carbs.

I'd say I was already ketogenically adapted as I'd not eaten carbs other than veg since early-Dec.

My weight didn't go up and I haven't had any cravings since (even though traditionally this is my difficult week of the month).

It might have just been that I was due to lose the weight, but I enjoyed my day anyway so it was worth it smile

FourArms Thu 06-Feb-14 06:57:22

Down 1lb today smile

That means I'm below the target I set myself for Valentine's Day!

StuntNun Thu 06-Feb-14 10:37:00

AFAIK the theory is that it's all to do with water. The idea is the carb refeed temporarily refills your glycogen stores but obviously you store water along with that. Then when you go back to low carbing and deplete your glycogen again then when the water goes, extra water goes along with it. Apparently a couple of shots of spirits can have the same effect because of the dehydration effect of the alcohol. IMO the biggest problem is that a carb refeed will only work if you were due a whoosh anyway. Yes it breaks the stall but that would have happened anyway given more time.

FourArms Thu 06-Feb-14 19:44:42

That's interesting, thanks stuntnun.

Would rather two baked potatoes than the shots- I'd be I'll for days otherwise!

FourArms Sat 08-Feb-14 07:38:10

0.4lb on yesterday - unsurprisingly as I was really hungry the day before so had a pkt of pork scratchings as well as my normal lunch and then got a migraine in the evening (which normally requires coke & chocolate) so I had a coffee and a packet of pork scratchings at 8pm too.

Better day yesterday

B - 2 pork burgers & spring greens
L - 2 pork burgers & salad
D - fish (with batter removed), mushy peas, salad and a latte. Fairly high carb, but that sort of meal is allowed on the Harcombe Diet.

Down 1lb today, so yesterday's gain plus a bit more smile

Overall I'm down 4lb since last Saturday.

ElBombero Sat 08-Feb-14 19:11:13

Hi, sorry about the lack of the update. I'm back down to pre refeed weight but gonna wait till Monday till proper weigh in x

FourArms Sun 09-Feb-14 08:01:01

Fingers crossed for you smile Down again today 0.4lb smile

ElBombero Mon 10-Feb-14 09:03:59

No loss! No increase though confused gutted. Been 2 weeks now. I definitely bunged up though, took a laxative last night... Should of took 2 nothing happening yet

SteeleyeStan Mon 10-Feb-14 09:13:03

My own experience has always been that "carb refeed days" = stalling or gaining weight.

ElBombero Mon 10-Feb-14 09:25:06

Yeah won't be trying again!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now