Burns Night - am I going to regret this tomorrow?

(10 Posts)
HerGraciousMajTheBeardedPotato Sat 25-Jan-14 08:40:19

Going to totally fall off the wagon at a Burns Night Supper tonight! The hosts are Scots, he's a whisky buff, and she's a fabulous cook so will make up for the unchallenging menu by going to town on the desserts.

Normally I'd just not have dessert, and I don't like whisky anyway, so would only a token sip for the toasts. But by the time I've worked my way through cock-leekie soup, haggis, mashed potato and mashed swede, is it worth offending mine host by refusing her home-made Athol Brose and at least two more heavenly home-made concoctions?

I think not...

pootlebug Sat 25-Jan-14 08:43:31

By the time you've eaten.all the carbs in haggis etc I figure you might as well have a 'sod it day and get back on the wagon tomorrow. But Biwi might have stricter standards and be along to tell you off soon

moralimbecile Sat 25-Jan-14 08:49:15

Avoid the tatties, neep is low carb, haggis isn't the worst thing really. Drink spirits. Enjoy ;-) ☆

toomuchicecream Sat 25-Jan-14 08:54:20

Whereas the Burns Supper I'm going to will be perfectly pleasant but not special food wise (mass catering in church hall). I'm resenting the idea that I will have to eat carby food that isn't very special. Am seriously considering taking a tub of whipped cream and raspberries in my bag to subtly take out at pudding time, and eating a salad before I go so I'm not very hungry and therefore eat enough haggis and tatties to be polite but no more....

mirpuppet Sat 25-Jan-14 09:02:40

I know yo don't want to hear this but people don't get offended when you don't eat dessert

And if they want you take a bite -- you do just that -- take a bite.

figgypuddings Sat 25-Jan-14 09:08:07

I think Burns himself would encourage you to enjoy the food and celebration.

“Some hae meat and canna eat,
And some wad eat that want it,
But we hae meat and we can eat,
And sae the Lord be thankit.”

Yama Sat 25-Jan-14 09:14:02

We went to a Burns Night at a friends house last January. I had just started Bootcamp. I had the Haggis and the neeps.

Our friends were really interested in out new woe and weren't offended at all.

Whiskey is low carb I think as it has no sugar in it.

So, no I wouldn't have the desserts. Or the potatoes.

HerGraciousMajTheBeardedPotato Sat 25-Jan-14 10:00:08

"No tatties, thanks, and just a sppoonful of Athol Brose" is having a little wobble as the wagon goes over a bump, but retaining your hold on it and hauling yourself back up into the wagon.

By the time you've had a taster of every dessert (she's just texted: "whisky-cream-honey truffles"...) I suspect you've well and truly lost your grip on the wagon, and may as well give in and tumble ungracefully to the roadside.

For the good lord be thank it!

Will I have a carb-hangover tomorrow?

Will I go out of ketosis and have to go through it all again?

HerGraciousMajTheBeardedPotato Sat 25-Jan-14 10:02:07

Just lrealised that I posted in bootcamp. Oops. I've been lo-carbing fir months. I'm not bootcamping - though this may need to change tomorrow!

HerGraciousMajTheBeardedPotato Sun 26-Jan-14 14:05:24

I have discovered that, after many potato-less months, I've gone right off them! Mash is really nothing special any more. grin. Oats, OTOH, now they are really nice.

Those truffles were really to due for. I had just the one, cut it up on my plate, and made the eight tiny morsels last for the rest of the evening. Had one or two inbetween each of the other desserts blush.

Today's consequences: churning guts, wind, hungrier than usual, a bit heavy-headed and achey. Feeling vaguely PMTish but that's not possible. And no, it's not a hangover, I drove.

I shall weigh myself tomorrow.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now