Breastfeeders - how are you feeling?

(17 Posts)
PseudoBadger Wed 22-Jan-14 19:01:27

Humphrey? Anyone else?

I'm feeling good but am worrying about my milk supply a bit. No evidence that's made me worry, wet nappies etc are as usual. But I've done full bootcamp and can't shake the feeling that I'm doing a bad thing for DD sad even though I love it.

HumphreyCobbler Wed 22-Jan-14 19:06:13

Hello
I think baby cobbler is doing fine - don't notice any difference now I am low carbing. I am not worried about milk supply.

I am not finding it so easy, as I have to stay off the dairy and the nuts are giving me cold sores sad though I have a supplement coming thanks to crabby that should help with it. I am finding that I am a bit hungry though.

Hormonally I am all over the place as AF arrived at the weekend angry

Why is it that you feel it is not good for your dd? Has anyone been negative?

PseudoBadger Wed 22-Jan-14 19:13:51

Sorry you're finding it tough sad I hope the supplement helps.

I just worry that I'm not eating enough. Which is silly as I don't feel hungry; if I do (rarely) I eat, a snack of cheese or yoghurt for example (sorry to rub the dairy in...) If I wasn't eating enough i'd feel hungry wouldn't I?

DP and my mum trust me to have done the research and that I'm doing the right thing, which is what is making me worry I think - if I'm making a mistake it's all my fault!

Sorry this is so self pitying, not like me at all...

HumphreyCobbler Wed 22-Jan-14 19:26:58

Do you know, I truly believe in this way of eating. It IS healthy. Therefore I truly believe that I am doing my best for the baby.

If you are not hungry and your dd's nappies and growth are fine, then doesn't that say that this WOE is working really well for you? Your body is using healthy food to make milk - this is brilliant.

Sorry you are having a wobble. FWIW I practised massive calorie restriction after having my second child, which I think now was a pretty bad idea, but she was fully breastfed and extremely healthy. I am sure that my diet now is better balanced.

PseudoBadger Wed 22-Jan-14 21:52:59

Thanks Humphrey, I do believe in the WOE. I know my diet is healthier than ever before which can only be good for her. And it definitely isn't calorie restricted grin

hazchem Thu 23-Jan-14 04:29:02

I'm an extended breast feeder so DS is almost three and I'm not having any problems but my supply is obviously robust.

Pseudobadger There is an expert in the Politics of Breastfeeding from Cicely Williams who says talks about being interned in a camp in Singapore during WW2 and the fact that all 20 of the babies born there were exclusively breastfeed and all the babies lived. When I read it the first time I realised just how clever our bodies are in terms of ensuring that we can produce milk in even the least optimal situation. I'm sure the women were feed during there time there but I'm also sure it was nothing like as nutritious a food as you are eating now.

Hi, hope you don't mind me asking this here. I'm 37 weeks pregnant with DC2 and still breastfeeding DD (20 mo). I went low-carb/low-sugar for a bit when DD was 4mo to lose the rest of the baby weight, but started eating carbs again when I got pregnant this time around.

The last week or so I've gone back to eating low-carb, mainly because the baby appears huge (no GD diagnosed) and I've put on nearly 20 kg. I've now lost a kilogram, although that wasn't my intention.

My question for you fellow breastfeeders is, can I continue to eat this way when the little one arrives in the next few weeks? Or should I eat carbs at least to start with to help with milk supply? When did you all go low-carb?

HumphreyCobbler Thu 23-Jan-14 16:06:33

In my opinion there is no reason why you shouldn't low carb from the beginning, but I don't know for sure. I was too weak willed and the biscuits called.

Supply follows demand, so theoretically as long as the baby is put to the breast then the milk will arrive. I think that as long as you eat and drink something all will be well. I don't think not eating refined carbs/sugar is going to hurt things.

This is all just my opinion of course.

hazchem Thu 23-Jan-14 22:08:16

this blog has lots of stuff on LC and pregnancy/nursing

Thank you, hazchem! I'll take a look.

Humphrey, that was what I was thinking, too. I'll be tandem feeding (assuming all goes to plan), so demand will certainly be there.

And I imagine in the first few weeks I'll be eating cake anyway before my willpower comes back.

hazchem Fri 24-Jan-14 05:57:23

I'm quite excited by the LC pregnancy stuff as we are TTC at the moment I have read that low carb can reduce morning sickness. I'm hoping that I manage to lose about 5 kilos before I get pregnant and then continue on with low carb aiming not to gain more then 5 kilos during the pregnancy.
Baby how are you finding nursing in later stages of pregnancy?

ElBombero Mon 27-Jan-14 22:24:55

Hi guys, fellow low carb breast feeder here. I really do feel this has affected my milk supply but no idea why...?? I've started fenugreek a week ago which have helped abit.

PseudoBadger Mon 27-Jan-14 23:14:10

How old is your dc?
I feel the same, but dd is nearly 4 months and I was wondering if it's just that the supply is settling down that makes me feel like that.

ElBombero Mon 27-Jan-14 23:27:39

4 1/2 month.

He's not gaining very well either, dropping centiles. HV asked if I had a good diet last week, didn't mention LC, almost certain she wouldn't knoicj about c

PseudoBadger Mon 27-Jan-14 23:32:07

Hmm I haven't had dd weighed for ages but she looks ok and is growing out of clothes. I'll get her weighed next week.
It could be coincidence and not related to diet at all? Have you tried Kellymom's tips?

ElBombero Mon 27-Jan-14 23:36:35

No, don't have chance to have a wee on my own never mind read this past week. DD 2 yo been poorly n DS not sleeping well at nights at all sad only a few more weeks till I can wean, that changed everything with DD. I'm so tired hmm think the fenugreek is helping though, feeling a little "fuller" over weekend...

hazchem Tue 28-Jan-14 00:04:50

Elbombero you could post a question to Analytically Armadillo on facebook, she is a IBCLC but also into paleo eating so might have some good LC breastfeeding info.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now