Joint webchat with Conservative and Labour housing minister and shadow housing minister, MONDAY 2 MARCH 1pm x

Bootcamp - the questions thread

(799 Posts)
BIWI Mon 13-Jan-14 07:24:17

From experience of past Bootcamps, in the first few weeks the chat threads move really, really quickly and it's difficult sometimes to see/answer everything.

So this is a place to post any questions that you might have. Those of us who are old hands at low carbing will check this thread regularly and make sure that we answer you as soon as we can.

CrabbyWinterBottom Mon 13-Jan-14 12:25:40

UhhOhh honey is definitely out! grin I have it with a dash of cream and a good grating of vanilla - that grinder is expensive but lasts ages. You could use sugar-free vanilla essence. Once I'm in bootcamp light I have it with berries (frozen, that I've cooked down to puree) and flaxseed (which makes the yoghurt thicken to the texture of icecream).

CrabbyWinterBottom Mon 13-Jan-14 12:26:20

Stairs avocadoes are fine afaik.

Thumbwitch Mon 13-Jan-14 12:29:01

OK, real question:

Should I be doing this while I'm still breastfeeding, even if it's not very often in a day? Usually just before sleeping, so maybe 2-3x a day and 1x in the night, and then first thing in the morning? (that actually still sounds like quite a lot, doesn't it blush)

AthelstaneTheUnready Mon 13-Jan-14 12:31:46

Thanks, Crabby, and I cheerfully admit to eating the solid bits with a spoon before pouring more into my coffee in the morning. And then on my dinner... will see what happens.

CrabbyWinterBottom Mon 13-Jan-14 12:37:28

Tinned Tomatoes carb count:
Waitrose Essential chopped tomatoes 3.57% (£2 for a 4pack)
Cirio 4.7% (usually £4, currently £2 for a 4pack)
Napolina 3.5% (£4.70 for 4pack!)
Sainsbury's own 3% (£2 for 4pack)

CrabbyWinterBottom Mon 13-Jan-14 12:41:16

grin Athel I sometimes eat clotted cream straight from the pot or with a little grating of vanilla on it! shock

Thumb that'll be absolutely fine afaik. There were several bootcampers last time who were breastfeeding; I'm sure they'll be along to share their wisdom.

Thumbwitch Mon 13-Jan-14 12:53:31

Thanks Crabby! smile

BIWI Mon 13-Jan-14 12:57:42

Re vanilla, Waitrose sell ndali vanilla extract which is alcohol-free, and which I use with my yoghurt. There's also a vanilla powder which is quite nice.

BIWI Mon 13-Jan-14 12:58:15

And yes, Thumbwitch, there's no reason why you can't do this whilst you're breast-feeding. Just make sure you're not letting yourself get hungry

SteeleyeStan Mon 13-Jan-14 12:59:43

Ooh, I have an actual question! smile

Are we "okay" on any veggies under 3% carbs, or should we for some reason only stick to those listed?

BIWI Mon 13-Jan-14 12:59:54

If you're suffering from carb withdrawal:

- drink plenty of water
- eat plenty of fat
- make sure you're eating plenty of salt - cook with it/add it to your food
- you also need magnesium and potassium; spinach, avocado, salmon and natural yoghurt are all good sources of these

Don't suffer - if you have a headache, take paracetamol (not ibuprofen, as that is implicated in impeding weight loss)

It should pass within a couple of days

ChippingInWadesIn Mon 13-Jan-14 13:05:01

It is hard (for me anyway!!) to make sure all the questions have been answered (and we are only a few hours into it!!) so can I suggest if anyone feels their question hasn't been answered, that they ask again smile No one will mind - honest!!

LauraBridges Mon 13-Jan-14 13:05:38

1. I think this is the main new bootcamp thread www.mumsnet.com/Talk/low_carb_bootcamp/1965309-Week-1-New-Year-2014-Low-Carb-Bootcamp-And-Were-Off?

2. I see no reason to eat this way which in my view is a healthy way everyone should eat just because you are breastfeeding. Just make sure you drink loads of water (i speak as someone who breastfed twins which is a lot of milk to produce) and eat to satisfy your appetite but with the foods allowed here which is basically all natural good foods which are not high carb. It is what mankind ate for about 1m years when many many babies were born and successfully breastfed.

ChippingInWadesIn Mon 13-Jan-14 13:08:26

I am sure Laura meant 'I can see not reason not to eat this way...' smile

Thumb - put the chocolate down and stop looking for excuses not to do it grin

ChippingInWadesIn Mon 13-Jan-14 13:09:17

or even 'I can see no reason not to eat this way'

FGS this lack of latte is not good for my few remaining brain cells.

BIWI Mon 13-Jan-14 13:11:00

grin

Thumbwitch Mon 13-Jan-14 13:19:34

It's ok, I got what Laura meant grin

I've had my last chocolate tonight. Tomorrow I will start. I will be Good. Of course, it will still be 13/1 for you lot when I wake up, so I've left my start date the same as all of you grin

ChippingInWadesIn Mon 13-Jan-14 14:31:23

Night Thumb see you 'in the morning' smile I'm just off to work, I'd rather stay here and chat grin

LauraBridges Mon 13-Jan-14 15:38:28

Sorry, I should have read it before I posted it. I was just trying to say fine to eat this way and breastfeed, indeed even better than eating the usual junk most people eat.

MrsHughJarse Mon 13-Jan-14 15:39:55

Anyone know how you bookmark threads so it takes you back to where you left off reading ?? confused

MrsHughJarse Mon 13-Jan-14 15:41:16

and..... can anyone link the recripe thread on here somewhere.. Can't find sorry blush

UhhOhhh Mon 13-Jan-14 15:41:54

Thought as much grin Ok I've got some vanilla, will try that tomorrow, thanks!

Thumbwitch Mon 13-Jan-14 15:46:16

Ahh but I don't eat that much junk; just too much chocolate. sad
Most of this should be, technically, pretty easy for me in that we already cook everything from scratch anyway and do the whole food thing; but cutting out carbs is going to be "interesting" for me, so I'm looking forward to seeing how I get on!

Need to check tomorrow whether or not I can still have swedes and sweet potatoes, as I make mash from those already - does the celeriac make you a touch windy, or not?

mrshughjarse the recipe thread

and if you hover your mouse to the bottom right of a post a 'bookmark' button should appear. if it doesn't i think you might need to adjust your settings in 'customise'

thumbwitch, swede ok, sweet potato not (sorry)

celeriac does make me windy, but apparently i'm unusual in that respect

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now