(786 Posts)
BIWI Wed 11-Apr-12 11:31:11

Asparagus Frittata (serves 2)

250g/9oz asparagus, trimmed and cut into 5cm/2in pieces
4 eggs
4 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan or Pecorino cheese
225g/8oz spring onions, finely chopped
2 tablespoons olive oil

- Cook asparagus in boiling water until tender (7-10 minutes)
- Whisk the eggs and add the cheese and the spring onions
- Pre-heat the grill
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan that can go under the grill
- Put in the asparagus; stir-fry for a minute, then pour in the eaten eggs, moving the asparagus around gently to make sure the egg mixture gets right through, and that the grated cheese is well distributed
- Let the frittata cook over a moderate heat for a few minutes until the underside is cooked and lightly browned, then put the pan under a hot grill for a minute or two until the top is set and golden brown

5.5g carbs per serving

Recipe from Rose Elliot's "The Vegetarian Low-Carb Diet Book"

vdibley Tue 27-Jan-15 14:16:40
LexLoofah Tue 27-Jan-15 14:07:07

Butter Chicken or Murg Makhani in the slow cooker

Serves 4

You can leave out some of the spices if you don't have all of them, I just like to have a mix of spicy and fragrant so as long as you have a few of each in there it will be fine

Ingredients:

- two large chicken breasts cut into chunks (could use boneless thighs)
- 2 tbl sp butter or more if you wish
- 1 shallot
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 inch ginger, grated
- 2 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- half a tsp cayenne pepper or more if you want it spicy
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 1 stick cinnamon and 5 cardamom pods tied up in muslin or ground version
- 1 cup tomato sauce (lowest carb content you can find)
- 1 cup of ff greek yog
- quarter cup of cream
- fresh coriander to garnish if you wish

1. Saute the shallot in the butter until soft
2. Add the lemon juice, garlic, ginger and ground spices (put the whole ones in the slow cooker), cook for 1 minute
3. Add the tomato sauce and cook for a few minutes, stir a few times
4. Reduce the heat and add the yogurt and cream, stir and simmer for about 10 minutes
5. Blitz the sauce in a blender and turn the slow cooker on high
6. Pour the sauce into the slow cooker and stir in the chicken
7. Cook on high for between 4-6 hours, turn down for the last few hours if it is too bubbly. Could cook on low if you need to leave it for longer.

I served with pilau cauli rice and aubergine chunks fried in coconut oil and a splash of water and fresh chopped coriander sprinkled on top

Mrsstevejones Sun 25-Jan-15 19:12:30

Chicken thighs in a lemon grass and ginger sauce

2 stalks of lemon grass ( i used the tube stuff, 3 supermarkets with none in)
2 garlic cloves
5 sp onion
knob of ginger
1 tbsp soy sauce
i veg stock cube
1 tin coconut milk
1 green chilli
8 chicken thighs

Roast the bone in chicken thighs in the oven until done. Drain off excess fat but leave brown chicken - ey bits in the bottom of tin.

Cook the ginger, garlic,chilli, sp onions and lemon grass in a little groundnut oil for 2-3 mins. Add the coconut milk, stock cube and soy sauce, bring to boil. Pour over chicken and scrape bits from bottom of the pan.
Put back in oven for 10-15 mins.

I served this with coriander cauli rice and roasted broccoli

Mumelie Sun 25-Jan-15 18:49:39

Turnip dauphinoise

Made this evening and amazed how like potatoe it was - even my fussy 11 year old ate it all up!

Grease a medium gratin dish with butter. Oven on to 160c.
Slice up 4 large turnips (best in food processor).
Heat 250ml double with 250ml sour cream (I used single) 100ml water and a garlic clove til just boiling (keep stirring).
Layer turnips in dish with salt n pepper - you could add a little sliced shallot or herbs if you like.
Pour over warm cream mix. Place in oven for an hour.
Add about 40g grated cheese (I used mature cheddar). Bake for another 20-30 mins.
This serves at least 6 (only 3 of us do having again tomorrow).
Think it will freeze too.

I'm so thrilled with this potato replacement - I really miss them.

Taken from 'low carb & gluten free vegetarian' by Celia Brooks. States carbs at 10g/ portion (without cheese or shallot added).

DiscoDancer Wed 14-Jan-15 21:29:33

Place marking!

Birdinacage Tue 13-Jan-15 09:35:57

Chicken courgette noodle soup, great if you have a cold or feel generally under the weather. Makes 3-4 servings

- 900ml chicken or vegetable stock (or Miso soup mix)
- 1 medium/large chicken breast
- 1 tsp grated/ground ginger (or fresh chopped root if you have it)
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 3-4 mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 2-3 carrots diced
- 1 courgette sliced into ribbons
- optional 1 chopped echalion shallot
- optional soy sauce

1. Pour the stock into a pan and add the chicken, ginger, and garlic.
2. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat, partly cover and simmer for 20 mins, until the chicken is tender.
3. Remove the chicken to a board and shred into bite-size pieces using a couple of forks.
4. Return the chicken to the stock with the courgette, carrots, mushrooms, shallot and the soy sauce.
5. Simmer for about 4-5 mins until the carrots are tender.
6. Serve.

BitchTradeMark Fri 09-Jan-15 22:44:06

Enchilada Chicken Soup serves 4 (I made it last 5 for lunches)

3 tbsp. Olive Oil
3 stalks Celery, diced
1 medium Red Pepper, diced
1 tsp garlic powder
4 cups Chicken stock
1 cup Diced Tomatoes
8 oz. Cream Cheese
6 oz. Chicken, shredded
2 tsp. Cumin
1 tsp. Oregano
1 tsp. Chili Powder
1/2 tsp. Cayenne Pepper
1/2 cup Cilantro, chopped
Salt and Pepper to Taste

Dice 3 stalks of celery (cut the tips off of each end) and 1 medium red pepper. In a pot, heat 3 tbsp. olive oil over medium high heat. Once the oil is hot, add celery, pepper, and garlic. Let this cook until the celery softens. Add salt and pepper to taste. Once celery is cooked, add 1 cup Diced Tomatoes and stir well. Let this cook for about 2-3 minutes. Add spices and additional salt and pepper if needed. Stir this up and leave for a 1-2 minutes. In the mean time, chop up the cilantro (make sure you cut the stems off). You’ll need about 1/2 cup in total. Add 4 cups chicken broth and cilantro to the pan. Stir everything together. Bring the soup up to a boil and then reduce heat to low. Let this simmer for 20 minutes. Measure out the cream cheese and add it to the pan. Stir in well and bring to a boil again. Once boiling, turn to low and simmer for 20-25 minutes. Shred the chicken with a fork. You can either cook this fresh as you’re making the soup or you can use cooked leftover chicken. Once simmered, add chicken to the pan. Stir together until everything is mixed. Serve up with extra sour cream! You can additionally garnish with shredded cheese, extra pepper, or fresh cilantro.

Total carbs - 31g. Per serving - 7.8g

BitchTradeMark Fri 09-Jan-15 22:28:09

Brocolli & chicken fritters makes approx 35

10 oz already cooked chicken chopped
1 cup (4 oz) grated cheddar cheese
8 oz fresh broccoli finely chopped (this was about 2 - 2 1/2 cups)
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp onion powder
1 cup almond flour
4 beaten eggs (with a dash of salt and pepper thrown in)

Preheat your oven to 375 degrees (190C). In a large bowl, mix together chicken, cheese, broccoli, garlic and onion powders, and almond flour. Make sure these are well mixed and the ingredients are distributed well. Add in the beaten eggs and mix well. Using your hands, make balls about the size of a rounded tablespoon, and give it a firm squeeze to hold it all together. Place them on a parchment paper lined baking sheet with just a little bit of room between them. They really don't spread or puff up much so feel free to put a lot on there. Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until crisped and golden.

Carb count
Cheese 1.3g
Almond Flour 8g
Brocolli 7g
Onion powder 0.7g

17g total. I ate 8 of these with mayo as a dip for lunch, which was sufficient and works out at approx 4.3g carbs.

polealltheway Wed 19-Nov-14 22:14:43

Marking my place for recipes grin

costababe Mon 17-Nov-14 21:02:35

Marking place for mor yummy recipes!!

Roseformeplease Sun 09-Nov-14 22:18:25

DH, who is a chef, has invented the yummiest mash substitute:

Celeriac, cauliflower - boil. Mash. Add butter and cream. Eat.

That is all.

It is absolutely amazing. Please don't burst my bubble and tell me I can't eat it!

Jo4694 Tue 04-Nov-14 12:38:09

Hi,

I am new to this, day one.

Am I allowed ground almonds? Maybe not in first 2 weeks?

More importantly am I allowed dark 70%+ chocolate or cocoa powder? I saw someone add a recipe for hot chocolate. Is this allowed? and is it allowed in first 2 weeks?

Scarletohello Thu 30-Oct-14 17:29:12

I've just made this, it was delicious! It was a bit like chicken Kiev but without the breadcrumbs.

Chicken breasts wrapped in Parma ham

Cut the chicken breast and stuff with a mixture of marscapone cheese, fresh parsley and thyme, finely chopped ( or pressed) garlic, salt and pepper. Wrap in 2 or 3 slices of Parma ham. Pop in oven, gas mark 5 for 20 mins. Had with a salad topped with shaved Parmesan. I'd never made this before and it was so good it's something I'd serve at a dinner party!

CharlieSierra Sun 19-Oct-14 16:14:03

Should mention for those unfamiliar with Paleo, coconut aminos is a soy sauce substitute, so just use that.

CharlieSierra Sun 19-Oct-14 16:10:54

This is a great recipe

Gyoza Meatballs from theclothesmakethegirl.com/2014/03/27/gyoza-meatballs/

Ingredients:
Meatballs:
1/4 pound shitake mushrooms, stemmed and finely chopped
1/8 head cabbage, very thinly sliced (about 1 cup)
1 tablespoon coconut aminos or homemade substitute
1 pound ground pork
1/2 cup water chestnuts, minced
2 scallions, very thinly sliced (about 1/4 cup)
1 tablespoon chopped chives (dried or fresh)
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon powdered ginger
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
3 cloves garlic, minced (about 1 tablespoon)
2 tablespoons warm water
1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
Dipping sauce:
1/4 cup rice vinegar
1/4 cup coconut aminos or homemade substitute
1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
1/2 clove garlic, minced
1 scallion, very thinly sliced
1/2 teaspoon grated fresh ginger root
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes

prettybird Sat 18-Oct-14 22:18:16

Made the chicken and chorizo dish tonight. Apart from the fact that I had to boil it for ages (and that was after only adding 700ml of chicken stock) to get it to reduce enough as I stayed good and didn't add flour , it was yummy and went down well with dh and ds too (who had it with rice). smile

gointothewoods Sat 18-Oct-14 21:26:32

Re the cabbage, not great. 2 hours cooking time was too long. Not a fan of very very soft cabbage. It was ok but not lovely.
I have tried other nom nom paleo recipes before and they've been good.

gointothewoods Sat 18-Oct-14 10:50:32

Currently making this:
nomnompaleo.com/post/1356598429/worlds-best-braised-green-cabbage

Will report back later on the results!

SarahBeenysBumblingApprentice Fri 17-Oct-14 20:26:20

Vegetable rosti:

(It's a bit if a faff but I was trying to convince the DC that they were eating burgers).

I've been grating up a mix of veg in large batches to use in salads during the week - I got a bit fed up of green leafy salads. I used some of this, which was about 1/4 swede, 1/4 celeriac and 1/2 a large courgette coarsely grated. I sautéed the lot in olive oil until soft. I then beat 2 eggs and a tablespoon of mayo, salt, a tsp of baking powder, smoked garlic power and 1/2 tsp dried sage together and once the veg had cooled a bit I mixed it all up. It needed to be spooned into the frying pan for frying and it's a bit delicate but made some nice little rosti style cakes. They firm up a bit if you put them into a warm oven for 10min or so.

Clearly garlic and sage is to my taste and I'm sure you could flavour them with anything you want!

NB: I find it quite easy to eat a lot of carbs with swede + celeriac, probably because they are two of my favourite roast veg. It's worth keeping an eye on portions sizes i.e. not a whole swede to yourself grin

CharlieSierra Wed 15-Oct-14 20:40:56

Thai Massaman Curry

Paste
•1/4 cup macadamia nuts
•2 shallots, sliced
•5 cloves garlic, peeled
•1-2 red chilies, OR substitute 1/2 to 1 tsp. dried crushed chili
•1 thumb-size piece galangal (or ginger), thinly sliced
•1 stalk lemongrass, minced, OR 2-3 Tbsp. frozen or bottled prepared lemongrass
•1 tsp. ground coriander
•1/2 Tbsp. ground cumin
•1/2 tsp. whole cumin seeds
•1/8 tsp. nutmeg, preferably ground from whole nutmeg
•1/2 tsp. cinnamon
•1/8 tsp. ground cloves
•1/4 tsp. ground cardamon
•2 Tbsp. fish sauce
•1 tsp. shrimp paste
•1 tsp. palm sugar OR brown sugar
•1-3 Tbsp. coconut milk, depending on how thick or runny you prefer your paste (save remainder for cooking your curry)

Blend together in a food processor or blender.

I then fried 2 star anise, a cinnamon stick, and a few crushed cardamon pods in coconut oil for a few minutes, then browned chicken breasts, added some quartered mushrooms and then the curry paste. Fry paste for a couple of minutes then add the rest of the tin of coconut milk, season with salt, stir well then cover and simmer for half an hour or so. I took the lid off and let the sauce reduce and bunged in a good handful of spinach at the same time, finish with a squeeze of lime. I did think I would leave the sugar out of the paste, it's only a teaspoon so I didn't think it would make much difference, but whilst the sauce was cooking it was definitely missing something so I added it for 4 carbs, it made all the difference.

gointothewoods Sun 12-Oct-14 09:07:08

I make this all the time, it's delicious! Could serve with Cauli mash instead of potatoes.
Could sub bacon lardons for the chorizo.

Creamy Chicken and chorizo casserole
Serves 4
INGREDIENTS
1.8 kg Chicken jointed (I use chicken breasts/ legs on the bone)
25 g Butter
2 Shallots peeled and finely diced
3 cloves Garlic very finely diced
50 g Chorizo diced (I use at least twice this)
1 tsp Fresh Thyme (I used dried)
1 glass Dry White Wine (I usually leave this out)
1 tsp Plain Flour (could leave this out as the cream thickens things up)
1 L Chicken Stock
50 ml Cream
2 carrots, thinly sliced
Salt & Cracked Black Pepper

METHOD
Choose a wide saucepan with a thick base.
On a medium heat melt the butter and add the chicken pieces, cook for 5 – 10 minutes ensuring the chicken is lightly browned all over.
Add the chorizo, carrots, shallots, garlic and thyme and cook for an additional 5-10 minutes.
Sprinkle in the plain flour and mix well in to ensure that it does not stick to the base of the pan at this crucial time.
Next add in the white wine and again, do continue to stir the mixture because the wine will evaporate off quite quickly.
Boil up the chicken stock and add into the floured chicken mixture.
Add in the cream and allow this to thicken up.
Bring the mixture to the boil and then reduce to a gentle simmer.
Allow to simmer for an additional 10 – 15 minutes or until the chicken is well cooked through to the centre. Season lightly.

BIWI Wed 08-Oct-14 13:10:56

You could always try coating in ground almonds? (Although obviously they will add some carbs). And mashed celeriac or swede might be worth a try as well.

PetulaGordino Wed 08-Oct-14 11:22:11

i have made fishcakes but i didn't write it down sorry! i think i just substituted mashed cauliflower for mashed potato, making sure that the mashed cauliflower was as "dry" as possible. and no breadcrumb coating obviously

this is what i would do for low carb fishcakes (it might need tweaking in RL):

mix together the following:

cooked fish
mashed cauliflower (you could fry it v gently after steaming and mashing to dry out some more)
lemon zest
parsley, chopped
chives and/or spring onions, chopped
salt and pepper
beaten egg - enough to make the mixture come together - you could also use mayonnaise to do the same thing i think

shape into cakes, cover and chill in the fridge for an hour

heat oil or butter in frying pan and fry cakes until golden on both sides

they might fall apart a bit without the coating, so this might need tweaking

CharlieSierra Tue 07-Oct-14 16:51:36

are there any recipes for fishcakes? I'm sorry I don't know how to search for words and I've skimmed but can't find any.

aNoteToFollowSo Mon 06-Oct-14 10:39:56

Thanks all for that steer about the courgette noodles. I can't wait to give them a go.

Prettybird thanks too for the chocpot recipe. They do indeed sound delicious. I'm looking forward to making those too, but will wait till after BC

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now