(842 Posts)
BIWI Wed 11-Apr-12 11:31:11

Asparagus Frittata (serves 2)

250g/9oz asparagus, trimmed and cut into 5cm/2in pieces
4 eggs
4 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan or Pecorino cheese
225g/8oz spring onions, finely chopped
2 tablespoons olive oil

- Cook asparagus in boiling water until tender (7-10 minutes)
- Whisk the eggs and add the cheese and the spring onions
- Pre-heat the grill
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan that can go under the grill
- Put in the asparagus; stir-fry for a minute, then pour in the eaten eggs, moving the asparagus around gently to make sure the egg mixture gets right through, and that the grated cheese is well distributed
- Let the frittata cook over a moderate heat for a few minutes until the underside is cooked and lightly browned, then put the pan under a hot grill for a minute or two until the top is set and golden brown

5.5g carbs per serving

Recipe from Rose Elliot's "The Vegetarian Low-Carb Diet Book"

StuntNun Mon 29-Jun-15 18:58:11

Homemade salted pecans

250g pecan nuts
50g butter
2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon

Melt the butter. Add 1 tsp salt and the cinnamon then add the pecans and stir to coat. Roast at 110C for an hour, stirring every 15 minutes. Sprinkle over the other 1 tsp salt. Cool on some kitchen towel to remove any excess butter (so they aren't soggy). Eat in very small portions.

polealltheway Sun 28-Jun-15 10:43:56

Hi all

Has anyone got any tasty protein brownie recipes?

I have got chocolate and vanilla protein shakes and I am fed up of drinking them.

I have found recipes online but I would like some that are recommended as some of them sound gross!

I also have ground almonds if that helps?

dillite Sun 31-May-15 18:38:30

Here's something I made up the other day but it was very yummy so I thought I would share.

Pork Fillet in Creamy Sauce with Cauliflower and Swede Mash

Olive/coconut oil/ butter approx. 2Tbsp
Pork Fillet
3/4 Anchovies
1large tsp capers
2 shallots
2 cloves of garlic
300ml double cream
Chicken or vegetable stock 300ml
Cauliflower
Swede
Butter
Salt and pepper

Preheat oven to 180 Celsius

In a frying pan heat oil of choice, it should cover the bottom of the pan. Chuck in anchovies, capers, minced garlic, chopped shallots and cook them gently until translucent. Add pork and brown on all sides. Once browned add stock and cream. Mic and simmer for a minute gently. Plsce into the oven for approximately 30min.

Make mash- steam cauli and swede until soft, mash with butter salt and pepper.

Remove pork from the oven and get pork on a plate under foil. Blend the sauce until smooth in the blender. Serve with mash and some green veg.

Gcalgske Sun 31-May-15 14:57:27
Gcalgske Thu 28-May-15 23:15:16

Nigel Slater adapted celeriac and smoked mackerel dauphinoise

Ingredients
300ml double cream
1 tbsp wholegrain mustard
1 bay leaves
200ml unsweetened almond milk or water
200g smoked mackerel
450g Celeriac
Method
Slice the celeriac thinly.
Arrange in a shallow oven-proof dish.
Tear up the smoked mackerel and tuck into the slices.
Mix up the milk, double cream and mustard.
Season to taste then pour over the celeriac and mackerel.
Tuck in the bay leaf and pop into the oven 190C/Gas Mark 5 for about 45 minutes to an hour until the top is browned and bubbling and the bake is knife-tender.
Serve with a green salad.

CrabbyTheCrabster Wed 27-May-15 17:37:09

Crustless Bacon and Asparagus Quiche
8 large eggs
300 ml double cream
1/2 pack of garlic boursin
1/2 pack feta
handful grated gruyere
4 spring onions
4 rashers streaky bacon
5 spears asparagus
Crushed black peppercorns
Chopped herbs

Preheat oven to 180*C

Snip the bacon into little bits with scissors and lay them out in a frying pan with a bit of olive oil. Fry them until crispy, turning over when they're done on one side.
Put the eggs and cream in a bowl and beat with a fork.
Mash in the boursin so that it's distributed in the mixture. Crumble in the feta.
Chop the spring onions and add to the mixture.
Chop the asparagus fairly finely, leaving the heads of the spears longer. Add the chopped bits to the mix, reserving the heads.
Add the pepper and whatever herbs you like. I used dill today because I had some left over and thought it'd complement the feta.
Stir in the crispy bacon and olive oil from the pan.
Mix thoroughly and pour into a buttered flan dish. It's easier to put in the oven without spilling if you put it on a baking tray first.
Lay the asparagus heads on top in a vaguely arty way and sprinkle the gruyere all over.
Bake in the oven for about 40 mins until golden brown and the middle has stopped wobbling when you jiggle the dish. It will puff right up like a souffle, but goes down within a few minutes.

It's lovely hot but also very nice cold. I make one a week and have it for lunches with salad and mayo.

BIWI Tue 19-May-15 22:47:02

That sounds lovely, dillite

dillite Tue 19-May-15 00:22:45

I think I shall add a favourite of mine as well- I've only ever served it with either rice or mash though, but I'm sure it can be served with just veg too.

source damndelicious.net/2014/11/22/chicken-sun-dried-tomato-cream-sauce/

CHICKEN WITH SUNDRIED TOMATOE SAUCE

Ingredients

8 bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
3 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes, or more, to taste
1 cup chicken broth
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/3 cup julienned sun dried tomatoes in olive oil, drained
1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon dried basil
1/4 cup basil leaves, chiffonade

Instructions

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
Season chicken thighs with salt and pepper, to taste.
Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a large oven-proof skillet over medium high heat. Add chicken, skin-side down, and sear both sides until golden brown, about 2-3 minutes per side; set aside.
Melt remaining tablespoon butter in the skillet. Add garlic and red pepper flakes, and cook, stirring frequently, until fragrant, about 1-2 minutes. Stir in chicken broth, heavy cream, sun dried tomatoes, Parmesan, thyme, oregano and basil.
Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer until slightly thickened, about 3-5 minutes. Return chicken to the skillet.
Place into oven and roast until completely cooked through, reaching an internal temperature of 175 degrees F, about 25-30 minutes.
Serve immediately, garnished with basil, if desired.

Apparently just 2.6g carbs per serving.

ewanhoozami Mon 18-May-15 18:39:09

It's extra good with a few toasted flaked almonds on the top, if you're feeling devilish

ewanhoozami Mon 18-May-15 18:36:30

Kedgeree:

4 large eggs, boiled and quartered
1 packet smoked mackerel
1 medium cauliflower
1 large echalion shallot
1 tbsp butter or ghee
1 tsp garam masala (or whatever interesting Indian spices you've got knocking about)
salt & pepper
1 tsp lemon juice

1. Chop the onion and cauliflower to a fine rice-like consistency in a food processor or with a grater.

2. Melt the butter / ghee and add the spices and salt, then fry the shallot and cauliflower in a deep pan on a low heat for 10 minutes

3. Flake the fish and stir into the cauliflower rice

4. Season , squeeze in the lemon, bung in the eggs and serve.

BIWI Wed 13-May-15 14:18:13

wornoutwaitress have you actually made it without the honey and berries though? Will it just not be sharp and/or bland without those?

CrabbyTheCrabster Wed 13-May-15 10:00:46

Easy (stick blender) Hollandaise Sauce

Ingredients
115g butter (I use salted)
2 large egg yolks
1 tbsp lemon juice (some recipes use vinegar or half water half lemon juice)

Melt the butter gently in a small pan until it's foaming. If you can skim off the white stuff, do so, otherwise let the milk solids settle at the bottom as much as possible.

Put the egg yolks and lemon juice in a container just wider than the head of the stick blender (they usually come with a tall narrow jug thing for this). Whizz them with the stick blender until pale and opaque (30 - 60 secs).

If possible, put the container on a grippy surface or wrap a tea towel round it, as you need three hands otherwise - one to hold the blender, one to pour the butter and one to stop the jug whizzing round with the blender! If someone is there to hold the container, that's the easiest thing.

When your butter is completely melted and the white bits (milk solids) are at the bottom, turn of the heat, turn on the blender and pour the melted butter very slowly into the egg yolks, whizzing the whole time. Move the stick blender up and down a bit to incorporate it all. It should be a tiny steady stream of butter like when you make mayonnaise.

Pour almost all of the butter in but leave the last bit that's got the milk solids in.

It only takes a minute or two, so leave it til everything else is ready. You can keep it warm for a little while (put the jug in a bowl of warm water) but it's best eaten immediately and doesn't reheat. It's rather delicious eaten cold (or from fridge) the next day though, straight from the jug. grin

wornoutwaitress Sun 03-May-15 22:55:11

lemon posset double cream 1.6g carbs per 100ml so 500ml = 8g carbs. lemon juice 1.7g carbs per 100ml. i used 50ml so that's 0.85g carbs. Leave out the honey and the berries and you have a yummy low carb dessert of about 2.2g carbs each.

Gcalgske Sat 02-May-15 10:58:24

www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/pork_chops_with_potato_34069

Replace the potato in the bake with celeriac or cauliflower or just more leeks. Leave off the breadcrumbs too.

Mmmmmm

lisbapalea Wed 29-Apr-15 10:45:26

Grilled mackerel with fennel coleslaw (I will make with ff yog and will leave out the apples and carrots from the coleslaw):

www.deliciousmagazine.co.uk/recipes/spicy-grilled-mackerel-with-fennel-coleslaw/

lisbapalea Thu 23-Apr-15 12:37:08

Thanks BIWI. I have bought some shallots but used onions for the recipe, and the saag paneer one as I wanted to get rid of my old stock! that's interesting about the Sainsburys basics tomatoes; I usually buy those but didn't have them today. I guess it's because the tomatoes used in those are less ripe than in the premium brands, and therefore less sugary?

BIWI Thu 23-Apr-15 12:35:08

You could cut the carbs down by using shallots instead of onion, and if you buy Sainsbury's Basics cartons of chopped tomatoes, they are the lowest carb count I've found.

lisbapalea Thu 23-Apr-15 11:47:54

Thanks - will be making it later so will report back!

Found this recipe in a Sainsburys mag which we are having tonight. I hope the chopped tomatoes don't cock things up too much - have used two cans and think the recipe will make 6 portions (have used dble the quantity of beef):

www.sainsburysmagazine.co.uk/recipes/mains/beef/item/aubergine-and-beef-shakshuka

Ingredients
�1 aubergine, cut into 3cm chunks
�2 tbsp olive oil
�1 x 250g pack beef mince (I have used a 400g pack)
�1 onion, finely sliced
�2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
�1 tsp ground cinnamon
�1 tsp ground cumin
�� tsp smoked paprika
�� tsp crushed chillies
�2 x 400g tins chopped tomatoes
�1 tsp sugar (I have ommitted this)
�4 medium eggs

To serve:

�1 tbsp tahini paste
�1 tbsp natural yogurt
�a squeeze of lemon juice
�1 preserved lemon, pips discarded, finely chopped
�50g feta cheese, crumbled
�� x 28g pack flat-leaf parsley, leaves chopped
�a pinch of sumac
�toasted pitta breads (we're not having this, obviously!)

step by step
1Preheat the oven to 200�C, fan 180�C, gas 6. Put the aubergine chunks into a roasting tin, drizzle with 1 tablespoon of oil and season. Roast in the oven for 30 minutes until tender and cooked through.
2Meanwhile, heat a large, nonstick lidded frying pan, add the mince and cook over a high heat, stirring for 3-4 minutes until browned; transfer to a plate. Add the remaining oil and the onion to the pan; cook gently for 10 minutes, covered. Stir in the garlic, spices and chillies. Cook for 2 minutes, then return the beef to the pan, add the tomatoes, sugar and 200ml kettle-hot water. Stir well and bring to the boil.
3Simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes. Stir occasionally, then add the roasted aubergine and season well.
4Using the back of a large spoon, make four wells in the sauce. Crack an egg into each one. Cover with a lid and cook gently for 6 minutes, then turn off the heat and leave covered for a further 2 minutes until the whites are set, but the yolks still runny. Alternatively, transfer the mixture to a preheated ovenproof dish, add the eggs and bake at 200�C, fan 180�C, gas 6, for 5-8 minutes or until the eggs are cooked to your liking.
5Mix together the tahini, yogurt and lemon juice to taste; season. Add a teaspoon of cold water to make it 'drizzleable'.
6Sprinkle the shakshuka with the preserved lemon, feta and parsley. Spoon on the tahini dressing; finish with a pinch of sumac. Serve with pitta breads.

Gcalgske Wed 22-Apr-15 18:46:47

Cauliflower loves both spice and cheese. I think it'd be lush!

lisbapalea Wed 22-Apr-15 13:34:45

Can any curry afficionados let me know if some roasted cauliflower would be a good addition to saag paneer? I have been asked to make a veggie curry side dish for a friend and thought something cauliflowery would be good from a lchf option, if I can combine with paneer.

I found this recipe on an earlier bootcamp recipe page and want to add cauliflower to bulk it up - will it be weird?

Paneer Masala with Spinach & Coconut

2tbsp oil
1tsp black mustard seeds
1tsp cumin seeds
1tsp tumeric
2 red chillis - to taste
3 spring onions
3 garlic gloves
2.5cm piece of ginger finely chopped
50g desiccated coconut
300g paneer diced - shop bought or homemade (recipe for home made just standard one)
200g spinach, chopped
100ml Greek yogurt

Fry mustard seeds in a large saucepan/wok. When they start to pop add cumin, tumeric, chilli, spring onions, garlic & gingers and fry for 2 mins. Add cocnut & paneer cook for a few minutes.
Stir spinach through mixture and stop cooking as soon as the spinach wilts. Stir in yoghurt and serve.

Gcalgske Wed 15-Apr-15 21:56:04

Sesame prawn balls

240g bag of raw prawns defrosted
1 small garlic clove
1/2tsp grated ginger
2 small spring onions
3tbsp of sesame seeds to coat

Pulse In food processor until smooth. Wet hands and form into balls. Roll in seeds. Fry. Serve with tamari dipping sauce (just tamari,lime juice, chilli slices)

Gcalgske Wed 15-Apr-15 21:52:11

1 tbsp crunchy peanut butter ( whole earth brand - no sugar, no palm oil etc)
1 tbsp coconut milk
1 tsp chilli oil
1 tsp sesame oil
2 tsp tamari

Mix well. Eat with cucumber sticks and cold chicken as a dip or stirred through a stir fry of beef strips and broccoli. Reckon it would work well with cashew butter too but not tried it.

nappyaddict Mon 13-Apr-15 10:37:45

Chocolate mousse

2 tablespoons butter

2 tablespoons of cocoa powder

pinch salt

1 teaspoon vanilla

1 egg

PROCEDURE:

1. Melt butter and stir in cocoa powder, salt and vanilla.

2. Separate egg. Mix yolk in one small bowl; in a separate (larger!) bowl, whip the whites until they're quite firm.

3. Remove chocolate mixture from heat. Then slowly pour the yolk into it, stirring all the while.

4. Gently fold the butter/chocolate/yolk mixture into the whites.

5. Refrigerate (covered if possible). For a single batch, 3 hours is probably sufficient to get it to set properly.

This recipe makes a very rich mousse; a fairly small serving suffices to satisfy!

nappyaddict Mon 13-Apr-15 10:20:32

Forgot the salt!

nappyaddict Mon 13-Apr-15 10:19:35

This one might be better as no cream.

2 tablespoons cocoa
2 tablespoons butter
1/4 cup water (more or less, as needed to make a stirable consistency)
1 teaspoon sugar free vanilla extract

Combine cocoa and salt in small saucepan.Add enough water to make stirable consistency.Add butter to cocoa mixture.Bring to a boil over medium high heat, stirring constantly.Allow to boil for 1 minute, stirring.Remove from heat.Add vanilla.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now