(860 Posts)
BIWI Wed 11-Apr-12 11:31:11

Asparagus Frittata (serves 2)

250g/9oz asparagus, trimmed and cut into 5cm/2in pieces
4 eggs
4 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan or Pecorino cheese
225g/8oz spring onions, finely chopped
2 tablespoons olive oil

- Cook asparagus in boiling water until tender (7-10 minutes)
- Whisk the eggs and add the cheese and the spring onions
- Pre-heat the grill
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan that can go under the grill
- Put in the asparagus; stir-fry for a minute, then pour in the eaten eggs, moving the asparagus around gently to make sure the egg mixture gets right through, and that the grated cheese is well distributed
- Let the frittata cook over a moderate heat for a few minutes until the underside is cooked and lightly browned, then put the pan under a hot grill for a minute or two until the top is set and golden brown

5.5g carbs per serving

Recipe from Rose Elliot's "The Vegetarian Low-Carb Diet Book"

Gcalgske Fri 27-Nov-15 19:23:01

Not even really a recipe,

I get a non stick pan hot and dump in a handful of grated aged mozzarella (grated stuff in the bag) Fry it until it browns totally and comes together in a whole 'base'. Flip and cook on the other side until crisp on both sides. Top with a couple of tbsp of passata, mushrooms, shallot and peppers then pepperoni (or toppings if your choice) and more cheese. Pop into the oven and bake until cheese melty. It's delicious, quick and easy.

Gcalgske Wed 25-Nov-15 21:32:22

Chocolate mousse
2 portions
80g extra thick cream,
20g double cream,
25g 85% choc
1/4 tsp orange oil
Optional tsp sweetener

Melt the chocolate in the microwave stir in orange oil and double cream. Beat in the extra thick cream. Mousse will set up virtually instantly.

Can swap out orange for mint oil or almond extract and add some toasted almonds or chopped toasted hazelnuts, 1/4tsp instant coffee (littles sugar free flavoured coffees are lovely) dissolved in the double cream is good too.

Gcalgske Tue 17-Nov-15 22:54:58

Psyllium naan bread

LexLoofah Wed 04-Nov-15 11:49:52

As requested LC Crackerbread from Real Meal Revolution by Prof. Tim Noakes

100g each pumpkin, sunflower & sesame seeds
60g flaxseeds
3 tbsp psyllium husks ( I bought the powder and it worked OK)
400 ml water
1 tsp salt

Preheat oven to to 150C/GM2
Mix ingredients and let stand for 10-15 mins until thick & pliable.
Spread out as thinly as possible on tray(s) lined with silicone mat or parchment paper. Try not to have any holes in the mix.
Bake for an hour, check regularly as may need rotating.
Usually done in 1 hour and 20 minutes when lightly brown and crisp.
Leave to cool then break up and store in an airtight container.

My Notes:
I got a bag of mixed seeds instead of individual bags so just did 360g of the mix.
I should have used two trays as mine are very thick.
You can re-crisp in the oven if necessary
These can be toasted and soak up loads of butter
They are very filling

Gcalgske Thu 22-Oct-15 22:27:59

Creamy Pesto Poached chicken

Small pack cherry tomatoes (around 8 per serving)
Tbsp olive oil
Low carb pesto (I use Lidls Baresa 2.9g/100g about 1/2 a 190g jar to make enough chicken for 2.5 people)
Hot water out the kettle as required
250g courgettie per person
Small chicken breast chopped per person
60ml double cream
25g grated Parmesan
20g butter
Handful Fresh basil leaves

Roast cherry toms in tbsp olive oil and salt and pepper in the oven.

Chop chicken thigh or breast into bite sized bits. Add low carb pesto to a sauté pan with enough water out of a kettle to submerge chicken and make a poaching liquor. Poach chicken until cooked. Thicken liquor with double cream, Parmesan and a bit of butter (if too thin take out chicken so it doesn't over cook and set aside. Boil sauce down to reduce). Toss the hot sauce and chicken through raw courgettie (heat of sauce will cook it enough) or cooked pasta for carbivores. Top with the roasted cherry tomatoes and basil.

BIWI Fri 16-Oct-15 14:08:23

That's brilliant, thanks fluffy

fluffywol Thu 15-Oct-15 17:32:50

No read the whole thread, so I don't know if this has been posted before, but I think this recipe for 10 second mayonnaise is a useful one to know about. I've made it twice and it's ridiculously simple to make, though a stick blender is essential. It's also less than 1g of carbs for the whole lot. It makes a nice thick mayo, though maybe a tad on the oily side; possibly I need to blend it a little longer nect time. I'd imagine it would be easily customisable, ie adding crushed garlic. I used it today to make tuna mayonnaise in lettuce wraps for lunch.

BIWI Mon 12-Oct-15 20:34:00

Thought I'd posted this before, but obviously not!

125g white cabbage (less than 1/4 of a cabbage)
75g carrot (1 medium-sized carrot)
25g shallot (1/2 a banana/echalion shallot)

Slice white cabbage thinly
Grate carrot finely (don't use the largest holes on the grater)
Chop shallot finely

Add oil and wine vinegar - roughly 3 tablespoons oil and 1 tablespoon vinegar, and salt and black pepper. Stir everything well together. Leave for half an hour or so. Just before serving, stir in a tablespoon of mayo.

This will make 2 portions

bettybiggestballs Mon 12-Oct-15 12:10:35

Big Ball Family cottage pie –

the kids love this for some reason, more than a potato version (but I NEVER disclose that it’s cauliflower!) Quantity wise, this makes an absolute shit load and gives me quite a few portions to freeze.

2tsp oil
2lb minced beef
a few finely chopped shallots
2 garlic cloves crushed
1tbsp tomato puree
500ml beef stock
1.5 cauliflower heads worth of Cauli mash (boil florets until very soft and mash with lots of butter, salt and pepper)
4 tbsp parmesan
2 x egg yolks

-Brown meat in oil over high heat to get some colour on it (in batches)
-Turn heat right down and add puree, onions, garlic and thyme
-Fry up for a few minutes until onion is soft
-Add the beef stick and bubble away for at least half an hour. Add more stock if it gets too dry (but you don’t want a sloppy sauce either)
-Mix the mash with the yolks and cheese (the yolk sort of makes the crust more solid)
-When the mince is dry but glossy and well cooked pop the cauli mash over and then pop in the oven for twenty mins until golden and bubbly

ChesterDrawers Mon 05-Oct-15 11:34:55

Chicken and blue cheese ‘risotto’

One chicken breast
Half a cauli
Two rashers of bacon
Handful of mushrooms
One shallot
Garlic clove
Blue cheese, crumbled, as much as you like
Salt and pepper
Chicken stock

1) Grate cauli or whizz in food processor to make rice, then microwave in a bowl covered with clingfilm for eight minutes.
2) Meanwhile fry chicken, bacon, mushrooms, garlic and shallot in lots of butter til all cooked and crispy.
3) Add cooked cauli and stir through other ingredients. Add a ladle of stock, stir through and season. Leave to reduce.
4) When stock is pretty much gone, add blue cheese and stir through til melted and goo-ey. Top with any chopped herbs if you like.

Pretty sure this would work with different meals, veggies and cheeses. Just go with whatever you have/fancy.

Gcalgske Mon 05-Oct-15 10:08:39

80g smoked bacon lardons
20g shallot
30g chopped cherry tomatoes
2 tbsp dry white wine
200g spiralised courgette
100ml good ham stock
2 tbsp double cream
20g grated Parmesan,
3-4 Basil leaves
half a dozen mange tout finely chopped.
Heat pan, brown lardons and shallot. Add in chopped tomato and cook for a couple minutes. Deglaze pan with wine. Add in the courgettie and ladle over stock. Allow to cook for a few minutes for the stock to evaporate a bit and courgettes soften. Add in cream, cheese, basil and peas. Stir through and serve. Super quick, yummy, light. Perfect for those "I really want pasta" nights.

Blodss Wed 02-Sep-15 23:10:20

Does anyone eat chia seeds? I have just discovered them. I had chia vanilla pudding with berries. So yummy. I soaked the seeds overnight in coconut milk then added lots of fresh berries in the morning. Tastes like tapioca and is so very filling. Nearly all the carbs are fibre making it very low carb and is lovely for breakfast or as a pud.

miffy49 Mon 10-Aug-15 16:39:57

Thanks Stunt smile

StuntNun Sat 08-Aug-15 21:16:10

The blocks of creamed coconut say 100g makes 500g coconut milk. It may need to be whizzed up in a blender to get it to mix throughly.

miffy49 Wed 05-Aug-15 12:58:02

Thanks for that Stunt. I've been wondering if that would work as I can't get coconut milk that isn't full of other stuff anywhere locally. I suppose you just take a wild guess at the proportions and just whizz it up until it looks right? I have several cartons of coconut cream in stock that I used to add to Greek yoghurt. It rather mounted up after I cut back on yoghurt. I quite like the flax and coconut 'porridge' but knocked that off due to the carbs in the coconut milk. I can try it again now.grin

StuntNun Wed 05-Aug-15 09:29:39

Apparently you can make coconut milk by mixing creamed coconut with warm water. That might be a better method to avoid all the emulsifiers, gums, etc. in tinned coconut milk.

StuntNun Mon 03-Aug-15 14:05:52

Coconut milk yoghurt in the slow cooker (homemade Coyo)

4 x 400ml cans coconut milk (look for one without xanthan gum, stabilisers, sodium metasulphite etc.)
2 x 125g pots Coyo OR 250g saved from previous batch OR 6 probiotics capsules
1 tbsp good quality vanilla extract
1 sachet gelatine (or 2 sachets if you want a thicker 'set' yoghurt)

Put the coconut milk in the slow cooker for 2.5 hours on low.
Turn the slow cooker off and leave it off for 3 hours.
Add the Coyo / saved yoghurt / probiotics, the vanilla extract and the gelatine.
Mix thoroughly, preferably using an electric whisk.
Wrap the slow cooker in a couple of bath towels and leave for at least 12 hours (switched off).
Stir thoroughly. If you have lumpy bits of gelatine you can put the yoghurt through a sieve.
Refrigerate to complete the thickening process.

192 kcal per 100g
Less than 2.5g carbs per 100g (some will be broken down by the yoghurt-making process)
20g fat per 100g

At £1.99 for a 125g tub, Coyo works out at £1.60 per 100g
Making this with a Coyo starter works out at 55p per 100g
Making this using 250g saved from the previous batch works out at 39p per 100g (including saving 250g for the next batch)

Cecyhall Sun 19-Jul-15 20:22:41

This is not a recipe, more of an idea (and sorry if it's been posted before but it's a big thread to cross check!)

Today I put some pepperoni slices each topped with a small handful mozzarella under the grill and it was so good, when you think of it the cheese and pepperoni are the only flavoury bits of a pepperoni pizza and I did not miss the dough at all!

StuntNun Mon 29-Jun-15 18:58:11

Homemade salted pecans

250g pecan nuts
50g butter
2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon

Melt the butter. Add 1 tsp salt and the cinnamon then add the pecans and stir to coat. Roast at 110C for an hour, stirring every 15 minutes. Sprinkle over the other 1 tsp salt. Cool on some kitchen towel to remove any excess butter (so they aren't soggy). Eat in very small portions.

polealltheway Sun 28-Jun-15 10:43:56

Hi all

Has anyone got any tasty protein brownie recipes?

I have got chocolate and vanilla protein shakes and I am fed up of drinking them.

I have found recipes online but I would like some that are recommended as some of them sound gross!

I also have ground almonds if that helps?

dillite Sun 31-May-15 18:38:30

Here's something I made up the other day but it was very yummy so I thought I would share.

Pork Fillet in Creamy Sauce with Cauliflower and Swede Mash

Olive/coconut oil/ butter approx. 2Tbsp
Pork Fillet
3/4 Anchovies
1large tsp capers
2 shallots
2 cloves of garlic
300ml double cream
Chicken or vegetable stock 300ml
Salt and pepper

Preheat oven to 180 Celsius

In a frying pan heat oil of choice, it should cover the bottom of the pan. Chuck in anchovies, capers, minced garlic, chopped shallots and cook them gently until translucent. Add pork and brown on all sides. Once browned add stock and cream. Mic and simmer for a minute gently. Plsce into the oven for approximately 30min.

Make mash- steam cauli and swede until soft, mash with butter salt and pepper.

Remove pork from the oven and get pork on a plate under foil. Blend the sauce until smooth in the blender. Serve with mash and some green veg.

Gcalgske Sun 31-May-15 14:57:27

Gcalgske Thu 28-May-15 23:15:16

Nigel Slater adapted celeriac and smoked mackerel dauphinoise

300ml double cream
1 tbsp wholegrain mustard
1 bay leaves
200ml unsweetened almond milk or water
200g smoked mackerel
450g Celeriac
Slice the celeriac thinly.
Arrange in a shallow oven-proof dish.
Tear up the smoked mackerel and tuck into the slices.
Mix up the milk, double cream and mustard.
Season to taste then pour over the celeriac and mackerel.
Tuck in the bay leaf and pop into the oven 190C/Gas Mark 5 for about 45 minutes to an hour until the top is browned and bubbling and the bake is knife-tender.
Serve with a green salad.

CrabbyTheCrabster Wed 27-May-15 17:37:09

Crustless Bacon and Asparagus Quiche
8 large eggs
300 ml double cream
1/2 pack of garlic boursin
1/2 pack feta
handful grated gruyere
4 spring onions
4 rashers streaky bacon
5 spears asparagus
Crushed black peppercorns
Chopped herbs

Preheat oven to 180*C

Snip the bacon into little bits with scissors and lay them out in a frying pan with a bit of olive oil. Fry them until crispy, turning over when they're done on one side.
Put the eggs and cream in a bowl and beat with a fork.
Mash in the boursin so that it's distributed in the mixture. Crumble in the feta.
Chop the spring onions and add to the mixture.
Chop the asparagus fairly finely, leaving the heads of the spears longer. Add the chopped bits to the mix, reserving the heads.
Add the pepper and whatever herbs you like. I used dill today because I had some left over and thought it'd complement the feta.
Stir in the crispy bacon and olive oil from the pan.
Mix thoroughly and pour into a buttered flan dish. It's easier to put in the oven without spilling if you put it on a baking tray first.
Lay the asparagus heads on top in a vaguely arty way and sprinkle the gruyere all over.
Bake in the oven for about 40 mins until golden brown and the middle has stopped wobbling when you jiggle the dish. It will puff right up like a souffle, but goes down within a few minutes.

It's lovely hot but also very nice cold. I make one a week and have it for lunches with salad and mayo.

BIWI Tue 19-May-15 22:47:02

That sounds lovely, dillite

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now