(851 Posts)
BIWI Wed 11-Apr-12 11:31:11

Asparagus Frittata (serves 2)

250g/9oz asparagus, trimmed and cut into 5cm/2in pieces
4 eggs
4 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan or Pecorino cheese
225g/8oz spring onions, finely chopped
2 tablespoons olive oil

- Cook asparagus in boiling water until tender (7-10 minutes)
- Whisk the eggs and add the cheese and the spring onions
- Pre-heat the grill
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan that can go under the grill
- Put in the asparagus; stir-fry for a minute, then pour in the eaten eggs, moving the asparagus around gently to make sure the egg mixture gets right through, and that the grated cheese is well distributed
- Let the frittata cook over a moderate heat for a few minutes until the underside is cooked and lightly browned, then put the pan under a hot grill for a minute or two until the top is set and golden brown

5.5g carbs per serving

Recipe from Rose Elliot's "The Vegetarian Low-Carb Diet Book"

ChesterDrawers Mon 05-Oct-15 11:34:55

Chicken and blue cheese ‘risotto’

One chicken breast
Half a cauli
Two rashers of bacon
Handful of mushrooms
One shallot
Garlic clove
Blue cheese, crumbled, as much as you like
Salt and pepper
Chicken stock

1) Grate cauli or whizz in food processor to make rice, then microwave in a bowl covered with clingfilm for eight minutes.
2) Meanwhile fry chicken, bacon, mushrooms, garlic and shallot in lots of butter til all cooked and crispy.
3) Add cooked cauli and stir through other ingredients. Add a ladle of stock, stir through and season. Leave to reduce.
4) When stock is pretty much gone, add blue cheese and stir through til melted and goo-ey. Top with any chopped herbs if you like.

Pretty sure this would work with different meals, veggies and cheeses. Just go with whatever you have/fancy.

Gcalgske Mon 05-Oct-15 10:08:39

80g smoked bacon lardons
20g shallot
30g chopped cherry tomatoes
2 tbsp dry white wine
200g spiralised courgette
100ml good ham stock
2 tbsp double cream
20g grated Parmesan,
3-4 Basil leaves
half a dozen mange tout finely chopped.
Heat pan, brown lardons and shallot. Add in chopped tomato and cook for a couple minutes. Deglaze pan with wine. Add in the courgettie and ladle over stock. Allow to cook for a few minutes for the stock to evaporate a bit and courgettes soften. Add in cream, cheese, basil and peas. Stir through and serve. Super quick, yummy, light. Perfect for those "I really want pasta" nights.

Blodss Wed 02-Sep-15 23:10:20

Does anyone eat chia seeds? I have just discovered them. I had chia vanilla pudding with berries. So yummy. I soaked the seeds overnight in coconut milk then added lots of fresh berries in the morning. Tastes like tapioca and is so very filling. Nearly all the carbs are fibre making it very low carb and is lovely for breakfast or as a pud.

miffy49 Mon 10-Aug-15 16:39:57

Thanks Stunt smile

StuntNun Sat 08-Aug-15 21:16:10

The blocks of creamed coconut say 100g makes 500g coconut milk. It may need to be whizzed up in a blender to get it to mix throughly.

miffy49 Wed 05-Aug-15 12:58:02

Thanks for that Stunt. I've been wondering if that would work as I can't get coconut milk that isn't full of other stuff anywhere locally. I suppose you just take a wild guess at the proportions and just whizz it up until it looks right? I have several cartons of coconut cream in stock that I used to add to Greek yoghurt. It rather mounted up after I cut back on yoghurt. I quite like the flax and coconut 'porridge' but knocked that off due to the carbs in the coconut milk. I can try it again now.grin

StuntNun Wed 05-Aug-15 09:29:39

Apparently you can make coconut milk by mixing creamed coconut with warm water. That might be a better method to avoid all the emulsifiers, gums, etc. in tinned coconut milk.

StuntNun Mon 03-Aug-15 14:05:52

Coconut milk yoghurt in the slow cooker (homemade Coyo)

4 x 400ml cans coconut milk (look for one without xanthan gum, stabilisers, sodium metasulphite etc.)
2 x 125g pots Coyo OR 250g saved from previous batch OR 6 probiotics capsules
1 tbsp good quality vanilla extract
1 sachet gelatine (or 2 sachets if you want a thicker 'set' yoghurt)

Put the coconut milk in the slow cooker for 2.5 hours on low.
Turn the slow cooker off and leave it off for 3 hours.
Add the Coyo / saved yoghurt / probiotics, the vanilla extract and the gelatine.
Mix thoroughly, preferably using an electric whisk.
Wrap the slow cooker in a couple of bath towels and leave for at least 12 hours (switched off).
Stir thoroughly. If you have lumpy bits of gelatine you can put the yoghurt through a sieve.
Refrigerate to complete the thickening process.

192 kcal per 100g
Less than 2.5g carbs per 100g (some will be broken down by the yoghurt-making process)
20g fat per 100g

At £1.99 for a 125g tub, Coyo works out at £1.60 per 100g
Making this with a Coyo starter works out at 55p per 100g
Making this using 250g saved from the previous batch works out at 39p per 100g (including saving 250g for the next batch)

Cecyhall Sun 19-Jul-15 20:22:41

This is not a recipe, more of an idea (and sorry if it's been posted before but it's a big thread to cross check!)

Today I put some pepperoni slices each topped with a small handful mozzarella under the grill and it was so good, when you think of it the cheese and pepperoni are the only flavoury bits of a pepperoni pizza and I did not miss the dough at all!

StuntNun Mon 29-Jun-15 18:58:11

Homemade salted pecans

250g pecan nuts
50g butter
2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon

Melt the butter. Add 1 tsp salt and the cinnamon then add the pecans and stir to coat. Roast at 110C for an hour, stirring every 15 minutes. Sprinkle over the other 1 tsp salt. Cool on some kitchen towel to remove any excess butter (so they aren't soggy). Eat in very small portions.

polealltheway Sun 28-Jun-15 10:43:56

Hi all

Has anyone got any tasty protein brownie recipes?

I have got chocolate and vanilla protein shakes and I am fed up of drinking them.

I have found recipes online but I would like some that are recommended as some of them sound gross!

I also have ground almonds if that helps?

dillite Sun 31-May-15 18:38:30

Here's something I made up the other day but it was very yummy so I thought I would share.

Pork Fillet in Creamy Sauce with Cauliflower and Swede Mash

Olive/coconut oil/ butter approx. 2Tbsp
Pork Fillet
3/4 Anchovies
1large tsp capers
2 shallots
2 cloves of garlic
300ml double cream
Chicken or vegetable stock 300ml
Salt and pepper

Preheat oven to 180 Celsius

In a frying pan heat oil of choice, it should cover the bottom of the pan. Chuck in anchovies, capers, minced garlic, chopped shallots and cook them gently until translucent. Add pork and brown on all sides. Once browned add stock and cream. Mic and simmer for a minute gently. Plsce into the oven for approximately 30min.

Make mash- steam cauli and swede until soft, mash with butter salt and pepper.

Remove pork from the oven and get pork on a plate under foil. Blend the sauce until smooth in the blender. Serve with mash and some green veg.

Gcalgske Sun 31-May-15 14:57:27
Gcalgske Thu 28-May-15 23:15:16

Nigel Slater adapted celeriac and smoked mackerel dauphinoise

300ml double cream
1 tbsp wholegrain mustard
1 bay leaves
200ml unsweetened almond milk or water
200g smoked mackerel
450g Celeriac
Slice the celeriac thinly.
Arrange in a shallow oven-proof dish.
Tear up the smoked mackerel and tuck into the slices.
Mix up the milk, double cream and mustard.
Season to taste then pour over the celeriac and mackerel.
Tuck in the bay leaf and pop into the oven 190C/Gas Mark 5 for about 45 minutes to an hour until the top is browned and bubbling and the bake is knife-tender.
Serve with a green salad.

CrabbyTheCrabster Wed 27-May-15 17:37:09

Crustless Bacon and Asparagus Quiche
8 large eggs
300 ml double cream
1/2 pack of garlic boursin
1/2 pack feta
handful grated gruyere
4 spring onions
4 rashers streaky bacon
5 spears asparagus
Crushed black peppercorns
Chopped herbs

Preheat oven to 180*C

Snip the bacon into little bits with scissors and lay them out in a frying pan with a bit of olive oil. Fry them until crispy, turning over when they're done on one side.
Put the eggs and cream in a bowl and beat with a fork.
Mash in the boursin so that it's distributed in the mixture. Crumble in the feta.
Chop the spring onions and add to the mixture.
Chop the asparagus fairly finely, leaving the heads of the spears longer. Add the chopped bits to the mix, reserving the heads.
Add the pepper and whatever herbs you like. I used dill today because I had some left over and thought it'd complement the feta.
Stir in the crispy bacon and olive oil from the pan.
Mix thoroughly and pour into a buttered flan dish. It's easier to put in the oven without spilling if you put it on a baking tray first.
Lay the asparagus heads on top in a vaguely arty way and sprinkle the gruyere all over.
Bake in the oven for about 40 mins until golden brown and the middle has stopped wobbling when you jiggle the dish. It will puff right up like a souffle, but goes down within a few minutes.

It's lovely hot but also very nice cold. I make one a week and have it for lunches with salad and mayo.

BIWI Tue 19-May-15 22:47:02

That sounds lovely, dillite

dillite Tue 19-May-15 00:22:45

I think I shall add a favourite of mine as well- I've only ever served it with either rice or mash though, but I'm sure it can be served with just veg too.

8 bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
3 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes, or more, to taste
1 cup chicken broth
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/3 cup julienned sun dried tomatoes in olive oil, drained
1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon dried basil
1/4 cup basil leaves, chiffonade

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
Season chicken thighs with salt and pepper, to taste.
Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a large oven-proof skillet over medium high heat. Add chicken, skin-side down, and sear both sides until golden brown, about 2-3 minutes per side; set aside.
Melt remaining tablespoon butter in the skillet. Add garlic and red pepper flakes, and cook, stirring frequently, until fragrant, about 1-2 minutes. Stir in chicken broth, heavy cream, sun dried tomatoes, Parmesan, thyme, oregano and basil.
Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer until slightly thickened, about 3-5 minutes. Return chicken to the skillet.
Place into oven and roast until completely cooked through, reaching an internal temperature of 175 degrees F, about 25-30 minutes.
Serve immediately, garnished with basil, if desired.

Apparently just 2.6g carbs per serving.

ewanhoozami Mon 18-May-15 18:39:09

It's extra good with a few toasted flaked almonds on the top, if you're feeling devilish

ewanhoozami Mon 18-May-15 18:36:30

4 large eggs, boiled and quartered
1 packet smoked mackerel
1 medium cauliflower
1 large echalion shallot
1 tbsp butter or ghee
1 tsp garam masala (or whatever interesting Indian spices you've got knocking about)
salt & pepper
1 tsp lemon juice

1. Chop the onion and cauliflower to a fine rice-like consistency in a food processor or with a grater.

2. Melt the butter / ghee and add the spices and salt, then fry the shallot and cauliflower in a deep pan on a low heat for 10 minutes

3. Flake the fish and stir into the cauliflower rice

4. Season , squeeze in the lemon, bung in the eggs and serve.

BIWI Wed 13-May-15 14:18:13

wornoutwaitress have you actually made it without the honey and berries though? Will it just not be sharp and/or bland without those?

CrabbyTheCrabster Wed 13-May-15 10:00:46

Easy (stick blender) Hollandaise Sauce

115g butter (I use salted)
2 large egg yolks
1 tbsp lemon juice (some recipes use vinegar or half water half lemon juice)

Melt the butter gently in a small pan until it's foaming. If you can skim off the white stuff, do so, otherwise let the milk solids settle at the bottom as much as possible.

Put the egg yolks and lemon juice in a container just wider than the head of the stick blender (they usually come with a tall narrow jug thing for this). Whizz them with the stick blender until pale and opaque (30 - 60 secs).

If possible, put the container on a grippy surface or wrap a tea towel round it, as you need three hands otherwise - one to hold the blender, one to pour the butter and one to stop the jug whizzing round with the blender! If someone is there to hold the container, that's the easiest thing.

When your butter is completely melted and the white bits (milk solids) are at the bottom, turn of the heat, turn on the blender and pour the melted butter very slowly into the egg yolks, whizzing the whole time. Move the stick blender up and down a bit to incorporate it all. It should be a tiny steady stream of butter like when you make mayonnaise.

Pour almost all of the butter in but leave the last bit that's got the milk solids in.

It only takes a minute or two, so leave it til everything else is ready. You can keep it warm for a little while (put the jug in a bowl of warm water) but it's best eaten immediately and doesn't reheat. It's rather delicious eaten cold (or from fridge) the next day though, straight from the jug. grin

wornoutwaitress Sun 03-May-15 22:55:11

lemon posset double cream 1.6g carbs per 100ml so 500ml = 8g carbs. lemon juice 1.7g carbs per 100ml. i used 50ml so that's 0.85g carbs. Leave out the honey and the berries and you have a yummy low carb dessert of about 2.2g carbs each.

Gcalgske Sat 02-May-15 10:58:24

Replace the potato in the bake with celeriac or cauliflower or just more leeks. Leave off the breadcrumbs too.

lisbapalea Wed 29-Apr-15 10:45:26

Grilled mackerel with fennel coleslaw (I will make with ff yog and will leave out the apples and carrots from the coleslaw):

lisbapalea Thu 23-Apr-15 12:37:08

Thanks BIWI. I have bought some shallots but used onions for the recipe, and the saag paneer one as I wanted to get rid of my old stock! that's interesting about the Sainsburys basics tomatoes; I usually buy those but didn't have them today. I guess it's because the tomatoes used in those are less ripe than in the premium brands, and therefore less sugary?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now