ooh, I'm going to Barbados, ooh, to the sunny Caribbean sea!

(28 Posts)
mckenzie Fri 31-Jul-09 15:39:11

Should I take US$ or Barbadian $ please?

Any tips from anyone who has been there gratefully received. We're staying at Almond Beach Village which I have just been reading on here is perhaps not the best we could have chosen but hey, too late now!

Will it be dressy in the evening? Is it worth my while taking nice frocks and my high heels? (We went to Lykia World the last two years and it was much too hot in the evening to ever think about putting my glad rags on! It was always just cotton sundress and flip flops!)

TIA

Floopy21 Fri 31-Jul-09 16:30:53

I stayed there years ago, it was lovely. If memory serves, it was no shorts for men / baseball caps / no tummies on show for women / no jeans / for dinner, but that may have all changed now... generally the dress code is as smart as you want to make it, I loved being able to wear pretty frocks that I usually don't get a chance to crack open in the UK! (couldn't be faffed with heels though)

Defo US$

Sunblock!! (you need factor 50, otherwise your skin goes leathery according to my dermatologist friend)

Hope you have a wonderful time, you lucky thing!

Rindercella Fri 31-Jul-09 16:52:56

Have a brilliant time - I love Barbados. I don't know much about Almond Beach, as I have also gone s/c there - is it on the West or South coast? I would definitely pack a nice frocks & heels for the evening. It can be a dressy place (esp the West coast) and I reckon there's no better excuse to dress up than being in Barbados smile.

It really doesn't matter whether you take Bds or US $, both are accepted just about everywhere. You're likely to get any change back in Bds $ though.

I am assuming you're going with DC. They should love Ocean Park, we really enjoyed it when we were there (Dec 08).

Other than that, take lots of sun block, some anti-mozzie spray & lots of $ (whether Bds or US), because it's blardy expensive grin

mckenzie Fri 31-Jul-09 17:19:08

thanks very much. Off to add Mozzie spray to the shopping list!

PestoBaskingMonster Fri 31-Jul-09 22:06:37

Take US dollars. We went to the Almond Beach Village 2 years ago. Twas fine. You will need long trousers for gents and I would definitely dress up in the evenings. Any questions, fire away (might not answer tonight though, as go to get up early in the mornign!)

mckenzie Sat 01-Aug-09 12:33:12

thanks Pesto. Did you go this time of year? Just wondering how warm it will be in the evenings, do we need cardigans etc?
Dh is going to hate having to wear long trousers! Will DS have to wear log trousers too? He's 8.

PestoPrideMonster Sat 01-Aug-09 12:40:55

Yes, we went the last week of August/first week of September. It is really hot, you won't need any cardis onc e you're there, but I would suggest you have one to wear on the plane as the airconditioning can be fierce!

You will find it is very hot & humid and you may get the occasional rain (it is the rainy season after all), but they don't usually last very long.

The long trousers rule won't apply to your DS, just your DH.

When you arrive they will allocate you a restaurant to eat your evening meal in, for the first night only. After that you will need to book them up in advance. I would suggest you do this on your first morning, then you won't waste any more of your holiday time.

If you get a chance I would highly recommend the adult only (air-conditioned) restaurant for 1 or 2 of your meals. It is fantastic. Your DS can be left in the kids club. They do really good entertainments there like pyjama parties and movie evenings and will also take your children off for their evening meal if you like. Our DDs never wanted to eat with us in the evenings and much preferred this option, eating with their mates with the kids club ladies.

PestoPrideMonster Sat 01-Aug-09 12:43:49

Other things my dds particularly enjoyed doing through kids club were banana-boating, waterskiing and beach cricket. The kids club really is very very good. They got their hair braided one afternoon too (all included!) and the kids club taught them different card games and they win prizes there too!

mckenzie Sat 01-Aug-09 17:23:18

thanks again pesto - that's all really helpful.

mckenzie Sat 01-Aug-09 17:24:02

did you do any of the sports Pesto or use the gym?

PestoPrideMonster Sat 01-Aug-09 17:33:14

I didn't use the gym (have enough of that at home wink), but I did use the Hobie Cats a lot and also rides on the banana boat which are all included. I would also recommend a trip on a glass bottomed boat. Just get one from the beach, they offer them all the time. Haggle a good price and they take you to see the turtles. Swimming in the water with them was the highlight of our holiday TBH. smile

PestoPrideMonster Sat 01-Aug-09 17:33:49

Also, we did tons of snorkling. I mean loads!

PestoPrideMonster Sat 01-Aug-09 17:35:53

Oh and I would thoroughly recommend the Reef restaurant as the place to go & have your breakfast, as it has the best ever setting right beside the beach & boardwalk. In the evening it is spectacular too, but I won't say why and spoil the surprise.

daffodilli Sat 01-Aug-09 17:44:58

envy is all the input I can offer!! Have a fantastic time!

mckenzie Sat 01-Aug-09 18:11:12

thanks Pesto - this is all really helpful What's a Hobie Cat please?

mckenzie Sat 01-Aug-09 18:11:55

And sorry daffodilli sad. I'd take you with me if I had room smile

Very envy. Barbados is lovely.

You can be as dressy as you want, at the Almond Beach, but you'll find that lots of the other guests have really gone to town with their outfits. Evenings will be very warm, so I doubt you'll need a cardi, unless you happen to be somewhere with airconditioning on.

I could never really be bothered dressing up, and it really doesn't matter.

If you can, and have the cash, try and go for dinner at The Cliff. A truly spectacular setting and lovely, lovely food.

Personally I always found it too hot to even contemplate the gym (although I suppose they will have air conditioning). The only time of day I could ever play tennis was right at the end of the day, when it is a tad cooler. What you'll find is that the sun comes up and it's almost immediately hot - no kind of warming up to it!

PestoPrideMonster Sat 01-Aug-09 20:36:02

Hobie cat = small catamaran sailing boats

PestoPrideMonster Sat 01-Aug-09 20:41:38
mckenzie Thu 20-Aug-09 19:41:51

hey Pesto - we're we talking about the same Almond Beach??? We, and just about everyone else we have spoken to, are so disappointed sad. The beach is lovely and the Hobie Cat is great fun. The italian adult restaurant is good too. But as for everything else....... I wouldn't know where to start. If anyone is thinking of going and would like more information then please say and i'll go into more detail but for now i'll just leave it by saying that we wont ever be coming back. And for the first time ever, I'm counting down the days until we can leave. That's sad huh?

jkklpu Thu 20-Aug-09 19:51:50

have a wonderful time
make sure you have decent travel insurance in case anyone gets ill while you're away - you don't want massive bills to pay

Cluckadoodledoo Thu 20-Aug-09 19:58:12

We stayed at Almond Beach Club the over 16's one (we had a week without kids yippee)and liked it.

We visited the Village as it had a larger beach and was livelier at night. It had a good atmosphere and looked fun for the families staying there.

Yes it is a large complex but that means lots to do. The Almond band are excellent.

Dress is how you want it tbh as long as no shorts for men at night. I like to dress up but if I had a busy day I didn't!

Enids at the Beach club is a fab restaurant if you manage a kid free night.

mckenzie Tue 25-Aug-09 20:47:32

well we're at the airport on the way home. Thank goodness for the great people that we met as otherwise the holiday would have been a complete disaster instead of just really really disappointing!

And DS (8) did manage to get up water skiing today after trying really hard all week and that has made my holiday smile He's so chuffed with himself.

Bye Bye Barbados.....

wotzy Thu 27-Aug-09 10:27:21

Oh dear, maybe you should do a review on MN longhaul, when you get back to the UK?

mckenzie Thu 27-Aug-09 14:51:38

We're home now so I've just done it. I sound like 'Mrs Angry from England' on it - I'm normally a positive person honestly!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now