Anyone used Maxi Cosi Priori XP on Plane?

(15 Posts)
gingerrage Tue 27-Jan-09 12:48:45

Hi, Anyone used a maxi cosi priori XP on a flight? We have booked a seat on our BA flight to Cape town for our 14 month old. We have been given conflicting info on whether we should use this car seat. BA have said that most new standard UK car seats fit in their aircraft, but, Maxi Cosi have said their car seats are not designed to work with a lap belt therefore are not suitable for the plane. Has anyone used theirs as I think it should be fine?
Thanks

I would double check with BA on what seat will be available for your child.

You may have a problem using this seat in the car once you arrive. All Child restraints in SA have to have The South African Bureau of Standards safety mark.

nocluemum Tue 27-Jan-09 14:00:03

We used our maxi cosi car seat on a flight once although cant remember the type of seat. I will say though that they made us hold the baby when we took off and landed and also during turbulence. The belt went round the car seat fine though

gingerrage Wed 28-Jan-09 18:30:25

Thanks. mixed messages on whether you need to hold the child during turbulance. although BA have confirmed you do hold the child on take off and landing which you have to do even with the BA own one.

AS for the SABS I'm investigating. If anyone has any info would be useful.

nocluemum Fri 30-Jan-09 13:00:18

Just a thought as well. BA have these fab seats on the front row where a normal bassinet would go for 14 month olds. They are made by Britax and comfy for them to sleep and feed in. Gives you the extra space even if you want to use your own car seat too. Still ahve to hold them in turbulence take off etc. Hope this helps

gingerrage Tue 03-Feb-09 13:35:18

Ds is heavier than the 13k (yes he is big for 14 months) so I think he is too heavy for those car seat/bouncer type things. We are taking the maxi cosi BA assure us 99% new car seats from UK fit. Aunt has told us car seat will be fine in hire car (and better than what will be provided).

HolidaysQueen Wed 11-Feb-09 10:22:58

Just back (yesterday!) from Cape Town with BA with our 10mo. Booked him a seat as we had the airmiles, but didn't take car seat on board because he is still in rear-facing which we needed for car and didn't want to have two car seats! Also BA on phone told us about Britax car seats they have on board that we could use in seat instead of bassinets for younger babies. Turns out it is as nocluemum says - they have Britax seats, but they are for use on cot points for older babies, not for use on seats. It was absolutely fabulous - DS slept brilliantly and we had loads of room. However we ended up paying for a seat for DS that we did not need. I am about to send them a stinking letter about misinformation on phone and try to get refund for seat - the Britax seats they have are brilliant and all you need, and probably better than having your DC in a car seat in a seat anyway as they can recline more so sleep well.

I suggest cancelling your seat for your DC and carrying on your lap - you will then get one of the bulkhead seats with cot position and more leg room for you.

You have to hold child for turbulence but stewardesses seemed to take a sensible approach - made me hold him for bad bit, but let me leave him sleeping when it wasn't so bad and said they'd come and tell me to hold him if it got worse.

You will have a fab time - no jetlag and just wonderul for kids. One hint though - restaurants often don't have high chairs so take a totseat or booster seat. We borrowed one from a friend and it made a huge difference.

Our car seat is obviously not SABS approved but nobody questioned it - loads of people don't use car seats anyway and we got stopped at standard road block for licence check and police never bothered to check our seat.

gingerrage Tue 17-Feb-09 14:51:09

thanks for the useful info!!!!

gingerrage Wed 25-Mar-09 15:35:23

We used it. it was perfect! highly recommend buying kiddicare car seat travel bag to carry car seat round airport to the gate though provied invaluable!

thecaptain Mon 11-May-09 08:25:17

gingerrage,

Just wanted to confirm that you took the maxi-cosi priori on the airplane with you and it worked well? Did you travel economy class? What was the stated seat size by the airline please? We are travelling Swiss air economy, with a stated seat width of 17.3", and Swiss in an email have confirmed that the seat base must be no bigger than 40cmx40cm.

Were you able to secure the car seat in the plane seat easily? Did the flight attendants complain? Any further details would be very much appreciated!

PadDad Wed 17-Jun-09 15:57:32

This is the seat I'm thinking of using on our long-haul flight for our 18month old. Is it ok to secure it on the plane?

adinaw Tue 28-Jul-09 20:13:17

Did you use Maxi cosi for your travel? We plan on taking it in August and I have few worries:
1. Isn't it too big to fit inside a small sit?
2. Is it FAA? Where can I see it is approved for traveling?

natalievee Thu 24-Mar-11 14:24:58

has anyone used the maxi cosi priori on american airlines? it looks too wide but some reviews say it is fine. looks like seat is only 17 wide. but i am not sure if the stated width of the Priori includes soft bits which can be wedged in. any help appreciated.

SacredCows Mon 25-Feb-13 15:44:03

These two links are, hands down, the most comprehensive on car seats in planes/ infant & child safety / and include very interesting information on EU laws (including the 'hold your baby during turbulence' rule) that flies in the face of air safety. A must read for any parent who flies with kids ... and a useful resource on those who wish to lobby for rule changes:

flyingwithchildren.blogspot.in/
www.cpsafety.com/articles/airplanetravel.aspx

I have a MaxiCosi Priorifix (the car seat with the extra stabilizer leg) and am finding it pretty difficult to reconcile safety with convenience!

I don't want to sound rude but why are you taking a seat? You know there will be no where for the seat to go and it is not recommended for children to be in seats for that length of time. The seat won't go in the overhead so the child will be stuck in it.

I'd recommend ditching the car seat. Ask cabin Crewe for an extension belt so baby can sit on your knee during take off and landing. It also means she or he will have room to play, you can lift the arm rests etc and at 14 months can probably pretty much lie flat for a sleep.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now