Anyone been on holiday to Tasmania?

(7 Posts)
NannyR Wed 09-Nov-16 20:25:47

I'm looking at going next March and just trying to work out an itinerary. What were your highlights/must sees? Anywhere that's not worth trying to fit in?
I like history , wildlife and being outdoors so it looks like Tasmania might be a good fit for me!

specialsubject Thu 10-Nov-16 20:59:59

While back, spent three weeks there and still not enough! Takes longer than you think to get about as twisty roads. Camp if you can at cradle mountain and near port Arthur for wildlife madness at dusk.

Perfect fit for what you want.

Scotinoz Fri 11-Nov-16 13:56:59

Tassie is awesome! We rented a camper a couple of years back pre-children.

The beaches in the North East, the Bay of Fires etc, are beautiful. Canyoning at Cradle Mountain is possibly one of the most fun things I've ever done. And the River Gordon is magnificent 😀

EnoughAlready43 Fri 11-Nov-16 14:04:46

I have.
We drove around for two weeks in an anticlockwise direction from the ferry port at devonport. we went by car from melbourne.
lovely beach at coles bay.
go to cape freycinet and wineglass bay.
the drive into hobart is exhilarating.
dove lake near mount st clair is gorgeous.
its all lovely.
i'm jealous of you.

NannyR Fri 11-Nov-16 14:40:12

Wow, thanks for the replies, sounds like it's a great place to go on holiday.
Maybe you can help me with some itinerary suggestions?

Unfortunately I've only got two weeks for my holiday. In that two weeks is a four day walk on the tasman peninsula, which is a must do.

My original thought was that I would fly into hobart, spend a day there, drive down to port arthur for the walk, then drive up to Maria lsland, freycinet, across to cradle mountain, then fly out of Launceston. However, when I've looked at driving times and distances it looks like I'm going to spend a lot of time driving and moving between accommodations.

So my second idea I've had is to fly in and out of hobart and spend my holiday around what would be the south east of the island. I love historical places so I'd like to spend a day or two in hobart and some time looking properly round places such as port arthur, there look to be some nice beaches and short walks on the tasman peninsula, then mount field national park, the huon valley, a wildlife sanctuary near hobart, takune airwalk (? - i'm at work so I'm trying to remember things I was looking at last night online!). I've also had recommended a full day seaplane trip from hobart to the south west national park, which is pricy but supposedly amazing. I'm thinking there is enough there to keep me busy for 12 days.

With it being so far away I feel like I should see as much of the island as possible, but equally, it's a holiday and I don't want to come back exhausted from having tried to fit too much in.

I love Australia and will more than likely go back again in a few years for a longer holiday so I could see the bits I've missed out this time then.

What do you Tassie experts think???

Teds77 Sat 19-Nov-16 05:22:36

I must have been there in early 2003. Just did a week at the end of a longer Aussie trip and it was fab. I flew into Launceston because that we best for price and bus connection to the Overland Track. Don't remember spending anytime in Launceston just staying overnight in a really noisy hotel! Did the track so saw Cradle Mountain which was stunning. Can't remember how long I can asked for but think 4/5 days. Then got bus to Hobart. Remember a day in Hobart which was nice and a day in Port Arthur.

Was brilliant week and would definitely recommend going.

singme Mon 28-Nov-16 20:07:10

I would recommend Bruny Island which isn't too far from Hobart. A mini-Tassie with lovely beaches and nice places to eat. Very relaxing. Equally Cradle Mountain-Lake St Clair was brilliant, as was Freycinet national park.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now