Have you been to Riviera Maya with teens? I really need recommendation for next august for 10 nights please.

(13 Posts)
ihatethecold Wed 26-Oct-16 16:43:11

We will need a separate room for my 2 teens and I'd like all inclusive.
I don't want to be stuck in the middle of nowhere.
Not Cancun but not dead either.

Where did you stay? Could you walk anywhere outside the resort.

A nice beach is also very important.

Also, will mozzies be a major issue?

ihatethecold Wed 26-Oct-16 20:19:17

bump

ShebaQueen Wed 26-Oct-16 20:25:55

We stayed here www.thomascook.com/destinations/mexico/cancun-area/tulum/grand-bahia-principe-tulum/?gclid=CPbviOuY-c8CFQoTGwodjWwBnA&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=COK2nuuY-c8CFeww0wodT9cMDg
it was great for teens and the beach was lovely, but couldn't walk outside of the resort, it was literally on a massive dual carriageway. We enjoyed it but I wouldn't go back.

I have to be honest, the mosquitoes were horrendous absolutely nothing seemed to repel them and we were eaten alive.

vimtoqueen1 Wed 26-Oct-16 20:31:37

Be careful picking one if you have views on dolphins or other animals in captivity. We booked grand principe (recommended above) before they built the smallest dolphin pool ever. It's not our kind of thing but I have to say the resort was good and big enough to go different bars/restaurants etc of a nighttime.
There are lots of excursions you can do and swimming at akumal beach and seeing the turtles swimming wild was a massive highlight for us.
I think nighttimes might be abit boring and you are confided to the resort of a night.
Depends if they are happy watching DVDs, playing on iPads and reading.

Stella08 Wed 26-Oct-16 20:35:22

I can definitely recommend the Bahia Principe Coba (same resort as PP recommendation) my DD spent her 13th birthday there last year. The best holiday we've ever had!!

Stella08 Wed 26-Oct-16 20:39:05

Have to say I didn't go and look at the dolphin thing (couldn't face it). We spent most nights in the snack bar ( huge group of us went for a family wedding) and over in the entertainment place. Apparently there was also entertainment in the bars in the hotels but we didn't bother with them x

ihatethecold Wed 26-Oct-16 21:13:02

I'm really not interested to looking at animals in captivity.
Dolphins like that would really bother me.

I would like to be somewhere that has stuff going on outside the resort.

mouldycheesefan Thu 27-Oct-16 10:36:15

I love riviera maya but the hotel we stay at is small and wouldn't be ideal for teens. Moon palace is apparently good for teens but is in cancun. If you prefer a boutique hotel experience To all inclusive then tulum has lots of small hotels right on an amazing beach, but they are boutique style so not teen focused.
We also did a two centre New York and riviera maya and I think that would be great for teens.

ihatethecold Thu 27-Oct-16 11:20:09

Thanks Mouldy.
My kids don't mix with other kids on holiday but id like then to have things to do. Like paddle boarding or kayaking.
Happy to stay in a small hotel as long as there's a pool.
Where did you stay and is Tulum a very long way from Cancun

mouldycheesefan Thu 27-Oct-16 12:07:51

We have stayed in dreams tulum a few times. Smaller hotel with about 350 rooms, we don't like mega huge resorts. All inclusive. You can walk down the beach from the hotel or you can get a bus or taxi anywhere you want to go e.g xel-ha , akumal etc. Use it as a base to explore the area.
It's about an hour and a quarter from the airport.
My children love it but I don't think I have seen many teens there. Having said that mine are joiners in who love kids club and making friends. Yes there is kayaking, volleyball, football etc but so much to do in the area that's what makes it.
I definitely recommend combining with New York.

ihatethecold Thu 27-Oct-16 12:44:39

Was the wifi any good and do they have family suites or would l need 2 rooms.
I'm not sharing with my kids anymore!

Tequilamockinbird Thu 27-Oct-16 12:50:04

If you want to be able to walk around on a night, I recommend Playacar. There's a couple of Riu Hotels there. I haven't stayed there mind.

Grand Palladium is nice, but further down in Riviera Maya. Royalton is apparently really good too, and is in Riviera Cancun, so not Cancun itself, but not far away in a taxi should you want to visit for shopping etc

mouldycheesefan Thu 27-Oct-16 15:50:56

No idea about the wifi or the family rooms. May need to book 2 rooms, puts the price up though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now