flying business class for the first time, need tips please

(41 Posts)
mysistersimone Tue 25-Oct-16 20:14:01

I've decided to blow a chunk of my savings and fly business class with Air New Zealand to L.A.
I'm really nervous as I'm worried it's something for the rich and beautiful (of which I'm neither) I swing between excited and overwhelmed.
Has anyone who's flown business please tell me if there's an etiquette for it? Dress code, behaviour? I'm not a drunk who swears or anything, just a polite person. Is there anything you would advise to take advantage of? Is the business class lounge intimidating? I'm flying alone, my sister is taking care of my kids.
I want to make the most of it just not make a tit of myself. Thanks

strongandlong Tue 25-Oct-16 20:19:15

Ooh it'll be lovely. I love a good lounge!

There's nothing you need to do differently. You'll just have more space, better food/drink and more attentive service.

Have a wonderful time!

bigfriendlygiant Tue 25-Oct-16 20:19:51

It's not for the rich and beautiful.
If any of the staff make you feel uncomfortable submit a complaint straight away.
Wear smart casual clothes and enjoy every perk of it.

NicknameUsed Tue 25-Oct-16 20:20:18

The only difference between flying business and economy is that you get more legroom and better food. There is no dress code and you don't have to behave differently. Just be considerate towards the other passengers, as you would in economy.

No-one dresses up to fly unless they are coming straight from the office or going straight to a business meeting. OH always used to wear jeans. And most business class flyers are not rich and beautiful. OH used to fly for business and his flights were always paid for by someone else. I expect a lot of fellow passengers won't have paid for their flights either.

Backingvocals Tue 25-Oct-16 20:21:06

God how lush. It's such a lovely break from the kids/phone.

No dress code. Go for maximum comfy clothing. Go and sit in the Lounge area and try all the snacks and read all the papers. Then board and watch films wrapped up in a blanket for hours and hours....

Have a fab time. (Went to NY for work and weekend away combined recently. The day flight was honestly th highlight for me. I spoke to no one. Caught up on films and got looked after. Marvellous!).

HerRoyalNotness Tue 25-Oct-16 20:23:40

Just be yourself!! I always worw jeans and a T in business and somethings changed into pjs. Don't be shy in the lounge. Help yourself to snacks and drinks. Be polite to the staff, and enjoy yourself!

Obsidian77 Tue 25-Oct-16 20:24:34

Wear comfy clothes (no need to dress up). Stroll onboard as if you belong there - you do, cos you've paid for it. It's so much nicer. smile

FinallyHere Tue 25-Oct-16 20:25:28

Absolutely get to the airport in time to enjoy the lounge. Have a great time.

SweetChickadee Tue 25-Oct-16 20:27:02

When I was 21 work flew me first class to NY .. it was bloody great grin

The staff were wonderful - they did a mean G&T in the lounge too

Enjoy OP

Mirandawest Tue 25-Oct-16 20:29:51

I once got upgraded to business class on a flight back from America. It was lovely (was also 18 years ago - where has the time gone?) No dress code - the man and I who got upgraded were both wearing casual clothes and fitted in fine.

blueskyinmarch Tue 25-Oct-16 20:31:07

We are neither rich nor beautiful but we fly business class often thanks to DHs air miles. No need to dress up or do anything different to flying economy. I like to enjoy a glass of wine and food in the lounge and I adore the flat bed and masses of leg room on the flight. Enjoy!

mysistersimone Tue 25-Oct-16 20:32:25

Wow, I wasn't expecting to many replies, thanks so much.

Right, I'm going to be my smiley super polite self and just enjoy it. Once in lifetime thing this grin

Wishforsnow Tue 25-Oct-16 20:32:35

There really is no difference just more leg room, better food and the staff are nicer to you.

Wishforsnow Tue 25-Oct-16 20:33:09

Oh and enjoy the lounge and the wine!

StickyProblem Tue 25-Oct-16 20:36:17

Remember you can check in at the business class desk, so no waiting usually, and you can go through Fast Track security as well. They might take your bag off the carousel for you at the other end too. It's not just the flight, it's the other bits too.

Enjoy OP, have a fab time!

eurochick Tue 25-Oct-16 20:37:41

The lounge is great. Enjoy it. Free drinks, food, wifi and space!

I do find the people in biz are generally a bit politer and the staff more attentive but otherwise it's just more space! Some airlines offer to make up your "bed" after dinner is finished. Rather than standing in the aisle like a lemon I tend to go and brush my teeth at this point. Other airlines just leave you covers and pillows to suit yourself out. The seats can be quite complicated to operate. There will be a guide somewhere!

SimonLeBonOnAndOn Tue 25-Oct-16 20:39:06

Great thread.
I am being flown business class to Hong Kong next month and am as excited about the flight as I am about the trip.
Hope you enjoy it OP.

specialsubject Tue 25-Oct-16 20:40:31

No dress code - just be polite, quiet and non smelly (inc perfume) same as the rest of the plane.

Enjoy. You wont want it to end!

mysistersimone Tue 25-Oct-16 20:49:18

sticky could I just ask you more about the check in? Is the business class desk clearly marked? Same with fast track bit? I find airports a bit scary.

mysistersimone Tue 25-Oct-16 20:57:12

Simon I lived in HK a long time ago, amazing place, scary airport as it's extremely close to the houses. Brace yourself for a rather pungent smell when you disembark wink

happydays00 Tue 25-Oct-16 20:58:02

mysister yes the business class check in desks are marked. Generally located just to the right of the economy check in desks / bag drops. They'll let you know if you are eligible for fast track through security - at some airports at certain times the normal security is just as quick. But enjoy every minute of your special flight - hope you can make the most of it!

StickyProblem Tue 25-Oct-16 22:46:38

Hi OP, yes as happy says the business class check in is clearly marked and also try the fast track security. They will tell you if you can't use it. From Heathrow I'm sure you can.

I've only flown Business a handful of times (paid for by work), the first time I didn't even think about check in desks and security, and spent ages looking for my bag on the carousel when it had been taken off! Took me a few goes to get the hang of it smile so I hope you get it right first time!

My first time in Business, I got on the plane and something kept pushing me in the back. I thought it was the guy behind me stretching his feet out. After about 15 minutes I thought I've got to say something, this is driving me mad. Stood up, looked round...the seat behind me was about 4 feet back, there's no way he could have reached me with his feet. Turned out it was a fancy lumbar support thing in the seat, it could be inflated or deflated, it had been put on "cycle" and was going in and out blush

Couldn't find the TV either! Ask for anything you can't find, it's all there, and the cabin crew are less busy with far fewer staff so are always super helpful.

iknowimcoming Wed 26-Oct-16 00:00:06

My tip would be take anything you'll need during the flight (iPad, book etc) out of your bag when you board and stow it in the little cubbyhole/drawer (you don't get the big bag on the back of the seat in front of you to store things like in economy) and put your bag in the overhead locker. You'll get given lip balm, hand cream, moisturiser etc so won't need any of that, but most of all enjoy it, the lounge and all that stuff are lovely it's such a fab way to travel, it's hard to go back to economy after .....

ShanghaiDiva Wed 26-Oct-16 13:06:26

Air NZ business class is really nice - they have a type of mattress which they put on your seat (fully reclines) when they make your bed up for you if it's a night flight.
No dress code - anyone in a suit has generally come straight from work.
Have a lovely trip smile

Cantchooseaname Wed 26-Oct-16 13:35:11

Check the end to end services- Emirates gives you a chauffeur car for I think 50 miles free- can save you transfers, or get you home really quickly if you are close enough. Not sure about air Nz.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now