Taking your own food

(18 Posts)
ChipIn Fri 21-Oct-16 14:02:45

DH and I are going to the UK from Aus for Christmas with DD who will be just over 1 year old. The airline has added baby food to our booking but it's jars so I presume purée of some kind.

DD is pretty much eating family meals I don't know whether purée will be enough for her (plus, who knows what's in it confused) so I'd like to take our own food. Has anyone ever done this? What kind of food could we take that will last 24 hours and be at least halfway nutritious?

Thanks smile

Meadows76 Fri 21-Oct-16 14:04:33

Can't you just tell the airline your child eats food rather than baby jars?

FTS123 Fri 21-Oct-16 14:06:06

Order a children's meal instead and take some purée pouches with you?

user1476140278 Fri 21-Oct-16 14:07:43

Yes, order the children's meals. But you can take food on with you...you just can't take it off the plane. I've done the flight from UK to Oz with children a lot...they're very helpful.

Just declare any food. Take sealed things and show them.

idontlikealdi Fri 21-Oct-16 14:08:54

We flew to USA with a layover in Iceland with icelandair - no frills - you pay extra for food which didn't sound great. DTs who were 2.5 had a full breakfast with us in the airport, we bought sandwiches at EAT for all of us and took a load of snacks - breadsticks, fruit yo yo, babybel, some frozen yogurt tubes, got some yoghurt airside, little packages of mixed fruit. It wasn't healthy but means to an end and all that, it was fine.

atticusclaw2 Fri 21-Oct-16 14:10:57

Check with the airline first. We went to the US with friends who had a little one. My BF spent a fortune on organic plum babyfood which she knew her DS would eat - enough for the fortnight.

It all got taken away. Every last bit of it. She was gutted.

ChipIn Fri 21-Oct-16 14:49:40

Thanks for the suggestions for what to take. I called today regarding food and was told it's jars or we bring our own. As we haven't paid for a seat for DD she isn't entitled to a full meal. I thought she'd get a kids size too but apparently not.

LIZS Fri 21-Oct-16 15:00:28

Did you offer to pay for the meal?

DixieWishbone Fri 21-Oct-16 15:07:48

Can she share some of your meal?

We flew with our 20 month twins and gave them food before the flight and took cereal, sandwiches, crackers and other dry snacks, and dried fruit onto the flight with us. It was only a 10 hour flight though. We brought bottles of water on with us.

You can take on anything that you buy once you have cleared passport control and security. Do you know what shops are available at the airport at that point? You could phone them and ask if they stock baby food.

EssentialHummus Fri 21-Oct-16 15:12:53

In practice a lot of airlines allow "seconds" if there are leftovers, so you could chance it and ask on-board. If not, could she share one of yours / combined with purees? Take extra snacks and bits on board with you.

SavoyCabbage Fri 21-Oct-16 15:14:35

You can take 'food for an infant' which is over the 100mls allowance as long as you declare it. They may ask you to taste it.

You can take other food as long as it doesn't break the 100mls rule when you go through security. So you can't take yogurt for example. You can take fruit, sandwiches etc.

I always take enough food for the 26 hours for my dd as she's anaphylactic. They eat far less on planes as they aren't moving around.
It counts in your baggage allowance if you are buying before check in.

Take an empty sippy cup.

Bythebeach Fri 21-Oct-16 15:18:58

Just an aside but ig you can afford it, pay for a seat!!! Long haul with toddlers is tricky and they are too big to fit in the bassinets but having them on your laps for 12 hours +is horrible.

DixieWishbone Fri 21-Oct-16 20:17:38

ByTheBeach I agree with that. We were fortunate in having a credit card that gives airmiles and being able to use them to buy tickets. I think it was safer for the DC to have their own seat. It stopped them being thrown around as projectiles if we hit bad turbulence, and it was more comfortable for them as their car seats reclined.

OP it might be an idea to take some bed pads to put under your baby when she is sitting on your lap and take a change of clothes on board for you as well as her. If her nappy leaks it will protect your clothes. Nothing worse than having to stand for 1.5 hours in immigration at Heathrow with someone else's urine soaking through your trousers.

Meadows76 Fri 21-Oct-16 21:34:15

As we haven't paid for a seat for DD she isn't entitled to a full meal. but you could order and pay for one for her

ChipIn Sat 22-Oct-16 05:21:23

Lizs I didn't think to specify paying extra when I called them, I did ask whether she could have a proper meal and was told only infant. I thought she would have said then "yes, for an additional charge" which we'd be happy to pay. I'll call back on Monday to ask again.
Bythebeach I'd love to be able to pay for her own seat but we just don't have another $2k for a ticket.
Dixiewishbone, thanks for the heads up - sounds like you're speaking from experience! grin
Also, happy for her to share ours but she's got a decent appetite so she'd eat close to a full one herself! Hopefully I can just buy her a meal when I call back.

Thanks everyone. Flying between Aus and uk is old hat for us now but with a baby is a whole new ball game!

habibihabibi Fri 28-Oct-16 19:09:48

Who are you flying with ?
I still used the bassinets for my children till they were about 16 months with Emirates , Etihad and Qatar .
They were not small babies either.
As for food , those airlines would heat stuff I'd brought on board. Also I'd advise bringing tons of wipes , old baby onesies that I'd just chuck away after the flight and a big rubbish sack for all the crud you generate . My biggest challenge was having a tray of food to juggle whilst nursing a grabby baby . With a rubbish sack you can just tip it all away when you are done .

FreeButtonBee Fri 28-Oct-16 19:20:10

I've never had a problem taking food onto the plane provided it's not wet. Normally I go mad in the little M&S food stores near arrivals partic for fresh fruit/veggie pasta salad, cheese sarnies and other things that don't spoil too faat

LyndaNotLinda Fri 28-Oct-16 19:28:52

I've taken food there/back on a trip to the US with DS who has ASD and eats a very restricted diet. I did order children's meals but it wasn't anything he'd eat. As long as it's dry, you can take it through security. Anything wet needs to be bought airside. I would find out what outlets are available where you're flying from and plan what to buy her. You may find the airline has no facility to take payment for a meal if it's a flight where food/drink are complimentary.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now