Injections for Dominican Republic

(6 Posts)
Polkadotties Mon 10-Oct-16 10:30:58

I am going to Dominican Republic end of next month. I last went there in 2007 and had all injections before I went. I phoned my doctors surgery but they could not tell me over the phone if I need anything further, I need to go in and collect a form. Which is fine apart from the fact they open after I leave for work and shut before I get home and they don't open at the weekend.
Does anyone know if the injections I had last time will still be protecting me?

dementedpixie Mon 10-Oct-16 20:45:43

We got hepatitis A, typhoid injections and had to take malaria tablets. Info says hepatitis A last for 1 year unles you get a booster 6-12 months after the first one and then it gives about 20 years protection. Typhoid one lasts for 3 years.

www.fitfortravel.nhs.uk/destinations/caribbean/dominican-republic.aspx gives advised injections

dementedpixie Mon 10-Oct-16 20:46:54

Can you get someone else to collect the form for you?

dementedpixie Mon 10-Oct-16 20:47:35

So basically yes I think you will need them all again unless you got 2 doses of hep A

Polkadotties Mon 10-Oct-16 21:40:45

I'll go and get the form and be a bit late for work. It's my health, work can wait smile

TrickyD Wed 19-Oct-16 00:49:16

You are not likely to get malaria, but many travel insurance policies demand that you take all recommended precautions, which include malaria tablets. If you don't you run the risk of their wriggling out of an unrelated medical claim. The cheapest source of Avloclor, which are the ones you want, is Boots.

Otherwise you just need to be up to date with your usual jabs, tetanus etc, the ones you have just for life in the UK, which you seem to be doing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now