Anyone been to Iran?

(16 Posts)
Katsite Mon 03-Oct-16 19:30:30

We are going in 3 weeks and I have such high expectations and am super excited. Only doing Shiraz and Isfahan and possibly a night in the desert in between.
I am now worried I will be disappointed. This has been my dream for over 20 years...

Maz2444466 Mon 03-Oct-16 19:46:51

I did a tour of Shiraz and Isfahan. You won't be disappointed. They are absolutely beautiful places. And as i'm sure you know Persian food is fantastic! smile

Katsite Mon 03-Oct-16 19:53:42

I cannot wait! Did you take US dollars or Euros with you, Maz ?

GeorgeHerbert Wed 12-Oct-16 18:50:17

I went 15 years ago, Tehran, Shiraz and Isfahan.
It was possibly one of the best holidays I have ever had. Persepolis and Isfahan were simply stunning, the food was to die for, the Iranian people charming, cultured and friendly.
We took dollars and changed them on the black market- (possibly not possible now) and everything was very cheap.
I wish I was going back! Have a fabulous time.

Katsite Wed 12-Oct-16 19:31:14

smile

OldBeanbagz Mon 17-Oct-16 14:03:12

I went pre millennium. We did Tehran, Persepolis, Shiraz, Isfahan, Yazd & Bam (pre earthquake) on an organised tour, about 3 weeks in total.

It was a fantastic country full of friendly people and i'd love to go back. Maybe i'll try and fit it in next year smile

Justwanttowooinpeace Mon 31-Oct-16 20:42:24

Just found this post -
OP come back and tell us how it is. I'd love to go.

Katsite Sat 03-Dec-16 14:02:39

It was amazing, just!! such a rich experience and as pp said full of friendly people.
Fabulous food - much better than I expected, too. We only did Shiraz and Isfahan and with the DC couldn't do everything but it was a wonderful experience.

Definitely recommend.

habibihabibi Mon 05-Dec-16 17:08:02

Could you imagine living there ?
With children ?
My husband has an job opportunity in Tehran and I am desperate for info about schools and life in Iran so we could potentially relocate there as a family .
We will hopefully visit in the new year .

AgentProvocateur Mon 05-Dec-16 17:22:25

I'm hoping to go next year. It looks amazing. OP, did you have to wear a headscarf all the time?

Autumnsweater Mon 05-Dec-16 17:23:54

Amazing! It's my dream holiday

Katsite Mon 05-Dec-16 20:14:55

People were so nice to our DCs that ours felt a bit overwhelmed at times. We felt safe and welcome as a family. Not a word or a look of disapproval or anything negative.

Yes, I wore a headscarf at ALL times, even 10 year old DDs did it. I was prepared for this but it's a huge hassle. Make sure you have a non-slippery material for the scarf and do like the locals do> lots of pins (all hidden from sight in their case but I couldn't be bothered), even buttons and elastic bands I saw when they had to take it off in the airport security.

It is definitely worth that inconvenience. I still dream about all the things we saw and all the ones we could still do. Next time I would take a recommended guide and do something more off the main tourist track. But with the kids I didn't want to commit to a tour.

I actually really want to go back. and, habibi, I was contemplating an assignment there as we have done a lot of (expat) postings around the world. It is very tempting but I think Teheran would be a bit too big for me now. Too much traffic, pollution, etc. Otherwise I would be seriously tempted.

habibihabibi Tue 06-Dec-16 15:31:01

I am really open to Tehran but concerned about the schooling. Lived in the gulf , including Saudi for many years so am not worried about dress too much and I have boys which makes it easier. Did you meet any expats ?

Katsite Tue 06-Dec-16 16:13:02

No, only tourists grin

I presume you asked on living overseas?

habibihabibi Tue 06-Dec-16 18:37:56

I did a month or so back but no one replied. I can't find any info on British/ international schooling.

Katsite Tue 06-Dec-16 22:03:20

Have you got an embassy/consulate there that you could ask?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now