Where to go long haul with a one year old in Dec/Jan?

(7 Posts)
Minimim Sun 25-Sep-16 17:30:34

Hi all,

I am hoping to take a friend of mine and her one year old (just - in Nov) on a holiday somewhere hot this winter. We'd like to go somewhere interesting and cultural with stuff to do - neither of us are the type to be happy just sitting on a beach/in a resort the whole time. But equally I want it to be an actual holiday and relaxing so somewhere where it'll be relatively easy to get about with the baba! Does anyone have any suggestions? We're thinking Thailand or India (probably Goa) but both of us have been there a few times... anywhere else in Asia? Or the Caribbean?? If anyone has any other suggestions I'd be really grateful! Budget is probably up to about £4k for two weeks. Thanks in advance!

NicknameUsed Sun 25-Sep-16 20:22:43

If your friend's baby will only have just turned one year old I think you may need to consider what vaccinations are required before you go. Some vaccinations are unsuitable for children under 12 months.

SJane45S Mon 26-Sep-16 08:02:16

Sorry to be negative but if it was me, I'd probably put off long haul with your friend for a couple of years, I can't see it being much of a relaxing time for you if I'm honest! I went to Trinidad and Tobago with my then 6 month year old and my ex sister in law and her 18 month old baba and it was hard work! Heat was the main problem and trying to keep them in the shade. Add to that we didn't get much sleep as their sleeping patterns were completely thrown up in the air due to time differences. My daughter wasn't keen on the local baby food and pretty much ate mashed banana for 2 weeks. At one they are too heavy to carry and too young to walk everywhere and not all surfaces are going to be buggy friendly. I hate to say it but boring as it is, you may have a more relaxing and better time in a nice hotel taking some gentle daily excursions! Or go somewhere first world with less heat and more baby (I did Canada with my eldest at 18 months and had a much better time!). Just my opinion though!

danTDM Mon 26-Sep-16 08:08:59

How about MExico? It's a direct flight and has loads of culture and good food for all, avocados, lovely fruit etc for the one year old.

You could potentially find a posh reputable hotel with good childcare facilites, or with that budget even hire a nanny for a week to have a bit of a break. Sounds like you are doing a lovely thing for your friend.

Mexico is so child friendly! Sea is gorgeous.

SJane45S Mon 26-Sep-16 08:15:41

More baby friendly - not more baby!

HeadDreamer Tue 04-Oct-16 17:07:25

December and Jan won't be that warm in Thailand and Goa. We did Singapore and Malaysia in Sep with a 18mo and it wasn't bad. I never understood the problem with sun and heat and young children. Plenty of babies in those countries. You just need to be sensible really.

Chewbecca Tue 04-Oct-16 17:14:27

I wouldn't want my child to have the extra jabs for Asia if I were the mum.

How about west coast of America? Lots to see and do there & still warm (not necessarily hot though).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now