any way to extend a layover in New york ?

(9 Posts)
DizzyCatDance Sun 18-Sep-16 11:27:27

hi
Im booking flights soon for a trip to orlando next july / aug

Some of the flights have a stop over in JFK but not for enough time to actually "do" anything in NY.

If I were to accidentally Miss my connecting flight form orlando to jfk what happens ?

Could I drive / bus from Orlando to jfk ( a couple of days early) and take the jfk - london part of my flight or if I miss the Orlando = jfk part is the whole flight cancelled ?

Many thanks in advance

If Ive gone through immigration could I drive / bus down to orlando after a couple of days in NY and then get my scheduled flight back

RusholmeRuffian Sun 18-Sep-16 14:19:25

Try booking the flights as multiple flights rather than a straight return. Not all websites let you do this but Skyscanner and Orbitz do. I've done this plenty of times but not that exact route.

MalawiGin Sun 18-Sep-16 14:23:20

If you miss the first part of your flight itinerary the rest of the connections on your route are usually automatically cancelled.

GiddyOnZackHunt Sun 18-Sep-16 14:27:11

If your flights are booked as one trip and you fail to turn up for one leg of it that can cancel the whole thing. So if you drove from Orlando to NYC then you might not be able to board in NYC.
If you'd booked Orlando to NYC on one flight and then had a separate booking NYC to London you'd be fine.

It would all be cancelled if you missed a portion of the flight.

eurochick Sun 18-Sep-16 14:42:23

The rest of the trip would be cancelled. Book three separate flights or an open jaw ticket if you would prefer to overland from NY to Orlando.

Sootica Sun 18-Sep-16 14:46:12

You can select a minimum layover period can't you on skyscraper
But I agree just book multiple flights don't book flights you have no intention of using !

elastamum Sun 18-Sep-16 14:49:48

Your flights will be cancelled if you don't show for the first leg. My advice would be to book the trip you want in advance. The US is a pretty big place and it would take you about 16 hours driving time to get from Orlando to NY. If you just want to see NY far better to fly in and then fly out again.

bojorojo Sun 18-Sep-16 14:51:10

I would do it in July as it is pretty hot and humid in August in NY. Definitely separate flights. NY is worth several days but be aware it is an expensive city. Not Orlando prices. Few people would consider a coach from NY to Florida.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now