New York holiday next April - accommodation with kids - areas, apartments

(7 Posts)
Sandgroper Thu 15-Sep-16 16:42:53

Hi

We have just booked to go to New York next April for a week then go on to Orlando for a few weeks.

DH and I have been to NY before pre-kids and stayed in a lovely B&B inn type place that had 3 self contained apartments near Lexington and 5th Avenue. Problem was its quite expensive (though we loved the area and Central Park was at the bottom of the street) and lots of antique furniture and no Wifi (a must for DH). We then stayed at the Mandarin Oriental for a few days as a treat.

My dilemma is I want to stay in a 2 bed apartment in a good neighbourhood, close to metro, few cafes etc nearby with WiFi and kid friendly but not sure where is the best place to stay. Friend suggested anywhere near Central Park is good but I am so confused.

We have stayed in Airbnb apartments/houses in Europe with great succes, only so not sure about NY and thought there was some issue with sub-letting or something like that.

Can anyone help me out?

Also is it still likely to be cold at that time of the year?

Thanks

AttilaTheMeerkat Thu 15-Sep-16 17:44:00

April should be nice in terms of weather.

You will need to stay in a hotel; practically all NYC apartment rentals under 30 days are illegal and many are sublet illegally by the tenant under the terms of their lease. Sites like you mention also do not check the veracity of such listings so these need to be avoided anyway.

There are suite based hotel chains and aparthotels in NYC (chains like the Embassy Suites, Doubletree suites by Hilton, Homewood Suites) . These all do suite based rooms and something like that would be worth considering.

I would look at staying in Manhattan rather than one of the outer boroughs as it saves on travel time.

Sandgroper Fri 16-Sep-16 15:59:29

Hi Attila (great name)

Many thanks for clearing that up for me. I knew there was some sort of issue. Don't want to do anything dodgy.

Thanks also for the suggestions of suite hotels or aparthotels this might be a happy compromise. I am sure we will eat out a lot anyway so many great food places, looking forward to trying to them all. DH travels a lot for work and stays in hotels so hates them on holiday and prefers s/catering.

We stayed in Manhatten before (East 62nd Street) and loved that neighbourhood, lots of great places to eat out and we could walk everywhere. Glad you confirmed it and agree about the travel bit.

Thanks

randomthoughts Fri 16-Sep-16 17:51:57

We stayed at the hotel beacon. It was fantastic, great location and really spacious (huge cupboard to store the cases we didn't unpack), laundry room, supermarket across the street. We just stayed in a 1 bed and the kids had the sofa bed in the lounge. I think they have 2 bed apartments too. We had a really high floor and the view over Central Park was fantastic.

m0therofdragons Fri 16-Sep-16 17:58:47

We've been told about The Roger Smith hotel on Lexington avenue that has 2 bed suits.

Sandgroper Sat 17-Sep-16 08:15:55

Hi

Thanks for the replies.

Randon thoughts that place looks great will check it out.

Motherofdragons wow that is an amazing place but I think I would prefer to go there to enjoy it without the kids! loving the penthouse suite.....

ihatethecold Sat 17-Sep-16 11:20:14

following this thread for ideas

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now