Best time to visit New York if you're restricted to school holidays?

(25 Posts)
Cloudybutwarm Fri 02-Sep-16 19:34:27

Any advice?

StMary Fri 02-Sep-16 19:34:50

I'd say Easter or may half term.

ihatethecold Fri 02-Sep-16 19:40:31

Or October half term.
Summer is very hot and expensive

SwedishEdith Fri 02-Sep-16 19:42:36

October half-term was perfect but I think the Spring ones would work as well.

Cloudybutwarm Fri 02-Sep-16 19:58:45

Thanks all. What was the weathe like in the spring? Looks like ny remains very cold until April/may?

PatriciaHolm Fri 02-Sep-16 22:13:49

We had beautiful weather in October half term.

mouldycheesefan Sat 03-Sep-16 15:29:00

We went may half term. It was hot and sunny. 32 degrees on the last day which was a bit too hot!

Cloudybutwarm Sat 03-Sep-16 19:44:50

I think it may be May for us!
Heat is good, I like heat smile

Noofly Sun 04-Sep-16 19:07:29

I'd do May over Easter. We went just after Easter this year and it was bitterly cold. Just outside NYC had snow and we got the icy cold wind. It had been in the 20s a few days before- Spring is very unpredictable!

Pinkpeanut27 Tue 06-Sep-16 14:03:43

I have 2 boys who declare it too hot if it goes over 20 degrees however we spent 2 weeks in New York this august and they had a ball.It depends what you want to do . We saw all the sights but didn't spend hours walking about . There are loads of places that have air con so you can cool down whenever you need.it was between 30 and 35 degrees.
I didn't think it was that busy either apart from Times Square.
It was better for us to have a longer time in New York than to go at half term we had 12 days and were able to do things without busting a gut.

bigTillyMint Wed 07-Sep-16 11:24:56

October half-term - we had beautiful weather.

thelittlebooktroll Sun 11-Sep-16 09:06:02

Pinkpeanut, that is interesting that you all coped so well in the New York heat. I am thinking of taking my family to New York next August but I am terrified that the heat will ruin out experience.

ineedamoreadultieradult Sun 11-Sep-16 09:07:50

Christmas/New Year is fab.

October half term if your kids enjoy Halloween

Graceflorrick Sun 11-Sep-16 09:09:01

Christmas is magical, but freezing!

NickiFury Sun 11-Sep-16 09:09:39

New York is funny for weather sometimes, I have always gone in April/May and some days it's sweltering then the next day raining and chilly. I think Easter holidays probably a good time to go.

Pinkpeanut27 Sun 11-Sep-16 10:03:14

It only prevented us from doing lots and lots of walking . We walked pretty much everywhere but took lots of stops in shops and Starbucks! Everywhere is airconditioned even the subways and there are plenty of airconditioned public spaces . Even Central Park wasn't too bad .
We didn't rush and took our time sometimes breaking at 2 pm for a rest before going back out in the evenings .
I love New York so may be biased but my boys seriously hate the heat !

Puzzledmum Fri 16-Sep-16 09:42:07

I'd say May will be best. We went for Easter last year and was absolutely freezing.

ihatethecold Fri 16-Sep-16 21:18:07

Watching the recent series on bbc2 about New York really makes me want to go back.
I'd love to take my teenage DD.
If we went in oct 2017 for half term for 4 days would any of you suggest going to New England after for the scenery for 3 or 4 days ?
I've always wanted to be a leaf peeper. grin

We went in May 2015 and it was nearly 85F. Dd2 passed out on the ferry to Ellis Island as it was so hot. Do October instead.

Hassled Fri 16-Sep-16 21:49:54

October half term. Halloweeney, crisp and cold but not freezing. Lovely Autumn leaves in Central Park.

DoinItFine Fri 16-Sep-16 21:54:32

October half term without a doubt.

New York is magical in autumn.

Bonus if you can be there for Hallowe'en and go to the parade.

KickAssAngel Fri 16-Sep-16 22:03:24

October half term weather should be OK, and US schools don't get a break so not quite so crowded.

Spring - weather very variable, could be snow or sun or both. Almost every school district in the US will have a break.

May - much more likely to be good weather, but not guaranteed. Some school districts and all colleges will have finished for the summer so the start of summer tourism.

harridan50 Fri 16-Sep-16 22:05:07

October. Cooler, central park beautiful.

Mrscog Fri 23-Sep-16 06:19:21

We went in May and had 5 days of mist and drizzle! Thank god we were flying on to San Diego!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now