Beware of charlatans!

(2 Posts)
Ballysbabe Wed 31-Aug-16 19:52:21

So we are going on a big holiday tomorrow! And as we are going to Canada we were informed that we will need to apply for a travellers visa. It's a similar thing to the one needed to enter America. So I took it upon myself to do the applications for the three of us travelling DS and DH it was a simple process just go online and fill out a few details- passport, address etc and then for the payment I filled in the lot So here's the thing the website I used was a bogus one and it charged me 10 times the amount so £45 instead of £4.50 yep that's right I fell for it I am usually very very suspicious about everything but not on this day Anyway I realised what I had done and went to the real Canadian immigration site to fill in DS and DHs details without any drama and was duly sent confirmation of their visas soon after I received an email from bogus site with a visa number very similar to the others so I thought to myself I had payed over the odds but still had the same result. It doesn't end here ! This morning I thought to myself I will just go and check if I actually have a visa and low and behold fucking no i haven't ! Grrrr !
Had to reapply online and luckily it came through within a couple of hours! Lesson learnt always read the small print and check and double check that the site you are on is the real deal. Sorry for going on just needed to vent.

AttilaTheMeerkat Wed 31-Aug-16 21:07:47

A lot of people have been fooled by such visa sites who overcharge. Also it does not help that the official Canadian site is not the first site mentioned on the Google webpages.

The official website of Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) is www.cic.gc.ca. Use no other for Canadian ETAs.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now