2 centre holiday . San Fransisco and where ?

(25 Posts)
Pinkpeanut27 Tue 30-Aug-16 22:40:08

Just back from a 2 centre holiday - Miami and New York , it was perfect and we loved it . Looking at something similar next year. Main thing is we don't want to drive. San Fran is my first choice but other 2 centre holidays could work , DH wants to go to Canada. I don't know enough about USA to know where to start.

PoptartPoptart Tue 30-Aug-16 23:18:19

San Fran & Vegas or San Fran & LA

Justwondering79 Tue 30-Aug-16 23:22:14

We did New York, San Fran and Chicago! It was ace!

SorrelForbes Tue 30-Aug-16 23:22:58

San Fran and Hawaii (if you can stomach a 4 hr flight!)

StepAwayFromTheThesaurus Tue 30-Aug-16 23:27:46

San Fran and Portland. Drive between the two.

San Francisco and Vancouver may be worth considering.

(its more like a 6 hour flight to the Hawaiian Islands from SF)

ThroughThickAndThin01 Wed 31-Aug-16 07:37:28

We did San Fran, Los Angeles and Las Vegas.

MrsBungle Wed 31-Aug-16 07:39:20

I did San Francisco, LA and a weekend in Vegas in between which was great.

gonegrey56 Wed 31-Aug-16 07:39:47

Drive from San Francisco to Seattle (with a detour to Crater Lake in Oregon), a magical trip for you.

gonegrey56 Wed 31-Aug-16 07:41:19

Err, sorry, missed the non driving bit! Still worth considering. Or fly from San Francisco to Vancouver?

Rainbowqueeen Wed 31-Aug-16 07:46:18

I'd do San Fran and Vancouver. You could also take the ferry to Vancouver island

RusholmeRuffian Wed 31-Aug-16 09:21:44

San Fran and any one of Chicago, Vegas, Austin, Boston

Pinkpeanut27 Wed 31-Aug-16 09:34:23

Thanks so good ideas there will check them out

LizzieMacQueen Wed 31-Aug-16 09:35:23

San Diego is very nice. SF then fly to San Diego.

SnakeWitch Wed 31-Aug-16 09:37:48

My only abroad trip ever was Vancouver then a flight to San Francisco. Brilliant! We dream of the day we can go back to Vancouver.

NattyGolfJerkin Wed 31-Aug-16 09:56:54

Have done

SF, Chicago, NY - amazing

SF, Monterey, Vegas, NY - also fab

Monterey would be no good as it is a drive from SF. Chicago or NY would break the flight home down into smaller chunks (assuming you live in the UK?), which makes it much easier with kids. Both cities have tonnes to see and do and are well worth a visit or two.

Chicago has lots to offer in that it is compact enough to walk around, loads of public art (sculpture etc), museums & galleries, zoo, parks, shopping, gorgeous architecture, REALLY clean, surprisingly green for a city (floral displays/planters on the sidewalk everywhere). It is on the banks of Lake Michigan so there are public beaches (like Barcelona, the cityscape comes right up to the beach). The people are warm and friendly - more so than New Yorkers (though I love the very British standoffish ness of New Yorkers).

Aftershock15 Wed 31-Aug-16 11:45:51

San Fran and Denver and get the train between the two. Anywhere linked by train is easy. Love traveling by Amtrack.

idontlikealdi Wed 31-Aug-16 11:50:09

Hawai. Best holiday I've ever had although we did Vegas - Hawaii - San Fran.

Would also really recommend Denver.

InformalRoman Wed 31-Aug-16 14:35:44

San Fran and San Diego.

Shame you don't want to drive - otherwise I'd add to gonegrey's itinary - Drive from San Francisco to Seattle (with a detour to Lassen Volcanic Park and Crater Lake in Oregon), a magical trip for you.

JWIM Sat 03-Sep-16 22:20:41

Another vote for Chicago. Also think you may be able to do it by train from SF so the journey is part of the holiday.

Lots to do in Chicago. Easy to walk and use public transport to get around. Renovation along the river is fab. The Architecture boat tour is a must.

DixieWishbone Sat 03-Sep-16 22:31:00

I also vote Chicago. There is plenty to do downtown that is walking distance and there are trains or buses to get a bit further out, such as to the Science Center.

Vegas is also fun, but you'd probably have had enough of it after a couple of days.

New Orleans would also be good for a four days or so. You can rent in the Garden District and take the streetcar into the French Quarter. The weather is just God awful in the Summer though due to heat and humidity. There are buses in the Quarter that take people out to places like the Honey Island Swamp Tour.

Lovewhereilive Thu 08-Sep-16 10:16:53

Chicago is great! We loved it there. And San Fran.

What about San Diego?

ApplesinmyPocket Mon 12-Sep-16 23:49:27

We've just done Boston - San Francisco (with a three-hour stop in Chicago) by Amtrak - Lake Shore Unlimited then the California Zephyr, which travels through the most amazing scenery (Rockies, Colorado canyon, Sierra Nevada).

We flew London to Boston and had a night in a nice hotel - and one night in a good hotel in SF - ideally I'd have liked longer in both places, especially SF - the train was relatively cheap ($232 each for the whole journey) though we travelled in Coach Class - most people recommend a Sleeper or Roomette, but we managed ok in the reclining seats and most of the day you spend in the Observation Lounge, cafe car or dining car rather than your seats.

Washing facilities in Coach were... basic, so those two hotel nights were really needed.

We flew back from SF having had a wonderful time, best holiday of my life. Boston is lovely and the flight there is relatively short from Heathrow, but there are lots of other choices linked by Amtrak to SF.

dingalong Fri 16-Sep-16 13:49:53

What about Vancouver and Seattle and travelling between them on this

www.rockymountaineer.com/en/

My friend did it and said it was amazing. The food was great and they sat in the glass desks admiring the view.

dingalong Fri 16-Sep-16 13:51:29

I see apples had a similar idea 😄

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now