Hawaii

(21 Posts)
PinkDucks Tue 30-Aug-16 19:34:34

Me and DP would love to go to hawaii. Has anyone been? Got any recommendations? Approx costs? We are thinking of maybe doing a multicentre and doing a few days in America either side. We are looking at going next year so have plenty of time to save.

SparklesandBangs Tue 30-Aug-16 19:40:20

How long will you have in total (days) where have you been before and what type of holiday do you like. Oh and which month are you thinking of

I've been 6 times and happy to give advice

PinkDucks Tue 30-Aug-16 20:19:38

Hi, we were thinking of anywhere between 10-16 days. We would like at least 5 days (preferably 7) in hawaii. We were thinking of doing maybe 4-5 days before Hawaii on the west coast (maybe vegas although we have been there before so could consider somewhere else) and then another 3-4 days on the east cost (new york probably) on the way back. We're thinking late September next year.

Would love any advice. I'm very envious you've been 6 times! It looks beautiful.

PinkDucks Tue 30-Aug-16 20:21:39

Sorry missed the bit about where have we been before. We're pretty well travelled to be fair (have been very lucky in that sense). We do love a relaxing beach holiday but also enjoy exploring new places and getting out and about which is why we're thinking of combining hawaii with America

pestov Tue 30-Aug-16 20:24:06

We did Hawaii for our honeymoon with Alaska (6 hr direct flight between them). It's beauty you're after, don't waste too much time in Honolulu, the rest of Oahu is so much nicer. Are you Into national parks or more luxurious lazing?

Puppymouse Tue 30-Aug-16 20:26:04

We did Maui as part of our honeymoon. It was wonderful.... We missed whale season which I'd have loved but see pics - view from our hotel room and the sun rising over the crater of the big volcano (don't ask me to spell it!)

Sierra259 Tue 30-Aug-16 20:26:56

We went to Hawaii on honeymoon for 2 weeks. We chose not to stopover on the US west coast as we wanted to maximise our time in Hawaii and thought we'd be more likely to be able to do the west coast in the future t bf an Hawaii again.

We did 5 nights on the Big Island (2 different places), 3 nights on Kuaui and 5 nights on Maui though not sure if you're still allowed to talk about Maui on MN! wink How long you're in each place will depend what kind of holiday you want? Happy to answer any questions I can.

perrita Tue 30-Aug-16 20:31:47

DH and I are going in December, cost just short of £6k for 11 nights including 3 in San Fransisco, 3 on Big Island and 5 on Oahu. I'm so excited!

PinkDucks Tue 30-Aug-16 20:40:04

Thanks for the replies. We are also planning this as our honeymoon! Didn't say that initially as don't want to out myself as most of my friends/family know what our plans are.

We like national parks and luxurious lazing! (Probably more lazing to be honest but we'd like the option to do both). Does it cost much to travel between the islands? If its worth spending more time in hawaii then we would consider cutting down/scrapping the time we had planned in America.

Those pictures look beautiful! Hawaii is always somewhere we've dreamed of going so we said what better occasion! Looks like it will live up to our expectations.

Sierra259 Tue 30-Aug-16 21:23:27

I could easily have spent at least 2 weeks on each island, and we didn't even stay on Oahu (the locals are rather scathing about it but again, it depends if you want more nightlife and a city break vibe I guess?). Not sure of the cost of flights between islands, but think it's fairly reasonable.

The Volcanic National Park on Big Island is a must. We did a helicopter flight over the volcano and coast which was amazing. We stayed in a little town nearby called Volcano smile We spent the rest of the time on the west coast (Kona?) which has lovely beaches, and a traditional fishing village national park. Was a bit of a drive though! The one thing I wish we had done was visit the observatory on Mauna Kea.

Kuaui was more rural and quiet though there is a canyon national park. There's an overnight hike you can do on the north Napali coast) or the "Jurassic Park" helicopter ride.

Maui is a little bit more urban with great beaches. There's a famous waterfall drive but we didn't get a chance to do it. We did go up a mountain for the sunrise though. Spent most of our time here relaxing!

AttilaTheMeerkat Tue 30-Aug-16 22:22:49

"Does it cost much to travel between the islands"

It can cost quite a lot because there is now only one Interisland carrier operating which is Hawaiian Airlines. The other thing to consider here is that flights on HA cannot be booked by UK customers using their website; you have to use their sole UK agent.

I would be looking at the Big Island (Hawaii) and/or Maui in your particular circumstances. Maui is popular with honeymooners. Direct flights to Kailua-Kona on the Big Island (do try some Big Island candies!) and Kahului on Maui usually run daily from cities like San Francisco or Los Angeles. You would need to travel via a West Coast city though both ways. It can take just under 6 hours to reach the Islands from the US mainland.

I would consider using a carrier like American to fly you to the Islands from the US mainland.

Canyouforgiveher Tue 30-Aug-16 22:49:06

We went a couple of years ago (we are in the US) and it was one of the most beautiful places I have ever been. Nearly everywhere else I have been in Europe or US or Asia or Middle East I always thought "still the west coast of Ireland is more beautiful" until I got to Maui. The volcanic mountains and the beaches etc are just unbelieveably beautiful.

We did Maui and the big island. I adored Maui - thought it was one of the most beautiful places I have ever been. Loved the warm seas, the mountains, the road to hana, the waterfalls, the history, the surf lessons --the laidback surfer dudes were the nicest people ever to my extremely anxious daughter - the intimidating ocean (couldn't live there I think). The big island wasn't as beautiful to me but the active volcano was one of the most amazing things I have seen in my life. People say Kauai is also stunning.

I really want to go back.

SparklesandBangs Wed 31-Aug-16 07:30:43

In our trips we have done the 4 main islands but never more than 2 per trip.

Flights from London generally via LA or San Francisco so if you would like to visit either of these you can on the way out or back. Flight costs average out at £1000 in economy during the year. Leaving London in the morning with 12 hours to California then around a 2 hour layover then another 5 hours to Hawaii you arrive that evening, but be aware this does mean you are driving tired. If you stop on the way out you can get a morning flight to Hawaii and arrive for lunch.

My favourite island is the Big Island, for the dramatic volcanic scenery, active volcano, laid back style, fantastic beaches and lack of people. But some people hate it. To explore this island you need a minimum of a week it is called big for a reason and I would recommend staying in the Waikoloa area. Many people opt for a night on the other side of the island as the drive to the volacano area is long, we have never bothered but DH likes driving and is very experience in driving in the US. This is the island for exploring.

Oahu is the busy, built up party island again IMO I would spend less than a week here, to experience Waikiki beach, go to Pearl Harbour and the malls. It has a completely different feel to big island and they make a very good combination. Or possibly my favourite which is Oahu 4 days, Big Island 7 days, San Francisco 3 days.

Kauai is beautiful and green with good beaches and chickens but I have been once as I much prefer BIg Island. It is more built up and doesn't have the dramatic new volcanic landscape.

Maui is the resort island, and as PP have said it is the perfect honeymoon island, it is a good balance between Oahu and Big Island with good beaches and scenery but a more vibrant yet still laid back style. This is my go to island for a week or so of Rest and Relaxation.

On all the islands there is plenty to do, snorkelling, paddle boarding, trips to volacanoes, coffee farms, movie sight seeing trips, helicopter rides.

My final piece of advice would be not to try to do it all in 2 weeks as you will feel you have been cheated as each time you start to get to know an island it's time to leave.

PinkDucks Wed 31-Aug-16 23:47:27

Thanks for the tips, its really help. Sounds like Maui and the big island are a must then. And we ideally need 2 weeks just on the islands. We've already been to San Fran so maybe we could consider another part of California, il have a look into that.

Any other tips/advise appreciated smile

PinkDucks Wed 31-Aug-16 23:48:11

Who have you all booked with?

specialsubject Thu 01-Sep-16 12:37:55

Be aware of the length of the flight and the time change.

Fly to honolulu, 3 days waikiki: diamond head, waterfalls inland, pearl harbour. Then to hilo on the big island for volcanoes, wai o tapu, observatories etc. This is the wetter side of the island but still warm.

Book rental car well in advance.

Sierra259 Thu 01-Sep-16 12:51:53

We booked with a lovely lady who works for Travel Counsellors. I can dig out her name and pm you if you like? She made some suggestions but basically researched flights/hotels for us based on what we said we'd like, and then we chose. She was so helpful and nothing was too much trouble for her. Only fault I could find was with the airline, United. They were pretty shit.

Sierra259 Thu 01-Sep-16 12:53:46

Oh, she also sorted rental cars for us.

idontlikealdi Thu 01-Sep-16 12:58:48

We did 21 nights, Vegas - Maui - San Fran. Maui was amazing. Whales, dolphins, turtles, incredible beaches. We were in Wailea high is lovely and quiet but near enough to busier places to.

One thing though - we left Maui at something at like 11pm and arrived at SF at 430 am. We didn't book a hotel room for that night and really really should have as we couldn't get into our room until 2pm and the hotel was otherwise full.

I booked through an independent operator, can't remember who now but never ever mentioned honeymoon as I'm sure it pushes the prices up!

SparklesandBangs Thu 01-Sep-16 20:02:20

I book eveything myself directly

Flights usually through United - but do check with Skyscanner or Kayak to see what's out there. California and Oahu I'd want hotels and would use booking.com for Big Island or Maui we go for a house/condo I usually book through VRBO.com direct with the owners or their agents.

Favourite places to book
Big Island - Waikoloa - Colony Villas or Halii Kai
Maui - Honua Kai

PinkDucks Fri 02-Sep-16 19:37:41

If you could sierra that would be really helpful! Thanks so much for everyone's advice/suggestions its given us lots to think about!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now