New york city pass

(6 Posts)
theredjellybean Tue 30-Aug-16 15:05:54

Hi...another nyc thread...i have read loads of people recommending a city pass but a few dissenters saying you have to queue or even take your pass somewhere else to get it validated or swap it for tickets for certain attractions. Is this true ? is it actually better to book the fast pass tickets for things like ESB ?

I am going with dd1 in october for 5 days

Pinkpeanut27 Tue 30-Aug-16 22:30:22

This is interesting I did a bit of research on this and found it pretty expensive so we didn't get one .
We booked our Statue of Liberty tickets online ans had no problems with queuing , we went to the Met where entry was pay what you like although they strongly recommended $25 per person over 12 . We paid for 2 adults but not the 13 yr olds !
We got a freebie from a friend for the natural history museum then went to the Empire State building before 9am and there were no queues - lots when we came out though.
I'm not sure what else is covered but we didn't do lots of museums so I don't think it would have worked out cheaper but I could be wrong.

2 points book Statue of Liberty as soon as possible if you want to go up it at all and if you do go to the Met make sure you go up to the roof it's amazing.

SwedishEdith Tue 30-Aug-16 22:41:19

We considered one but didn't find it worthwhile for where we thought we'd go. Knew we'd do Staten Island Ferry rather than actually go to S of Liberty, didn't pay for Met at all, time difference meant we were up at 6.00 first morning so were first in (non) queue for ESB etc. So check against what you'll actually get round to doing - lots is free.

Haffdonga Tue 30-Aug-16 22:58:23

This site is really useful to compare the 3 different types of pass and find the right one (or none) for you. www.passcomparison.com/newyork/new-york-pass-comparison

We got the New York Pass and definitely got our money's worth and more because we packed in all the sites and bus rides etc. There were still queues for everything, apart from anything else because you have to go through airline style security checks at every site. But the pass queues were usually shorter.

Have a great time.

randomthoughts Wed 31-Aug-16 22:13:11

We went to the ESB with our pass (can't remember which one it was) on the first morning at opening time. We were up early because of the jetlag so it would raked perfectly.

theredjellybean Fri 02-Sep-16 11:47:30

thanks everyone

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now