Is 17 and 15 too old for the Orlando disney parks?

(22 Posts)
georgeclooneyfan Mon 29-Aug-16 09:15:33

We are heading to Orlando in October 2016, we are still undecided on booking the tickets for the parks and time is running out. We are staying in a villa and last time we were there was 2010. My kids are now dd(17), ds (15) both aren't rollercoaster mad, my dd says she won't go on any, dh and I are the same. Most people I have spoke to or read about on forums say that Universal is better for teenagers. The tickets seem really expensive these days. We were looking at the Disney/Universal combo, they said they would go on Soaring, Kali river rapids, expedition everest (my ds only!)and the water parks. Not sure if MK is too babyish now, they already think its uncool walking about with their parents as it is. We also looked at the Fab 5 type ticket no disney, but Universal, Sea world, Aquatica etc.The likes of Busch gardens and Sea World have some scary looking coasters so I am wondering if there are any other in between type rides at these parks or if they are purely thrill rides.My dd would spend all her time shopping if she got the chance.We were hoping to do a day trip to beach and Kennedy space centre too.Thanks in advance.

YoScience Mon 29-Aug-16 09:24:38

I was in Orlando this summer, just dd (15 ) and I. Neither of us are roller coaster mad. We went to all the Disney parks, both Universal parks, wet n wild, Seaworld and Aquatica. We had a really great time. Most of the rides in Seaworld are big coasters, I think we only went on one or 2 rides there, but watched the shows. I believe Bush Gardens is the same. Apart from that, there was loads we could go on in every park.

We also did a fair bit of shopping in the malls and outlets (mainly in the evenings)

MyBreadIsEggy Mon 29-Aug-16 09:33:19

No one is ever too old for Disney grin

LottieL Mon 29-Aug-16 09:38:39

My fiancé and I went with his family (mum and dad, sister and her partner). We had an amazing time, and did all the parks.

ijustwannadance Mon 29-Aug-16 09:39:43

I went at 28! I preferered Universal tbh but then I love coasters so went on all the big rides in all the parks. Would love to go now for the Harry Potter stuff.

Busch Gardens is at least an hour away from everything else. Again, great coasters and the usual smaller rides and rapids etc.
Look online at the park maps to see what is there.

PotteringAlong Mon 29-Aug-16 09:41:32

I wouldn't bother then and just explore the rest that Florida has to offer

TheTittifersHaveSungTheirSong Mon 29-Aug-16 10:08:59

I agree, never too old for Disney. Universal is great but probably more so if you like the bigger rides so doesn't sound worth it for your family. I also wouldn't bother with Busch Gardens for the same reason.
All the Disney parks are amazing, there's loads to see and do even with teenagers-don't forget the Disney water parks too. MK is the original and yes there are more family friendly rides, but there are also great older rides too, Splash Mountain etc and you can't not go there...
Kennedy space centre is a fab day out, make sure your camera/phone is charged!

Oh I want to go back to Disney!!!

TobleroneBoo Mon 29-Aug-16 10:11:05

My DP, DB and SIL are going next year, just us.

Youngest is 25 grin

Willow2016 Mon 29-Aug-16 11:42:34

Both parks have big rides and smaller ones. We didnt do any of the huge ones (11yr old and 14yr old and I just dont do them!) but they went on some I couldnt do due to neck problems (but they did say afterwards that they werent actually very jerky at all [sad}) Transformers was amazing, and despite hating the simpsons it was a funny ride. They also loved Men in Black.

Epcot Future World has great stuff for kids (mission to mars is amazing and you dont actually move much just feels like it) and lots of interesting things to do/see for all ages. (We loved the colour rooms and the hurricane survival smile)

The shrek and Despicable me ones are great fun, go for the moving chairs as they dont move much really it just adds to the other stuff they throw at you!

At Harry Potter world We did the Gringots ride which was really amazing but not the other Harry Potter one cos thats a proper rollercoaster. But exploring Diagon alley and Hogsmead was just a lovely experience, its so 'real'.

Meeting a raptor at Jurrasic World - well who wouldnt want to do that smile I was like a big kid! So wanted to do the 'safari' but didnt have time. You really have to go down to the 'splash zone' outside the cafe to watch (or join in, its very refreshing!) the kids getting soaked as the safari bus goes by.

I think your kids will love it whatever their ages. Just walking around everything is an experience in itself. i.e transformers, movie cars, trains, blues brothers singing, street artists, Indy Jones 'film experience', star wars enactments, its endless!

Wet and wild has things for all ages as well as the wave pool.

We also went to gator land, great experience learning about gators and other animals getting to hold them as well, and the wrangling and the 'jumping' shows were informative and fun.

Go, go, go its worth it!!! Check out the prices on ticket sites as often cheaper than the actual parks. If you are staying 2 weeks get the 2 week pass as it was cheaper than just going odd days and paying at gate. We went as often as we wanted to.

TwentyCups Mon 29-Aug-16 11:51:23

Don't go to sea world it really is a terrible place.

I have a friend who recently went to Florida with her teenage sister, apparently universal is a much better day out with teens and adults. They could afford to do Disney too, so did, but if you can only afford one I think universal offers more from what I have heard smile

TheForeignOffice Mon 29-Aug-16 11:55:03

I've been 8 (orlando)
24 (LA)
27 (orlando again)

All fantastic. Thinking of going back ASAP.

CiderwithBuda Mon 29-Aug-16 12:04:04

We went this summer and DS is 15. It was his third visit and he decided he is beyond Disney now. There were about 3 or 4 rides in each park that he was interested in.

We love Soaring and there were a couple of others in Epcot he did.

He definitely preferred Universal. We stayed at the Royal Pacifc for a couple of nights to get in early. Def worth it for th Harry Potter rides.

Willow2016 - the other Harry Potter ride isn't a roller coaster. It says it is though. DH and DS went on and did it and came back to find me and told me it wasn't a roller coaster so I did it and it was fine. Really enjoyed it.

Kennedy Space Centre is great - the new Atlantis but is really well done.

We also went to Daytona and were there on a Richard Petty Driving Experience day - you get to go around the race track in a race car with a driver. It was def DS's favourite day. It's not cheap though - $180 I think. We hadn't booked - just happens to turn up on the right day but you can book in advance.

Willow2016 Mon 29-Aug-16 12:28:00

Flight of the Hippogryph is billed as a rollercoaster though. All those signs! And when I asked at the end of the queue they said it was a proper rollercoaster. Wasnt happy to find out that it wasnt a really big one or we would have went on it.

We didnt have time to do the forbidden journey as the queues were too long and we had a bus to catch lol. Really wanted to do it though. (Loved the Gringots one.)Think we went into the wrong queue! Would def do it if we ever went back.

Sugarcoma Mon 29-Aug-16 12:32:07

I'm a huge Disney fan and hubby and I go almost every year to one of the parks (went to Orlando last year) but teenagers are a tricky age where they're trying to be cool and may not want to do what they perceive to be 'babyish' stuff (whereas I will happily go on the Dumbo ride for example since I DGAF).

In which case you'd be better off with just Universal - there's loads to do there, two parks, lots of cool new areas (especially Harry Potter and Simpsons) and it's just got a slightly older feel to it than Disney.

Sugarcoma Mon 29-Aug-16 12:32:28

*DNGAF

2014newme Mon 29-Aug-16 12:32:35

So much to do in florida if your kids won't enjoy the theme parks do a non theme park holiday

Oblomov16 Mon 29-Aug-16 12:40:39

I have the opposite problem. Taking ds's, who are a bit younger, but I (and they) am not really interested in Disney: Mickey Mouse and Pluto- no thanks.
I just want the scariest rides and water parks.
And shopping. Not really interested in sea life etc. Struggling to work out where to go.

Tfoot75 Mon 29-Aug-16 12:42:22

Most of the rides at universal are experience type rides (3D/4d/virtual reality type things) there are very few actual roller coasters, so it depends what you actually don't like about them. There aren't many that go upside down for instance but a lot that throw you about a bit! It is excellent though and fully recommend for that age group, the water rides in particular are excellent, and there are a fair few walk through things that aren't rides at all. If you're worried most rides have YouTube videos so you can watch the ride and decide if there are enough you'd like. It's also far cheaper for 2 week passes than Disney.

blue2014 Mon 29-Aug-16 12:44:28

Definitely not, I would go tomorrow if I could and I'm 37

mummytime Mon 29-Aug-16 12:46:49

My DC are 13, 17 and 20. And would all love to go back to Disney.
Last time we went it was the then9 year old who was the only one at all dubious about it.

georgeclooneyfan Mon 29-Aug-16 21:18:44

Thanks very much everyone for your replies. I really appreciate them. Some really good tips and advice, we are thinking we will go for the disney/universal 14 day combo tickets and just have a few days in between to do things outwith the parks. Getting excited now, will have to do some research on the fast passes for disney parks, it's changed since the last time we were there.smile

TheTittifersHaveSungTheirSong Mon 29-Aug-16 21:41:50

Yey Disney! That's the combo we did as a family when I was younger- best of everything with time to chill in between.
Have a fantastic holiday smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now