Brazil

(9 Posts)
hifi Sun 28-Aug-16 14:00:08

thinking of going next july/august, possibly Rio for a few days, Amazon trip then east coast beach.

marialuisa Sun 28-Aug-16 19:50:11

Drive to Paraty from Rio. Very easy drive with lovely beaches en route and then charming town. The Pousada Literaria is wonderful.

mummymeister Sun 28-Aug-16 22:45:12

keep up to date with the zika advice if relevant and book to get your jabs sooner rather than later.

hifi Thu 01-Sep-16 09:09:52

Thanks. How about safety?

DeliveredByKiki Fri 02-Sep-16 06:08:48

We were going too next year but Brazilian friends (who have otherwise been very enthusiastic about us going) have said put it off until political Situation stabilises

Caipora Fri 02-Sep-16 13:12:18

It's a lot of travelling you are talking about, how long are you planning to go for? Rio to the Amazon region is probably at least a 4 hour flight, perhaps more. Where on the East coast were you thinking? What time of year? If it's winter time you might consider Bahia or northern towns, but if it's summer I would go further south. Small towns are beautiful and what I call the real Brazil. No worries about safety there. In Rio just keep your wits about you as you would in any big city. Don't flash around phones and jewellery.

I have never been to the Amazon, so I know nothing about it. Too many bugs and diseases for my liking. Brazil is a massive country, like the distance from London to Cairo and huge from east and west. I would suggest sticking to one area if you don't have much time. Like do Rio, Petropólis in Rio state, Ouro Preto in Minas and then a small beach town in Rio State , Espirito Santo, Bahia or Santa Catarina.

Don't worry about Zika unless you are trying to concieve. I would be more concerned about Dengue, not overly so but you will be fresh meat for the mozzies. Best to stick to the Southwest or South if you are worried about diseases/mosquitos.

I have not put anyone off due to the political situation. We had guests in July. But it will be better when things are a bit more stable, as recession means we are not as able as usual to do as many things with our guests.

Azure Sat 03-Sep-16 08:54:40

Who are you travelling with? We went last July / August with DCs (9 and 13). Both DH and I had been a few times previously and love the country. As mentioned already, distances are vast and we didn't want to spend most of the 2 weeks travelling. We spent the first 5 days in Rio (hotel on Copacabana beach with swimming pool), then flew to Iguassu for the amazing waterfalls (2 hours flight). We stayed on the Argentinian side for 2 nights then spent a couple of nights in a "rainforest lite" lodge. Back to the Brazilian side of the falls for a night then flight to Sao Paulo. We picked up a hire car and had a long drive to Paraty. Paraty was wonderful - we rented a house overlooking the water for 4 nights via AirBnB and could drive to beautiful beaches nearby. It helped that the weather was amazing (it had been a bit mixed in Rio). Drove back to Rio for the flight home. It was a nice combination of doing things and relaxing.

I have been to Salvador before and would have loved to go back and see more of Bahia, but decided the distance too long given that we definitely wanted to go to Iguassu. Haven't visited the Amazon in Brazil. Another place people go to is the Pantanal for the wildlife.

hifi Mon 05-Sep-16 17:57:28

thanks everyone, thinking of going for 3/4 weeks, kids will be 8 and 13.lots to think about, thanks for the tips.

hifi Mon 05-Sep-16 17:59:04

going in August

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now