Car seat on plane? Emigrating to Australia

(30 Posts)
DeloresDeSyn Tue 23-Aug-16 15:04:28

We are leaving for Australia next month, yay!

DS is just two, we are flying via Singapore with Singapore Airlines (if that's relevant) and I am not sure whether to take the car seat. We have one with an impact shield so I'm not even sure if it would be suitable for the plane, and then we would have to dump it when we get there as it won't be legal to use.

I'm interested to know what you all do? Do you think a car seat is necessary on the plane? Are there any alternatives? Can a two yr old go on your lap during take off etc?

I know I could ring SA for some help, but thought I'd try mumsnet wisdom first so I don't look like a complete flying noob

NickNacks Tue 23-Aug-16 15:08:42

Not necessary and no they can't sit on your lap. He can just sit in his own seat with the lap belt.

dizzyfeck Tue 23-Aug-16 15:14:33

No they get very uncomfortable in car seats and you will not want to lumber that thing around anyway. Why is it not legal to use? If it's of no use when you get there leave it. I always sit them in their seat and would give them a protective arm around them if they are nervous.

Kirriemuir Tue 23-Aug-16 18:52:02

Don't bother. Your car seat won't be legal in Oz anyway.

Kirriemuir Tue 23-Aug-16 18:54:12

Must read properly! You've already said that!

I'd say too restrictive. There is nowhere for it to go so DS would be in it the entire way. At least he can lie flatish for a sleep.

InTheDessert Tue 23-Aug-16 18:57:31

If she has had her second Birthday, she will need to be sat in her own seat for take off and landing.
If you fly the day before her second Birthday, she will need to be on your lap for take iff, landing and turbulance.
Leave the carseat in the UK. If it doesn't meet Australian regulations, it is of no use to you, almost certainly no use on the plane - the seats are small enough as is, and might possibly be useful in the UK if you visit before she out grows it.

Have a fab new life in Aus

InTheDessert Tue 23-Aug-16 18:58:13

Sorry, why have I got in my head you have a daughter. My apologies to your son.

AttilaTheMeerkat Tue 23-Aug-16 19:01:18

I would seriously consider buying your son his own seat if you have not already done this.

The car seat is not needed and it won't likely fit into the aircraft seat anyway. It will be more trouble than it is worth to carry it with you as well through the airport and onto the aircraft.

To be an approved child restraint, a car seat or booster must be labelled with an Australian Standards sticker for the standard AS/NZS 1754. It is one of the most stringent child restraint standards in the world. All car restraints sold in Australia must comply with the standards that cover materials, design, construction, performance, testing and labelling.

Car seats bought overseas will not comply with the Australian standard and it is illegal to use them in Australia.

www.babycenter.com.au/a1033422/car-seat-laws-in-australia#ixzz4IBBf3SA1

Has your son got his own seat?.

KP86 Tue 23-Aug-16 19:06:36

I've taken DS's car seat on the plane before (same flight with Singapore but coming here) and it made a huge difference for me (DS was a bit younger, around 16m), because he couldn't escape and run around the plane. I was travelling solo (lucky DH!) so good to know if I fell asleep he was still safe. He also sleeps very well in his seat so I knew he would be comfy.

Issues: you can't use the tray table for meal time/drawing activities.
Your car seat needs to be able to be secured with the seatbelt, so no isofix-only models.

I must confess I've got no idea what the car seat with impact shield is, but I've brought our Aussie car seat here, and although it's not officially approved by UK standards it's perfectly safe (I would expect because not sold in UK they just never paid to have it assessed) and we've kept using it. Nobody has ever stopped to ask us if it has a UK sticker!

Since I was by myself, we bought a foldable trolley, kind of like a travel dolly-trolley, and used a men's belt and stretchy hooked straps (we call them occy straps in Aus) to ferry the seat/DS around the airport. I was even able to strap DS into the seat and wheel him along. It folded up and went in the overhead locker for the flight.

DeloresDeSyn Tue 23-Aug-16 22:52:46

Wow, sorry, been out for DD birthday!

Yes, we have bought seat on the plane for DS. I had just somehow got the impression that it was frowned upon not to have your toddler in a car seat, it's a relief to hear the consensus is that they are more trouble then they are worth!

Attila do you know if they approve any car seats with impact shields in Australia? I plan to buy a new seat to be delivered to DH work place in advance, so we have it as soon as we arrive. DS is a proficient escapologist though, and the impact shield ones actually manage to contain him. I can't seem to find any for sale in Australia (although I'm not entirely sure where to look). I do have another sad little lonely thread on this if anyone has any wisdom to offer here

KP an impact shield is a padded wedge that slots on the front of the car seat instead of a five point harness. The lap and shoulder belt then goes right around this. DS fights and screams until he gets his arms out of a harness so much that this was the only solution, do you have any ideas what we could do for a seat in Australia?
I think it would fit on the plane, but I don't think it would meet safety standards with just a lap belt.
I have seen those trolleys you mention, they are a great idea, but again won't work with my seat.

Kirrie do you know any Australian car seats good for escapologists?

Thanks Inthe, we are very excited!

Dizzy it's a lot more stringent it seems to me, amongst other things they do more tests from more angles than the EU I think, and they also have a 'tether strap' which fixes the top in place. It all seems pretty good!

nicknacks thank you, I do hope sitting in his own seat will be enough of a novelty to get us through take off at least. I'm hoping for sympathetic seat neighbours <hyperactive alert>

FastWindow Tue 23-Aug-16 22:57:35

Curious to know- I've flown quite a bit both with and without dc and i have never seen a toddler in a car seat on a plane. In 40 years. Is it a new thing? Wouldnt they be all up in the seat in front of them?

DeloresDeSyn Tue 23-Aug-16 23:13:33

I'm not sure Fast, I'm not an experienced flyer so when I knew we were going I started reading about taking toddlers long haul and car seat advice was everywhere- which ones fit, are lighter etc, they even make one that has wheels on the bottom and a handle so you can wheel it through the airport!
I'm glad to hear it is unusual after all.

BertieBotts Tue 23-Aug-16 23:19:31

Australian car seat regs are really fussy and strict about imported car seats, which is a pain as their own regulations are (in some ways) less stringent than either the EU or US ones!

It seems commonplace to use car seats on flights within the US, which is likely where a lot of the info comes from. It does sound better if you can though, more likely to sleep etc but I also know people who have done that flight without, and it's been doable, especially with two adults.

I think I'd be tempted to try and source one which can be used there - I hear that isofix was recently included in their regulations. You can't take a child in a taxi without one in Australia so how would you get from the plane to where you're staying without a car seat?

FastWindow Wed 24-Aug-16 00:31:20

Maybe long haul it's a thing. Tbf almost all of the flying I've done is less than 4 hours. But unless you're in first or in really roomy seats i cant see how they would even fit widthways (or actually offer any protection, given that they'd be so close to the seat in front, the first thing that would happen is they nut the seat in front?)

I've done no research, disclaimer!!

AndNowItsSeven Wed 24-Aug-16 00:42:38

I have a Cybex m fix Pallas for the same reason op, cost a fortune but worth it.

Kirriemuir Wed 24-Aug-16 06:40:20

Hi. I can't remember what we bight when we lived in Oz. I certainly felt our old uk ones were better but that the law. Oz seats are teathered into the boot. There are plenty of baby shops! Good luck.

SummerSazz Wed 24-Aug-16 06:47:43

We used a car seat on a plane for our 2.3 yr old when we went to america on holiday. It helped contain her on the plane and comfy to sleep in (we had front row seats as dd2 was in the pull down sleep cot). It was easier and much cheaper than hiring one from the car hire place which iirc was extortionate.

Cockblocktopus Wed 24-Aug-16 06:48:11

I used my isofix from the UK here as they weren't yet approved for sale and I think the Aus car seat rules are mad. Forward facing legal at 6 months! I would take your car seat and use it here.

KP86 Wed 24-Aug-16 07:01:50

Isofix is available in Australia now but very expensive. Not many cars had isofix points until recently.

When I said that you need to secure with the plane seat belt, I meant the seat itself (ie, putting the lap belt through the seatbelt path to hold it onto the plane seat), not your DC. But it does sound like you need a proper seat belt to actually use your car seat in the first instance so it may not work anyway.

I would still take it with you and use in your new car. As I said before, it won't be checked. And if it is, plead ignorance and buy a new one at the time.

BertieBotts Wed 24-Aug-16 08:12:18

This site might help:

www.pomsinoz.com/

intheBondiBubble Wed 24-Aug-16 08:18:37

Don't bother bringing it, at two they will have their own seat and will enjoy sitting like the other grown ups smile
The seats are not exactly illegal for use over here however any insurance claim would be void if you were to be found using one in the event of an accident.
I bought my isofix maxi cosi here and it's still gathering dust in the garage, just buy new ones when you arrive grin

BertieBotts Wed 24-Aug-16 08:26:27

Your current car seat's manufacturer can tell you if your seat is approved for use on a plane, it might be, I'm not sure.

Looking at cybex and kiddy sites they don't seem to have Australian presence. Looking at big baby shops there, it seems they only do harnessed seats for 2 year olds, and only forward facing. I guess you'll have to hope that he's outgrown the tendency, or distract him! Looks like they recommend the use of houdini stop (which isn't approved here) if you have a persistent escapist. The product 5 point plus might also be legal as it doesn't affect the use of the straps themselves.

DeloresDeSyn Wed 24-Aug-16 12:02:01

Andnow are you in Australia?

Bertie We have booked a taxi and requested a car seat. I hadn't heard of 5 point plus! That might work! Is that legal there do you know? I had heard of Houdini strap, but again wasn't sure if it was legal.
I think even isofix still needs a tether strap? and I have tried and tried to find one here that I could use there (ideal solution I guess if I did want one on the plane), but failed so far.

I guess I could use my existing one, others who live there have said that too, but I am dreadful at breaking rules, I get hives if I park slightly illegally!

Thanks all, really helpful to hear your experiences and opinions

BertieBotts Wed 24-Aug-16 16:11:42

Yes I think they all need tethers.

5 point plus doesn't interfere with anything so I doubt it could be illegal. You could contact them and ask though. It doesn't seem to be sold there.

Houdini strap is not legal in EU but it seems to be recommended on a couple of AUS sites.

One of the sites said police are likely to look at your car seat when they hear you're English, so one which is completely different like the Kiddy, I don't think it would work.

AndNowItsSeven Wed 24-Aug-16 16:30:04

Sorry no not in Australia Delores, just sympathising with the need for a no harness seat. My sister lives in Australia though and has never seen a impact shield seat.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now