japan?

(18 Posts)
DeliveredByKiki Sat 20-Aug-16 17:23:56

about to book tickets for a 3 week trip to Japan next summer

probably going to do 4-5 night each in Tokyo and Kyoto and that leaves us about 10 days travelling - want to stay in temples on Koya-San, I'd quite like to get up to Hokkaido or North Honshu as there are some incredible festivals up there when we're there...but also want to see the traditional diving women in Kansai THERE'S JUST TOO MUCH TO DO AND SEE!!!

Anyone been with children? Ours will be 5 & 8

Lucydogz Mon 22-Aug-16 21:33:59

We're going next month - apparently Summer is unpleasantly humid.

DeliveredByKiki Tue 23-Aug-16 02:43:18

So I e heard but we don't have any choice in the matter - it's winter when it's incredibly cold or summer when it's hot and humid. So we're sticking to mainly the north!

ShanghaiDiva Tue 23-Aug-16 02:55:30

I have been several times with my children. They loved Disney Sea and Disney park in Tokyo. There are some Disney partner hotels which are not in the park, but close by and have free shuttles to Disney.
Kyoto is great - load of temples and we took the train to Nara where there are deer roaming the park - dd loved this and it's an easy day trip from Kyoto. The tourist info office was very helpful there and everything is in walking distance of the train station. We stayed in a traditional house in Kyoto (machiya) which we rented through flip key which is part of the trip advisor website.
It is very hot and humid in the summer (I also live somewhere horribly humid) but you do get used to it.

DeliveredByKiki Tue 23-Aug-16 03:42:49

Thanks ShanghiaDiva we live in LA so only Disney we'd do might be disneysea but studio Ghibli is in the top of the list

Do you have any specific recommendations for accommodation at all?

Ghibli Museum is closed on Tuesdays. You can easily catch a train on the JR Chuo line to Mitaka then you take the Loop bus to the museum.

Tickets have to be purchased in advance; they do not sell them at the museum.

www.ghibli-museum.jp/en/ticket-information/

Do consider visiting both Disney Parks; both are very different to what you have seen already in LA and some of the rides there are unique.

DeliveredByKiki Tue 23-Aug-16 16:07:13

It's more the cost than anything Attila, with accommodation alone setting us back and wanting to get as much out of the 3 weeks as poss (knowing we have to take it slowly with DC being relatively small)

But I'll look into it again - I iust get so annoyed not being able to go on the best rides so never feel like I get my monies worth!

ShanghaiDiva Wed 24-Aug-16 02:14:45

Hotels - for Disney sea
www.japanican.com/en/hotel/detail/4484004/

Kyoto - stayed in this house
www.facebook.com/Awa-Machiya-187434421454252/

Statelychangers Fri 26-Aug-16 07:36:28

We're interested in Japan but I'm worried that it's really expensive - is it London expensive or worse?

BigGreenOlives Fri 26-Aug-16 07:42:39

From recollection (2011) it was about the same - we really enjoyed our trip. We also went to the hot springs at Gora where there is an amazing sculpture park

TheForeignOffice Fri 26-Aug-16 07:43:07

I used to live in Japan. Wonderful place. Get your rail passes sorted out in advance and I'd really recommend heading down to Hiroshima too. You'll have a fantastic time.

Notsoskinnyminny Tue 30-Aug-16 19:28:17

Statelychangers I found the prices for eating out similar to here although the exchange rate is pretty poor at the moment - DD was on her uni year abroad and her rent 'went up' by £100 pm after brexit. Public transport is great and easy to navigate, I probably spent about £80 in a week but she was an hour outside of Tokyo and I went there most days while she was in class.

dontcallmethatyoucunt Sun 18-Sep-16 15:50:17

Hakone and stay in a traditional B&B with an onsen. Really great being served by the traditional ladies and going in the baths. My friend goes with her kids (who we were visiting).

dontcallmethatyoucunt Sun 18-Sep-16 15:51:31

Kyoto for 5 days seems a lot. We went on the bullet train and had a couple of days there.

MadameCholetsDirtySecret Sun 18-Sep-16 15:58:11

I love Tokyo. I'm very jealous.

Lucydogz Sun 18-Sep-16 16:55:11

We're flying out on 7th October for 3 weeks. Would 3 nights in Tokyo be enough? Where are the best places to stay (and where to avoid). Also we would like to stay in a ryokan during the holiday, but want to keep a fluid itinerary. Do we have to book ahead?

dontcallmethatyoucunt Sun 18-Sep-16 17:36:15

Tokyo could be longer IMO, we prebooking our Ryokan in Hakone, but not sure if you have to. I think I used a Japanese ryokan site

LeaveMyWingsBehindMe Sun 18-Sep-16 17:40:27

Ooh I want to go to Japan too. I'm following this for ideas.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now