Miami - Where to stay?

(13 Posts)
YoScience Fri 19-Aug-16 10:33:03

Just looking for a bit of advice. I am hoping to do an 8 day break in Miami next summer with my (then) 16yr old. I was wondering if anyone had been and if so could recommend a hotel/area that they stayed in which was nice.

Also would it be doable without a car?

We have been to Orland in Late June/early July and it was crazily warm. Is Miami likely to be much the same, or does being on the coast give a bit more of a breeze (hopeful! grin)

CoffeeCoffeeAndLotsOfIt Fri 19-Aug-16 10:44:43

I went about 10 years ago. Stayed in a best Western.

Didn't have a car and managed fine. Took buses / trips.

Done a boat trip, Everglades, the Bahamas and the keys all from Miami.

Tbh, I'm in no hurry to ever head back to Miami. I never felt safe there and I've stayed in quite a few large American cities.

We went November and flew home 1st Dec. It was 30c plus the day we flew home.

YoScience Fri 19-Aug-16 11:07:23

Thanks for your reply. I don't like the sound of not feeling safe in Miami. It would just be my dd and I so that is putting me off slightly. We have been on a few big trips and I have always felt ok.

Hmm I wonder if I should maybe look elsewhere. I liked the idea of having the beach along with other things to do too. I also liked the idea of a day trip to the Bahamas, just for the novelty really! grin

cathyandclare Fri 19-Aug-16 11:12:04

We stayed in South Beach, it was absolutely fabulous, felt safe, beautiful architecture, great food without too much of the all-you-can-eat-buffet stuff. I'd be happy to take my dds there (17/19)

Eastpoint Fri 19-Aug-16 11:13:35

I went to Miami last October ½ term with one of my dds, second time we've been that ½ term, and had a great time. We stayed at a smallish hotel near the Fontainebleau (sp?) and used the rental bikes & buses to get to malls etc. We felt safe throughout and the weather was perfect - warm enough to go in the sea but not too hot for cycling around. Lots of art & Cuban food with some shopping thrown in. We went to a really sad marine life park 4 years ago and wouldn't recommend it.

NicknameUsed Fri 19-Aug-16 11:16:20

TBH I wouldn't want to holiday in the US without a car unless it was somewhere like New York or San Francisco where a car would be a hindrance.

I have never been to Miami, but OH has and he hated it. He said it was very hot and humid and just not very nice.

AttilaTheMeerkat Fri 19-Aug-16 11:41:18

It can be pretty hot in Miami in summer time even with the sea breezes. Have stayed there more than once in the last few years and have enjoyed all those visits to that city. I managed fine without a car; public transport there is not too bad at all.

I have also never felt threatened there, just use your common sense and it will be ok. Wherever you are you should always be aware of your surroundings.

Miami airport though is a right dump of a place!.

If you do go there I would look at hotels in the South Beach area.

Ricecreespees Fri 19-Aug-16 11:48:17

We stayed at four seasons hotel Miami and it was very nice, would recommend X

YoScience Fri 19-Aug-16 13:53:57

Thanks everyone!

I was looking at the south beach area, so that is good thank you. Also good to know that a car isn't essential. I could hire one if we had to, i'm just not hugely confident, I have never driven outside of the UK. I used Ubers on holiday in Orlando and I see that are also available in Miami, so I think that would be fine!

Felt safe in NY even very late at night, so I think just being aware of the surroundings is a good tip!

smile

RockyBird Fri 19-Aug-16 14:02:48

I've stayed on South Beach. I'm not keen if I'm honest. The nightlife around there is really seedy.

Fort Lauderdale 30 mins by car north is lovely though, with plenty to do. We stayed at the Bahia Mar which was right on the beach and lovely. We got water taxis everywhere, that was fun.

I also like St Pete's Beach on the other coast of FL, but not Clearwater (very dull place).

Zola1980 Sat 20-Aug-16 20:22:19

We have had a fabulous holiday this year in Miami Beach (stayed just north of Lincoln Road Mall - which i think is nicer than the very southern end of South Beach which may be a bit loud). Completely safe, always busy - find it very odd that people would find it scary. We spent a few days down in Key West too which was brilliant - a completely different vibe, and would definitely recommend it.

YoScience Sat 20-Aug-16 23:29:27

Thanks I'll look at the area around the Lincoln road mall too.

Like the sound of water taxis too!

MsAmerica Sun 21-Aug-16 21:28:50

I don't want to be a killjoy, but I feel obliged to mention that Miami has just declared some hotspots for the Zika virus. Since we're already in late August, I don't think they'll solve the problem now, and I might be wary of going there next summer.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now