Holiday with a teen on my own, best places you've been?

(13 Posts)
BigBetsy Sat 06-Aug-16 09:33:51

Just after some ideas really for next year.

After a few issues with our holiday this year I have been given a fair bit of compensation in flight vouchers so looking ahead to next summer.

It will just be DD (16 by then) and I. We like beaches, having lots to do, city breaks, most things really. If anyone has been somewhere that they really enjoy I'd love to hear about it.

As our flights would pretty much be paid it gives me a bit more to spend on the rest of the holiday which will be nice smile

almostthirty Sat 06-Aug-16 09:36:53

Barcelona is great for city and beach holiday. Hotels can be expensive so may work out well as your flights are paid for.

CodyKing Sat 06-Aug-16 09:38:26

I was going to say Barcelona! Great minds.

AlbusPercival Sat 06-Aug-16 09:39:28

Riviera Maya in Mexico? Or Puerto Rico?

AlbusPercival Sat 06-Aug-16 09:39:56

I mean Costa Rica. Can't believe I confused them!!

Jeffjefftyjeff Sat 06-Aug-16 09:45:46

Sri Lanka. Small enough to travel about a bit seeing a few things (eg inland to hills, elephants and Kandy) before finding a beach and flopping. If you go to the south, galle is a lovely laid back town and there are little villages with beaches nearby.

BigBetsy Sat 06-Aug-16 10:17:16

Thanks for the suggestions smile

We have been on a day trip to Barcelona while on holiday one year and did really enjoy it, so staying for longer would be nice!

I love the sound of Sri Lanka, I'll definitely look at that and Costa Rica too. A friend actually suggested Mexico to me too, she loves it, so that's another place to look into too.

I love planning holidays almost as much as going on them! grin

stinkingbishop Sat 06-Aug-16 10:28:35

I did various adventure type trips with DD when it was just her and me. Meant she had other teens to talk to and I had other parents. Mongolia was fantastic which we did through Off The Map. Great if she likes horseriding? Though obviously not a lot of beach action unless you count the Gobi wink. Really enjoyed Cuba, Peru and Egypt too with Exodus.

For city breaks we've just had one recently in Stockholm now she's in her 20s. Rented an air bnb apartment in the centre, did lots of day trips out, really beautiful, easy, cool city.

Next on the list would be somewhere east...Hong Kong or Tokyo would be great with a teenager I think.

Creampastry Sat 06-Aug-16 16:34:20

California!!!!!

Socialaddict Tue 09-Aug-16 13:33:57

I just created a thread for Central America as we are planning our next summer vacation there. We'd like to do Mexico, Guatemala, Belize and Costa Rica. My DD will be 16 then too and after GCSEs so a long and exciting holiday will be much needed smile

MilkyChops Wed 10-Aug-16 20:38:28

Jordan - Ruins in the north, dead sea, camping in a desert at Wadi Rum, snorkeling and diving in the Red Sea at Aqaba,

Belize - Lots of ruins (can go across to Guatemala for tikal too. River tubing in San Ignacio. Relaxing in Southern Belize on a beach. Snorkeling or diving off Caye Caulker.

Indonesia - Surfing in Bali, Relaxing on beaches, temples in Ubud. Then across to Lombok and the Gili islands for snorkeling.

Jordan is 4.5 hour or so flight. Belize is about 9. Indonesia is 16.

NicknameUsed Wed 10-Aug-16 20:47:17

DD (16) and I have recently come back from Florida. We went to Rome last year. Both were very enjoyable.

bojorojo Wed 10-Aug-16 22:39:59

We have used the Family Adventure Company and their trip to Peru is superb. No beaches but you really cannot fault this country! The major advantage is you will find there are teen departures and other adults. I think there is lots to do in Los Angeles, San Francisco and San Diego so, if you are prepared to drive, California is a great option as indeed South Africa would be too and your £ would go further. I have heard excellent reports about Costa Rica and again a family holiday there would be very good.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now