Special birthday holiday

(18 Posts)
Marmitelover55 Sun 31-Jul-16 13:13:15

I'm considering going a bit further afield next year in early July as it will be my 50th birthday.

When I was younger I did lots of travelling and crossed West Asia on an overland expedition. Since DC though we have stayed in Europe, mainly France in gites and eurocamp sites.

Next year I would like to push the boat out a bit and go somewhere a bit further afield/more exotic. The DC will be 15 and 13.

I fancy Thailand, as I have never been there, but think July might be the wrong time of year?

We all enjoy pool/beach/site-seeing and eating smile. Any suggestions would be very welcome please.

chemenger Sun 31-Jul-16 13:38:12

Costa Rica has everything you want, beautiful beaches, fantastic scenery, lots of activities and great wildlife.

Marmitelover55 Sun 31-Jul-16 13:43:27

Than you chememger - will have a Google smile

Any more ideas welcome too.

Donthate Sun 31-Jul-16 13:45:42

Bali! Lovely beaches, rice paddies, temples. Bliss. We stayed at villa agung khalia in Ubud and at a smaller place in Seminyak. I would go back in a heartbeat.

mummymeister Sun 31-Jul-16 23:02:26

Belize - stunning. sandy beaches, snorkelling, swimming with sharks and rays, mayan temples, making chocolate, following howler monkeys in the rain forest.... I could just go on and on. ex british colony so English spoken and no need for anti malarials.

ShanghaiDiva Wed 03-Aug-16 03:15:04

Parts of Thailand will be wet in July. The following places are dry in SE Asia in July:
Bali - agree with pp about Ubud - gorgeous - could combine with a few days in Singapore for universal studios, night safari etc
Hoi An in Vietnam - wet in the North of Vietnam in July, but Hanoi might be okay or combine with HCMC. Hoi An is lovely - beautiful old town, great food, my son ruins are nearby and beaches at an bang.
Malaysian Borneo - rainforests, national parks, trekking, long houses, orang utans in the wild and great food - easy to combine with a couple of days in Brunei for rainforest trekking too.

ShanghaiDiva Wed 03-Aug-16 03:15:49

Have to say from Mummymeister's description Belize sounds fantastic!

Kaisha02 Wed 03-Aug-16 04:07:20

Another vote for Bali from me, in particular Ubud. Such a beautiful place!

Scarydinosaurs Wed 03-Aug-16 04:15:40

Vietnam is beautiful!

MyFriendsCallMeOh Wed 03-Aug-16 04:49:46

I would do siem reap (Angkor wat etc) in Cambodia for culture followed by a beach in Thailand (Koh Samui and gulf resorts are dry in summer).

MyFriendsCallMeOh Wed 03-Aug-16 04:51:12

Mummymeister, where did you stay in Belize? I live in Texas so not long haul for us, would love to go (previously lived in Singapore for 6 years hence the Asia recommendation!)

intheBondiBubble Wed 03-Aug-16 05:27:26

It's the wet season in Thailand it will be unbearably sweaty shock
Have you considered Japan or Hawaii?

Ifiwasabadger Wed 03-Aug-16 05:44:53

I just came back from Thailand in July for my 40th. It's great! Bit warm and humid but it rains every day for a few hours and is lovely, that tropical rain. I did Bangkok and then Koh Samui.

MyFriendsCallMeOh Wed 03-Aug-16 05:50:30

Samui average in July is about 30C and rain every day is unusual, the two rainy seasons are May and November (used to live there and still have a holiday home there).

Japan in July is seriously humid ....

MyFriendsCallMeOh Wed 03-Aug-16 05:51:33

Phuket has its rainy season in July...

LazySusan11 Wed 03-Aug-16 06:00:09

Safari or the Rockies and Alaska, I'm planning my dh 50th, so many choices!

MooseBeTimeForSnow Wed 03-Aug-16 06:03:21

Rocky Mountaineer from Toronto to Vancouver then a cruise up to Alaska

Ifiwasabadger Wed 03-Aug-16 10:59:09

Myfriendscallme....wow we were lucky with the rain then..I loved it!

It rained the whole time we were in Bangkok and every day for five days in Koh Samui....That's it bouncing off our villa pool smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now