London v Sydney

(7 Posts)
crazycatguy Sat 23-Jul-16 11:43:39

Massive dilemma...!

DP and I live in suburban relative bliss in North London. He has a good job working with a private healthcare firm, and I teach. Without putting on my braggy pants, we both earn well and have no dependants.

He has been shortlisted for a job in Sydney. It was always his dream to live and work in Australia and when we pursued this many years ago when opened up the 'partner' criteria (we're same sex and unmarried) we were early in our careers, had nothing in the UK so didn't care and it only fell through as his father passed away and we had to stay here.

In short, if he gets it, I'm really rather worried. I'd not be working and although we could live on the salary he'd be offered, we'd seemingly have a decline in lifestyle. On the other hand we're both mid 30s and Australia tightens up once one of the parties is past 39 so now would be the time.

Am I over reacting? WWYD?

MiddleClassProblem Sat 23-Jul-16 11:47:26

Do you rent/own?
Will accommodation be provided?

Tbh if I were you, I'd go for it whilst you can. It doesn't have to be forever and you might kick yourself in 10 yrs time that you didn't experience it.

Is there no potential for you to work out there? Maybe even volunteer work if it's a visa issue?

crazycatguy Sat 23-Jul-16 11:49:26

We own in London and it could probably be rented out relatively easily.

I would get working rights should he get the job, however, collectively we'd be on less money there than here and Sydney is, from what we experienced while there, expensive.

The first month we'd be put up somewhere, the rest of it is up to us.

SanityClause Sat 23-Jul-16 11:50:34

Can you teach in Australia? (I know they don't recognise all UK teaching qualifications.)

If so, surely you will be able to work out there, too.

I am Australian, and I have to say even post-referendum, I think I'd prefer to be in the UK to Australia, although I have never been to Sydney, so can't compare it to London.

But, I know that's just my personal taste, really.

crazycatguy Sat 23-Jul-16 11:55:12

I could - 1 in 17 teachers in NSW are British born. I'd just need to send all my certificates in (and a substantial sum of money) and I'd be licensed.

There appear not to be as many jobs as in the UK, though!

I lived overseas in my teens and 20s so it's not as exciting maybe for me as to him. I arrived in the UK with £65 and the name of a friend's cousin (been here 10 years now) so I suppose I could do same in Australia.

crazycatguy Wed 03-Aug-16 19:58:10

bump...

Statelychangers Fri 26-Aug-16 07:56:06

My bil, lives in Sydney, retrained as a teacher and he failed to find permanent employment and has had to retrain again. The supply of teachers far exceeds the demand....complete opposite it seems to London. Both my sisters live in Sydney - one in a trendy beach suburb, the other in a more conservative family location. It's a good lifestyle - the beach suburb that is. Dh and I lived in Melbourne for a couple of years but dh found Australia was behind the times in the field he worked in - he prefers being on the cutting edge. We loved travelling around while we lived there but after 2 years we ran out of places to visit for long weekends -travelling is something we love to do! We went back to London....we'll never run out of places to visit in Europe.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now