Florida - Zika Virus - would you consider it?

(12 Posts)
UnGoogleable Tue 05-Jul-16 22:38:02

I was planning a trip to Florida, really looking forward to it. I've just found out that Zika virus has been found there and early predictions were that it would spread in Florida this summer. I can't find any recent info though - it seems that all the cases are from people who have caught it elsewhere and brought it back - I can't see whether it has actually been transmitted in Florida itself yet.

I'm trying to conceive after fertility treatment. I'm considering scrapping my travel plans as it's just not worth the risk and the worry.

What would you do? Has anyone been there recently whilst pregnant or ttc?

mummymeister Wed 06-Jul-16 14:22:33

I wouldn't go. its not just the risk its the worrying about it all the time you are there.

ditsygal Wed 06-Jul-16 14:34:52

I went to Florida in May, I was 18 weeks pregnant. We did loads of research and decided as it wasn't being locally transmitted there, it was worth going and watching the news daily while there. If it had appeared whilst we were there I could have stayed in airconditioning etc. I also used deet every day.

I've just had a google, and so far all the cases have been acquired elsewhere, there are still no locally transmitted cases in florida.
The only thing to be aware of is that the amount of people travelling to and from brazil for the olympics could be a time when zika numbers start to spread further.

UnGoogleable Wed 06-Jul-16 15:23:01

The Olympics is a very good point - although I guess that will apply to anywhere with mozzies, not just Florida.

I might wait a month or so and see what the official websites are saying then - by late summer, if there hasn't been an outbreak then I guess the risk is over....

But I'm still wobbling - I could just forget Florida and look for somewhere with no risk, just for peace of mind. Pissed off though because I'd done loads of research and was ready to book!!!

ditsygal Wed 06-Jul-16 16:31:25

Where in florida were you going? For example if you were staying in Disney world, they are going to be particularly hot on mosquito spraying etc at the moment, as they really won't want someone to become infected with zika on disney property.

mummymeister Thu 07-Jul-16 12:09:55

I would book somewhere without the risk and then you know that you can relax and think about your holiday.

as for WDW being hot on Zika spraying - hmm you mean like they were on stopping kids going in the water and keeping the alligators out?

insects are incredibly resilient and no matter how lovely the resort or determined the spraying they have a habit of making it through.

as I said in my first post, its not the actual getting of it, it will be the worry and it will spoil your holiday. plus if you do go and you do get bitten and are pregnant/conceive shortly afterwards, this will be a worry to you as well.

don't mean to sound like mrs doom and gloom but honestly its just a holiday so why take the risk.

Pootles2010 Thu 07-Jul-16 12:13:06

There are so many lovely places in the world to visit, why take the risk? You'll be worrying, so go elsewhere.

Good luck with your fertility treatment flowers and enjoy your holiday, wherever you end up.

UnGoogleable Thu 07-Jul-16 12:24:05

Thanks everyone.

We would definitely want to go to the Everglades, which I assume would be full of mozzies.

I've been checking the CDC website - there have been no cases of transmission within the US - so people have caught it elsewhere and returned to the states with it, but so far it hasn't spread from person to person there. But it seems to be only a matter of time, as they have the right type of mosquito to transmit it.

I think you're right - I'll just be worried before, during and after, so it's probably not worth the risk. I can go another time sad

mummymeister Fri 08-Jul-16 15:42:33

The everglades are worth a visit but they are full of mozzies because they are in land waters. think you are making the right decision OP and hope you find somewhere lovely for your holiday.

dizzyfucker Sat 09-Jul-16 09:08:44

The Everglades are a mozzie magnet. Especially if you're fresh meat. Because they don't chemically spray there. The rest of the state is heavily sprayed. TBH if you're pregnant or trying I wouldn't go anywhere that requires coating your skin in poison. But if you do go. Try to use natural protection with basil and lemon (lots of recipes on the internet) or children's protection that's deet free.
I had forgotten about Zika and I live in Brazil. Loads of pregnant people and none are majorly concerned but it's winter now. It seems to be hyped up in other places but if you feel nervous it's not worth the risk.

UnGoogleable Wed 27-Jul-16 21:41:47

Thanks everyone, I've decided against it. I know the risk is infinitesimally small, but it's still a risk. They have had their first case of locally transmitted Zika in Florida, and I suspect there will be more.

I have fertility problems, so If I get pregnant, it will be a miracle, so I will be ultra paranoid. Good point about the Deet, that stuff is vicious and another thing I'd be worrying about.

I'd rather go somewhere where I don't have to think about that stuff. Given that I hadn't booked a trip yet, it's no big deal to change my plans.

NicknameUsed Fri 29-Jul-16 23:24:47

We have just come back from Orlando and can honestly say that we didn't see any mosquitoes at all. The Everglades would be a different proposition completely.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now