What to wear - overnight flight, business class

(24 Posts)
hillyhilly Thu 23-Jun-16 12:23:04

Hello all, we're taking our first long haul as a family this year (Thailand). WE're flying business class so I feel as though we should be smart-ish, but above all we need to be comfortable.
DH was planning on joggers which I thought was a bad idea.
I'm thinking for me & DD loose, patterned trousers and a top & cardi.
Any ideas anyone - do we need to be smart to go in the lounges etc? We usually use the lounge at airports and travel in jeans for short haul but I'm having a dither

ShanghaiDiva Thu 23-Jun-16 12:31:47

I have flown long haul business class several times - no need to dress up for either the flight or the lounges. The only people I have seen who are dressed up (suit or similar) are passengers who have clearly come straight from the office and are travelling on company business.
Comfort is key and layers are useful as ime plane can be a bit chilly.

mouldycheesefan Thu 23-Jun-16 12:34:05

No you don't need to be smart or dress up. Prioritise comfort and warmth/coolness but what weather will be like on arrival.

NotWithoutMyMerkin Thu 23-Jun-16 12:37:18

Depending on who you are flying with you may get pjs to change into. Otherwise I'd always take something to change into to sleep in, as you feel SO much better walking off a plane if you're not in sweaty sleep clothes.
No need to be smart - I'd dress for the temperature on arrival, add a couple of layers for our weather, and take joggers and a t shirt for sleeping

Stopyourhavering Wed 06-Jul-16 17:40:19

We flew Emirates business to Bangkok last summer with 3 teenagers, I wore elasticated harem style trousers with a loose top and loose cardi and Birkenstocks .....( change of underwear/ t shirt which you can change into in lounge in transit airport ).....no need to dress up....you can take a small suitcase as hand luggage with change of clothing!
once you're in your seat you can put your socks on and get comfy in the roomy seats and you'll get a blanket but you could take a pashmina
If flying Emirates, the bar in the A380 is amazing!!....have a great holiday....Thailand is amazing !

hillyhilly Thu 07-Jul-16 22:16:23

Thanks Stopyourhavering - was Bangkok wet? I'm now wondering what shoes I'll need!
Less than four weeks now, so excited!
I was thinking of harem trousers, just feel a bit comfy old lady-ish in them!

Stopyourhavering Fri 08-Jul-16 00:39:45

We actually flew on to Koh Samui ( Bangkok airways- also amazing!)...,weather was v hot (34 degrees all day and night!)and very humid!!...like being in a tropical greenhouse....literally! Thank god for the pool and air conditioning! But we loved the climate and the animals, plants and flowers were amazing
We had 1 wet day when we left other than that just brief thunderstorms in afternoon which were actually v refreshing!!....I wore Birkenstocks and some very comfy ECCO sandals and took flip flops for beach as sand was soooo hot!!....loose flowing clothes are order of the day.....market stalls sell some v good loose clothing!
Food is great even if you don't like spicy food the bbq sweet corn you can buy from beach vendors is so tasty and the fruit is delicious ....you must go to the walking night markets where you can try all sorts of street food.....where are you going?

BIWI Sat 09-Jul-16 13:24:58

No need to dress up - even seasoned business travellers will turn up looking casual/scruffy! It's all about comfort. Layers, so that you can cool down/warm up.

eurochick Sat 09-Jul-16 13:47:23

No need to dress up but in my experience grown men in joggers would be rare in biz class. I usually wear jeans and then layers on top (vest, top, cardi, cashmere wrap). Men tend to be in jeans or chinos.

I have on occasions taken yoga pants to sleep in but generally can't be bothered to get changed these days.

bojorojo Wed 13-Jul-16 00:17:05

Getting changed is a faff. In the Loos is the only option so we stay in our clothes. Layers is key and jeans, chinos, shirt for DH and similar for you will be fine. You get a decent blanket so wraps and layers won't be very necessary, especially if it is very hot at the other end. The main thing about business is being able to lie down and sleep!!! No one cares what you wear by and large but men in joggers would be a rarity. Avoid linen too.

KickAssAngel Wed 13-Jul-16 01:05:33

I once got upgraded to business after a nightmare journey when DD and I had been in the same clothes for a few days, DD's jeans were torn, and she'd spilt choc ice cream and ketchup down her. We smelled pretty bad.

No-one cared, although I'm sure they'd have got annoyed if DD had been loud.

So - wear what you want.

I did notice that one woman wore black lounge pants, black vest top, and had a beautiful 3/4 length jacket which she asked to be hung up. Without the jacket she was practically in pj's, but with the jacket looked vv classy.

Tartyflette Wed 13-Jul-16 01:26:22

Yoga pants, couple of Tees, one short sleeve, one longer (the cabin can get quite chilly at night) possibly a cashmere/alpaca wrap or shawl, which can also be folded up to use as an extra pillow or cushion, change of knickers. (Or maybe that's just me 😆) . Wet wipes.
Alpaca is amazingly light and warm and can be folded or rolled up really small.

Canyouforgiveher Wed 13-Jul-16 01:33:57

Dress for comfort. My dh travels business/first class all the time. usually wearing jeans, a t shirt and a jacket. He generally keeps a pair of BA freebie first class pyjamas in his hand luggage and changes into these, puts in ear plugs and an eye mask and goes to sleep if he is travelling long haul (he is a big profit maker for first class - doesn't drink and rarely eats on a flight).

bojorojo Wed 13-Jul-16 16:52:44

Where do you get changed though? Such a tight fit in the Loos ! Knickers are easy but the whole pj change is quite a faff. And you have to change out of them again! First world problem if ever there was one! Just enjoy the lounge, the champagne, a metal knife and fork, a lie flat bed and getting through passport control before anyone else!

blueshoes Wed 13-Jul-16 18:15:03

I feel a bit let down when I see how some of the people in business class just look so scruffy. PJs only fit for lounging around at home, bare feet in the cabin or bed hair. I dress for comfort - long jersey dresses, touch up my face before I step off. There is no need to look disgraceful in public, business class or not! It is visual pollution.

BIWI Wed 13-Jul-16 21:05:48

Don't be so ridiculous! It's about comfort on a long haul. It's not a fashion show for the benefit of the other passengers.

BennyTheBall Wed 13-Jul-16 21:11:06

Blueshoes, that is hilarious.

Agree with others - it's all about what you're comfortable in. There is no expectation to be smart.

Coconutty Wed 13-Jul-16 21:12:47

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ApocalypseSlough Wed 13-Jul-16 21:16:23

Go for comfort but I don't like joggers in men unless they're actually running.

blueshoes Wed 13-Jul-16 22:15:51

Just making the point that being comfortable does not equate to looking as if you were lounging in your own house at home. Not particularly controversial but surprised some people get so defensive.

MrsCaecilius Wed 27-Jul-16 12:05:28

Used to fly business class long haul a lot (sadly no longer...). I prefer to change into yoga pants, T shirt, long cashmere cardie for overnight. I always feel scuzzy if I sleep in my clothes and wear them coming off the plane the next day. You'll probably get socks to change into as the air con can get rather chilly.

specialsubject Wed 27-Jul-16 18:12:34

Love the concept that not being slapped up is ' disgraceful ' and ' visual pollution' . has anyone told men about this?

BIWI Wed 27-Jul-16 20:07:31

Well quite, specialsubject!

If you're on a longhaul flight, it is your own time. So why shouldn't you dress in a way to please yourself, which is also comfortable?

I couldn't give two hoots what other passengers think what I look like. And I think it's very sad that you feel the need to put on a face, blueshoes!

specialsubject Wed 27-Jul-16 22:02:40

Sad indeed.

Rules for a plane are - covered appropriately, not smelling of anything and no offensive slogans on clothing. Same as anywhere!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now