Long Haul flights with BA

(11 Posts)
Pinkpeanut27 Mon 20-Jun-16 17:41:25

Can anyone let me know what to expect in economy flying to the east isn't of America.
Is it worth booking into the lounges ? DH can get 2 in free so we would only need to pay for 3 .
Also what about food and entertainment on a 9 hour flight especially for my 6 yr old . I also have 2 at 13 but assume there will be enough with films etc and music and downloaded games on their iPads ?
It's about 30 years since I flew anything but easy jet ! And I'm a bit nervous about the whole thing . I think DH wS thinking of his solo business class flights when he thought it was a good plan to take the kids to America !!

vikingorigins Mon 20-Jun-16 17:58:03

We flew BA in Feb with DD who was 8. Can't help you with the lounges as we didn't use them, but as far as entertainment goes there was plenty.

DD took a backpack with lots of new things in; reading books, stickers books, Top Trumps games etc and alternated between those and the in-flight entertainment. There is a children's channel and she was glued to that.

I watched 3 films and a couple of comedy programmes and didn't touch the books I'd taken.

Food on a 9 hour flight, you'll get 2 meals, depending on flight times - breakfast and dinner or lunch and dinner, plus they come round with tea/coffee, soft drinks etc quite regularly.

ihatethecold Mon 20-Jun-16 17:58:14

BA are good. We flew to Florida about 4 years ago.
Good entertainment on the plane.
I also went into the BA lounge last summer at gatwick airport.
It was really pleasant.

Lokisglowstickofdestiny Mon 20-Jun-16 18:01:39

I fly Business Class with BA quite often, I don't think the lounges are worth paying for as an additional cost to be honest. They are a nice to have perk of Business Class but I wouldn't stump up for them.

Autumnchill Mon 20-Jun-16 18:03:51

I like BA, good selection of films, food and drinks. Not had a bad flight. Wouldn't bother with the lounges.

Jubaloo442 Mon 20-Jun-16 18:06:49

I like BA, they tend to keep you fed and watered quite well. About the lounges though - are you talking about the BA ones? If so, is it possible to pay for accompanying guests? My understanding was that you needed to have a business / first ticket. They are nice though, will also keep you decently fed, and some have kids areas which is good.

trilbydoll Mon 20-Jun-16 18:15:13

My last few long haul flights with BA have been to the West Coast but the meals are probably the same.

Hot meal - all good. Even choc mousse for pudding, was lovely.

Cold lunch / breakfast - dire except for the giant polo for breakfast. Admittedly I'm a fussy eater but the sandwiches are all pickle / mayonnaise laden which I just don't want after 8 hours on a plane. Definitely take snacks just in case dc feel the same way I do!

4yoniD Mon 20-Jun-16 18:37:44

I flew BA to Florida this Easter with a 5 and 8 year old. The onboard entertainment was great - cbeebies, Cartoon Network, kids movies. That, a kindle Fire and a Stampy Cat book more than did us. Food - they had kids meals - was terrible. I didn't blame them for not eating it, it looked terrible. Luckily i'd taken sandwiches and snacks with me. Luckily I had enough for me too, as my food wasn't great either. Maybe it was a bad food day!

4yoniD Mon 20-Jun-16 18:40:24

Forgot to say, no charging points in cattle class on BA. I took a battery pack to keep tablets charged, although barely needed it as the tv provided had such a good selection. There are free headphones but they weren't a great fit on little kids, luckily we had our own.

MadameCholetsDirtySecret Mon 20-Jun-16 19:02:31

I fly BA business class long haul and short haul. The lounge is ok at Terminal 5 LHR but I wouldn't pay for it if it wasn't included in the fare. The food is so so, yes drinks are free, but I dont recommend too much alcohol on a long flight - you will feel crap when you arrive.

AttilaTheMeerkat Mon 20-Jun-16 20:07:13

I was also wondering what lounges you were referring to at T5. If it is the BA Galleries one they are very strict on guests admitted; its one guest only and there are no exceptions to that rule made due to capacity. Also you need to be a Gold or Silver member or travel in either First or Club World to enter. You cannot pay to enter the BA lounges.

TBH I would not be paying £90 upwards (minimum price quoted for adults and children over the age of 12) for three of you to enter the Aspire lounge at T5 (that is totally independent of the ones that BA have).

There is a Giraffe café at T5 and the food and service there is good overall. Having used the lounges and Giraffe I prefer the food at Giraffe.

Do not rely on BA to fully provide re foodstuffs; take what your children like and plenty of it. Leave any uneaten fruit or sandwiches behind on the aircraft on arrival.

You can now look up what films and entertainment will be shown for your actual flight via ba.com.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now