Summer visit to New York, Boston & Washinton

(10 Posts)
DPotter Sun 12-Jun-16 16:52:54

Really looking forward to our trip to the States this summer. Always hearing about the shopping opportunities especially in New York. What would be your top tips for buys & bargains ?

originalmavis Sun 12-Jun-16 16:58:56

You jammy bugger! There are some good outlet malls on the outskirts of Boston - really good.

NY shopping - I guess Macy's is ok. We stock up on jeans, Ralph Lauren, trainers and underwear. Also handbags and accessories.

AveEldon Sun 12-Jun-16 17:11:28

I always like to visit Target for kids stuff and random stuff like pants/socks/Crayola/toys

We usually visit outlet malls as well
Woodbury Common is massive.

DPotter Sun 12-Jun-16 18:46:15

Thank you - hadn't thought about outlet malls. Will add to my list of things to do!

eurochick Sun 12-Jun-16 18:48:57

Washington isn't great for shopping unless you head to the malls. I love the City though. Great restaurants and museums.

AveEldon Sun 12-Jun-16 18:58:32

The outlet malls usually do additional coupons online or if you go to customer services on arrival
We have got some ridiculous bargains in the past like leather timberland shoes for DH for about $15

originalmavis Sun 12-Jun-16 19:16:57

I got trainers for £12 that is bought here for £109!!! Also sone lovely handbags for a quarter of the price here and work dresses and shirts for under $30, levis jeans for $15. The malls and outlets had bloody brilliant sales.

Plus kids clothes are massive so fit nicely.

UnGoogleable Sun 12-Jun-16 21:29:41

I got loads at Target when I was there last year - great for kid's clothes, but I got stuff for myself too.

I agree - Washington DC city centre is almost devoid of shops, at least the bit around the Mall, the White house etc. Although I'm kicking myself for not buying a 'Donald Trump for President' comedy mug from the White House gift shop!

AttilaTheMeerkat Mon 13-Jun-16 09:26:59

Century 21 in NYC is worth a visit as is Macys (do get one of their 10% discount cards in store. You will need to show them some photo ID to have one of these).

Have a look online at the Woodbury Common outlet mall as well.

There are not many malls in DC itself apart from the one at Crystal City, another mall that could be easily visited from DC is the one at Tysons Corner which is accessible from the Metro Silver Line.

DPotter Mon 13-Jun-16 14:05:13

Thanks for the Macey's tip

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now