Mexico with 4 DC and pregnant... help!

(31 Posts)
PinkRosie321 Mon 16-May-16 19:35:40

Me and DH recently booked holiday to Mexico in August for us and our family. We have 2 DS's (will be 16 & 3) and twin DD's (11), not to mention I will be 6 months pregnant with DC5 when we go!! Does anyone have any advice on how to manage long haul with so much to worry about? (I have considered inviting my parents but they wouldn't be able to afford Mexico and I don't want to offend them by offering to pay)

DiggersRest Mon 16-May-16 19:42:05

Offer to pay for their flights or accommodation! Yes l think you are a little crazy for attempting this holiday smile, but more so if you dont look for some help! I'm sure your DP would love to go.

specialsubject Mon 16-May-16 20:39:11

Zika area - is six months too far on to be affected? Make sure you can get travel insurance, although it should have been bought already.

PinkRosie321 Mon 16-May-16 20:41:53

Travel insurance is all sorted luckily - travel agent did discuss Zika virus with us so we are prepared to be protected.

AnchorDownDeepBreath Mon 16-May-16 20:42:34

It's infected with Zika and so it's inadvisable for pregnant women in any trimester to go. Please say you've already got insurance?

You might be able to change destinations, or you might prefer to cancel - check if your insurance will cover everyone cancelling or just your share though.

AnchorDownDeepBreath Mon 16-May-16 20:44:20

Ah cross posts. I don't think there is a way to be protected, it's against medical advice for any pregnant woman in any trimester to travel to a place infected with the Zika virus. There are some guidelines for women who live in infected areas but they are not thought to be overly effective.

Are you covered on insurance for Zika now it you've accepted the risk?

PinkRosie321 Mon 16-May-16 20:44:41

From what we're paying for insurance I hope we are covered for this! I don't know about cancelling but I may have to look into changing destination if Zika is such an issue as I understand there is no way of preventing it... Does anyone have any recommendations of where to go?

Puffinsrock Mon 16-May-16 20:47:03

Is be more worried about zika if I were you and personally wouldn't go if pregnant/ family not yet complete

AnchorDownDeepBreath Mon 16-May-16 20:47:51

No the preventions are to have no exposed skin at any time and not to go out between sunrise and sunset, and even then it's inadvisable. I definitely wouldn't risk Mexico.

I'm a bit worried about the rogue travel agent suggesting it's manageable...

Anyway I think you'll have much more fun elsewhere, without the worry. Are you open to anywhere or would you prefer to stay around the US?

PinkRosie321 Mon 16-May-16 20:48:53

Am I stupid for never understanding that Zika was such an issue? I just assumed it was like any other virus you can get abroad.

Popocatapetl1234 Mon 16-May-16 20:51:13

I think the advice on Zika is pretty clear. Women who are pregnant should not travel there.

How about the Canary Islands? Sardinia? Sicily? Or if you are looking for long haul South Africa or Mauritius?

PinkRosie321 Mon 16-May-16 20:57:21

A lot of great advice thank you. I'll have to discuss this with DH as I've now researched the area and the virus.

AttilaTheMeerkat Tue 17-May-16 06:54:41

This travel agent was very remiss in selling you such a package in the first place particularly as you are pregnant.

There is also another reason for changing your destination; hurricane season in Mexico runs from June to November and that can affect the both the Pacific and Atlantic coasts.

VocationalGoat Tue 17-May-16 07:02:32

So risky OP. I'm from California so hopping over to Mexico was the norm growing up.
I would never go there during pregnancy. The water is undrinkable, even in the best hotels you have to constantly think about not opening your mouth. You have to brush your teeth with bottled water. It's a nightmare. I can't believe a travel agent would encourage a pregnant to travel to Mexico! It doesn't stop with Zika.

VocationalGoat Tue 17-May-16 07:05:21

Sorry... That should have said "not opening your mouth in the shower".
Bathing the kids= nightmare.
Whole idra= nightmare.
What an irresponsible jerk that agent is putting you at high risk of all sorts of things.

NewBallsPlease00 Tue 17-May-16 07:08:36

Another here saying do not go- zika and ware Bourne issues which pregnant especially dangerous rather than a little risky

eurochick Tue 17-May-16 07:12:34

I agree with the others - I wouldn't go due to zika. No way.

TheOnlyLivingBoyInNewCross Tue 17-May-16 07:14:14

The CDC travel advice is that a pregnant woman should not travel to Mexico if they are staying below 6,500 feet.

Twinkie1 Tue 17-May-16 07:21:56

Id swap your destination to Mauritius. Probably cheaper than Mexico and no chance of getting Zika which you cannot protect yourself from.

mummymeister Tue 17-May-16 07:34:21

Did you tell the travel agent that you were pregnant? if you have only just booked it then you are only a couple of months so unless you told them they probably didn't realise. if you did tell them then I would go straight back in there and demand a full refund for this holiday and either book with someone else or re-book somewhere that is Zika free.

There is no way that you can protect yourself from Zika. you will get bitten and it only takes one bite.

Before you re-book, print off the list of Zika areas to make sure you don't inadvertently book a holiday to somewhere else with the virus.

Scarydinosaurs Tue 17-May-16 07:42:11

So shocked the estate agent sold you a package to Mexico 😱

Scarydinosaurs Tue 17-May-16 07:42:45

Estate?? Travel. Different sort of agent. Can be equally dodgy.

Frazzled2207 Tue 17-May-16 07:45:43

I'm shocked that you didn't know that zika + pregnant makes it a complete no.

mummymeister Tue 17-May-16 10:41:35

yep me too Frazzled2207 but I guess it has gone out of the news a bit recently. who can blame Mexico. Tourism is important to them and Zika must have devastated their industry. still always surprised at the people who don't research places for how hot it will be, hurricanes, health warnings etc before they book and just assume everywhere is safe.

specialsubject Tue 17-May-16 11:12:40

travel agent, not expert travel advisor. Nowhere is safe and if someone comes in saying 'I want to go to Mexico' then that's what you get sold.

duff time of year, insect-borne disease (which much of the world has), or whatever.

I don't think anyone's done anything dodgy, and the OP simply did not realise the issues.

FCO advice is that pregnant women are 'recommended' to avoid all non-essential travel to Zika areas. Not sure if this would invalidate insurance or if that is only for 'do not go'.

anyway, definitely change your trip, too many risk factors!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now