San Francisco

(51 Posts)
Lovewhereilive Sat 14-May-16 14:14:07

Have booked 2 hotels, 1 in fishermans wharf, the wharf inn, but it's only got a 7.5 booking.com review score or 1 on 4th street not far from union square called hotel Zelos, the hotel looks lovely and it's reviews are 8.5. I need to cancel one of them. Prices are similar.

If you've been to SF, which one would you choose?

Spam88 Sat 14-May-16 17:04:38

We stayed around Fisherman's Wharf and it was definitely a good location smile could stroll down to Pier 39 in the evenings (I literally couldn't get enough of the sea lions).

Not familiar with the hotels, but on location I'd go for The Wharf Inn.

AnneEyhtMeyer Sat 14-May-16 17:05:11

I would cancel Fisherman's Wharf. It is tatty and a cheap tourist trap. The area around Union Square is lovely and bustling. We stayed actually on Union Square at the Westin St Francis. It was gorgeous.

Daisy03 Sat 14-May-16 17:07:21

I'd go with hotel zelos, in particular if you like shopping it's in a fantastic area for it

specialsubject Sat 14-May-16 21:21:06

not much to do round FW apart from admire sealions (which are good) and buy tat.

stay in the middle and use the cable cars. Much more choice of eateries too. Check your rough guide for where you shouldn't be walking.

barkingfly Sat 14-May-16 22:08:11

I love the Wharf Inn as it has free parking which is unheard of in SF, and it's a decent neighborhood. Close to public transport.

pleasethankyouthankyouplease Sat 14-May-16 22:10:43

I d say, Visit the wharf, stay in union square !

Spam88 Sat 14-May-16 22:43:34

Suppose it depends how long you're there for as well, we only did a one night stopover smile

Lovewhereilive Sat 14-May-16 23:29:23

Oh no, no clear winner then. Staying 3 nights. Still no idea which one to choose.

Thanks for replies so far everyone.

Lovewhereilive Sun 15-May-16 22:17:36

Is 4th street where the Zelos is ok at night? Heard Tenderloin is not a good place to be at night and it doesn't look too far from there.

ThisCakeFilledIsle Sun 15-May-16 22:33:38

I'd go with union square. Fisherman's wharf is a tourist trap.

specialsubject Mon 16-May-16 11:55:18

looking on the map I think the Zelos is a couple of blocks outside the Tenderloin - borrow a rough guide for the no-go streets but I think it is outside there. The hotel staff will always suggest places that you shouldn't go but it doesn't look to be in the 'don't walk at night' bit.

as always, phone in pocket, ears clear of headphones and common sense are good.

Lovewhereilive Mon 16-May-16 20:06:28

A couple of blocks doesn't sound very far. It's having the kids with us that makes me worry more about areas. Union square must be ear to tenderloin then too?

specialsubject Mon 16-May-16 20:34:52

Yes. Just be aware and don't go to the wrong areas. While there isn't a ' bad guy wall' the bad areas are quite well defined .and blocks are quite big!

I'm afraid you are going to see some disturbing sights wherever you go in San Francisco.

Lovewhereilive Mon 16-May-16 21:10:14

What type of disturbing sights? Am having second thoughts about the place!

elQuintoConyo Mon 16-May-16 21:20:56

Union Square much better location-wise, although if you have DC I'm sure Fishy Wharf would be a delight to them. You can get cable cars from anywhere. Along that street are various bike-hire places, we cycled over the GG bridge and into gorgeous Sausalito on our first day and visited the houseboats, then a 5 o'clock boat back with about 300 other cyclists grin

I was rather shocked by the amount of people with obvious mental health problems everywhere, poor fellas (mostly men).

We wandered through Tenderloin looking for a cinema (not actually realising what district we were in) and the only one we found was showing Dildo Wars confusedshockgrin

We did a hell of alot of walking around everywhere: Chinatown, Nob Hill, Haight Ashbury in the day, at night, never felt threatened. Pre-dc, I have to say.

SF I love it, would love to experience living there for a year or so.

Lovewhereilive Mon 16-May-16 21:33:23

So fishermans wharf best for kids? Just want the safest place really! If it was just me and DH then wouldn't worry as much.

Lovewhereilive Mon 16-May-16 21:34:04

We plan on doing the cycle ride into Sausalito too, sounds like a great day. Also booked for Alcatraz.

specialsubject Mon 16-May-16 22:15:49

Just needs common sense and knowing where not to go. All American cities have the same issues .

GinSolvesEverything Tue 17-May-16 06:08:53

Just got back from SF. Personally I'd stay in Union Square. FW is nice to visit but is very touristy. Lots more in terms of shopping and restaurants. Although if your activities are all based from the wharf, and if your kids are small, then that may be better for you.

There is no care system over there, hence the high amount of mentally unstable people in some areas. Just ignore and stay out of the way and you'll be fine. We stayed in a more gritty area but never once felt unsafe - although we had no kids with us which may have changed things.

One tip for the cable cars - don't join the hour long queues from the beginning of the line - walk up to the next stop and flag one down. They never fill them right from the depot.

bruffin Tue 17-May-16 06:30:42

Sorry to hijack, what about parking in San Francisco. Our hotel in Union Square charges $60 a day

AttilaTheMeerkat Tue 17-May-16 06:40:01

www.sfmta.com/getting-around/parking

This may help. Parking in SF is a nightmare however.

I would choose a completely different hotel, the area around Union Square itself is ok. You need to be a bit nearer to Union Square if you stay downtown.

Lovewhereilive Tue 17-May-16 07:06:02

Thanks for the tips. Hotel near Union square is nicer but with having the kids am erring towards fishermans wharf. We are doing Alcatraz and want to cycle the bridge too so maybe better location for those? Am scared of ending up in the wrong area if we only s few blocks away on 4th street.

Lovewhereilive Tue 17-May-16 07:06:54

Struggling for choice Attila as need a room for 5.

JapanNextYear Tue 17-May-16 07:16:00

I'd stay in union square too, FW good for a visit but union square better to stay in. Check with hotel and just keep clear of the dodgy bits. There are lots of homeless people but we didn't get hassled and walked everywhere. The queues for the cable cars are really long, check tips online for where to get on them with shorter queues.

Loved the cycle ride, if you aim for the last ferry, they don't leave anyone behind!

I really liked SF.

The Cheesecake Factory is fab. If you get there about 9.30 you should get a seat on the balcony. But share, portions are huge.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now