Tell me about a 23 hour trip with a four year old

(9 Posts)
cleopatraseyebrows Tue 26-Apr-16 18:13:21

Because I'm beginning to panic about it. Just the one, but a particularly loud, demanding one who veers between angelic behaviour and epic, screaming meltdowns, as four year olds are wont to do.

Any last minute tips and tricks to avoid making a horrible journey even more, er, horribler, much appreciated.

lamusic Tue 26-Apr-16 20:00:34

Are you travelling by air bus car etc?

Kirriemuir Thu 28-Apr-16 08:18:23

Bribery works perfectly. Do whatever it takes to get through. What's your method of transport?

vvviola Thu 28-Apr-16 08:28:50

We did a 36 hour journey (Ireland to NZ, 3 flights) with DD1 when she was 4 (DD2 was 5 months old, and that was a whole other story).

DD1 is pretty high energy, never stops moving or talking and I was terrified it was going to be a disaster.

It was surprisingly easy. The seat-back entertainment system was a god send - she thought all her birthdays had come together. I bought a magazine in between the first and second flights, and she got a good bit of time out of that.

My bag was packed with multiple toys and treats, but in the end we only needed to get it down for the last half of the last leg.

We flew back when DD2 was 3.5. The seat-back TV had the same wonderful effect (thank god for Frozen and Peppa Pig).

My bag on this occasion had (for 7yo and 3 yo)
Travel folders: folders that only come out on long road trips or flights - they have colouring sheets, game instructions etc
Multiple little games and activities in little pouches so I can get them out one by one
A few favourite books, and a new one
A little music player with head phones
Various snacks
Toy cars

PatriciaHolm Thu 28-Apr-16 22:24:27

Relax about screens, basically ;-) We took ours to Oz at 2.5 and 1, and DD (2.5) essentially watched Dora (without sound, as she wouldn't wear the earphones) for many many hours....!

Toomanywheeliebinsagain Thu 28-Apr-16 22:28:49

Honestly, it will be fine. We did London to NZ with a 2 yo and a 4 yo (and back again). Night flights worked for us and a reasonable stop over. People thought we were mad but it was really easy.

cleopatraseyebrows Thu 28-Apr-16 22:29:15

Thanks vvviola. I'm planning lots of bits and pieces to pull out at points of boredom, hopefully they'll help!
I'm expecting it to be very hard work so maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised. I purposely booked the second leg (14-hour flight) for night time so really hoping he'll sleep for longer than an hour or so, he's never been a child to doze off anywhere except lying flat in bed though.

Toomanywheeliebinsagain Thu 28-Apr-16 22:29:26

But the disney channel and peppa was on repeat

sm40 Tue 24-May-16 14:20:15

We went to Oz with a 6 and 3 year old. I packed the bag of treats. I never opened it! They were too busy with the tv/ iPads! And the snacks that kept coming round. I did book Emirates as they have lots of kids tv. Just try and sleep the moment they drop off. You will not get as much sleep as you want but it's all worth it once you get wherever you are going!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now