Anyone flown with a Maxi Cosi Tobi toddler seat?

(32 Posts)
NothingMoreThanFelines Wed 20-Apr-16 18:21:25

We're flying to the Caribbean shortly and would like to take a car seat for our 2-year-old to sit in on the plane. We've been lent a Maxi Cosi Tobi seat, which is normally used with standard car seat belts, but I'm having trouble finding out whether it'll work with the plane lap belt. I've checked the BA website and the dimensions are OK, but there's no guidance about the actual fixings. Any advice most welcome!

NothingMoreThanFelines Wed 20-Apr-16 18:23:55

Oh, and I've already phoned BA but the person I spoke to was completely clueless - had no idea that you could even take a car seat on board.

Rascallsall Wed 20-Apr-16 18:46:58

I am BA crew. I have had a look at this seat online and it looks fine. It needs to be a forward facing car seat and the aircraft seat belt needs to be able to be passed through the back of the seat frame. The seat needs to be upright ( if it reclines) for takeoff and landing. Ideally the seat should be fitted to a window seat. Ask the crew for help when you board. The aircraft seat belt needs to be taut and the seat belt firmly secured. Put your knee into the seat and tighten belt. Have a good flight.

Rascallsall Wed 20-Apr-16 18:50:56

Second to last line should read...and the seat firmly secured

NothingMoreThanFelines Wed 20-Apr-16 18:52:00

Thank you, Rascallsall - you are a star!

Rascallsall Wed 20-Apr-16 19:05:50

My pleasure. Sorry should have added...you don't have to have a row with a window seat. If, say, you want a row of 4 seats in the middle, just secure the seat to one of the middle seats. I can't see a picture of the side of the seat frame online, but most have somewhere at the side/back to pass an aircraft seat belt through.

Rascallsall Wed 20-Apr-16 19:10:37

Loooonnng time since I used a car seat..,of course you will have a gap at the back of the seat, it is where you pass the car seat beltblush

NothingMoreThanFelines Wed 20-Apr-16 19:58:43

There'll be three of us, flying Premium Economy. I haven't checked the cabin plan yet but am hoping we'll get a window seat for the young 'un and then take it in turns to sit next to her.

Thanks so much - I've been getting very twitchy about this flight, as it's the first we've done with DD and I'm a dreadful flier in any case, and the seat reassurance is a load off my mind.

firethornuk Wed 20-Apr-16 21:10:39

I don't think you can fly with a maxi cosi tobi. I've tried in the past and it's always gone in the hold. Check out this link. The tobi is not on the list. m.tuv.com/de_1/germanyinfothek/infothek/kindersitze_flugzeug/hersteller_kindersitze/hersteller_kindersitze.html#bmb=1

NothingMoreThanFelines Wed 20-Apr-16 21:36:15

Was that BA, firethornuk? And did they say what the problem was?

Rascallsall Wed 20-Apr-16 22:59:15

Nothing, BA doesn't work to a list of approved seats ( hence the person you spoke to wasn't able to confirm it was ok) You just need to take your car seat onboard as many parents do. Once onboard you and the crew will try and fit it into an aircraft seat. Sounds like it will as you say you have looked at the measurements. If for any reason it doesn't fit or can't be secured firmly it will be placed in an overhead or wardrobe for takeoff and landing. Seats that are not approved ( say a rear facing seat) can be used inflight anyway. Very occasionally a car seat comes onboard that is too big to fit or we can't get the seat belt through the back but this happens rarely. Please don't worry and have a lovely holiday. I think your aircraft may have a 2:3:2 config in Plus and if so you would want the middle 3 seats with junior in the middle seat. ( I am a cabin crew at Heathrow, long haul and have worked for BA for over 30 years, so please don't worry)

Rascallsall Thu 21-Apr-16 01:15:50

It is possible that this particular car seat is too big for some/all economy seats ( which would explain why the other poster hasn't been able to take the seat on board her German??? airline and the seat is not on the German??? list posted) HOWEVER you are not sitting in a standard economy seat, but a larger, wider premium economy seat.
British Airways would never be able to compile a similar list because there are so many different sized BA aircraft seats available and I assume hundreds of different car seats. Instead we have a few rules that the car seat has to comply with, such as forward facing and I quote " the lap strap buckle must not lie directly over any part of the frame or under the structure of the car type seat after tightening" and "the frame must be either metal or plastic/ polycarbonate" and "the car-type seat harness must secure the lap, torso and crutch"

NothingMoreThanFelines Thu 21-Apr-16 09:35:16

Thank you! This is really reassuring. flowers

My DD is disabled and a bit floppy, so the seat has been a big worry.

Rascallsall Thu 21-Apr-16 13:02:48

So glad I could help. Confide in the crew when you board (if you are happy to) that you are a little anxious about the flight and that your daughter has a disability so that you can get a little extra understanding and attention. You can select your seats for free online 24 hours prior to departure ( or possibly earlier because of your daughter's disability. I have no idea what additional help BA offers prior to departure but I assume there must be some. Check ba.com). I am keeping my finger's crossed that you have a stress free journey!

NothingMoreThanFelines Thu 21-Apr-16 16:51:34

Thank you!

Cakescakescakes Thu 21-Apr-16 17:09:16

Ring them before hand and you can request special assistance from your airline. This sometime means that when you are checking in you can go in a fast track lane through security etc too. I have a disabled DS and only flown once (short haul) but he airline were great and reserved us seats at no extra charge well before check in when I called to explain.

NothingMoreThanFelines Thu 21-Apr-16 21:04:14

Thanks for the tip, Cakescakescakes (mmmm - I really fancy some cake now) - I'll give them a call.

cavedescreux Sat 23-Apr-16 23:39:15

I have a Tobi seat and the belt does not pass through the seat back like many seats but around a special channel at the top (usually the bit of the belt that passes across your chest) and around the lower front (the lap piece). Struggle to see how it would work on a flight like one that passes thru the back to be honest.

Kirriemuir Sun 24-Apr-16 08:47:41

It's a long flights get for a 2 year old to be in a seat for. Remember the is nowhere for it go to so its sit in it and that it. No space to move around etc. I know you say your daughter is disabled but could you manage without the seat?

Without it arm rests can lift giving more space to play/relax.

NothingMoreThanFelines Tue 26-Apr-16 13:06:21

I'm hoping we'll be able to book bulkhead seats so she can play down by our feet. The flight length is a bummer. With most toddlers you can let them burn off some energy by going for little walks up and down the aisles, but our DD isn't walking, so this isn't an option.
I'm more concerned about her not having a car seat on the night-time return flight, to be honest. I'm hoping she'll sleep, and we might even be able to get a bit of kip, but there's no way we'll be able to doze off if there's any danger of her sliding out of her seat.

Kirriemuir Tue 26-Apr-16 13:21:21

Cabin Crewe do not allow kids to play in the bulkhead I'm afraid. Also if you sit at the bulkhead you can't lift the arm rests. At 2 years old I don't think you will be allocated a bulkhead either. They go to babies. Sorry.

NothingMoreThanFelines Tue 26-Apr-16 13:29:28

Well, the BA chap I spoke to last week seemed to think we could be allocated those seats because of my DD's disability, but there certainly seems to be a lot of conflicting info/opinion out there!

NotWhatIHopedFor Tue 26-Apr-16 13:39:16

I flew long haul with a Tobi over Easter! It was fine, just a bit bulky to haul up and down the aisle. Lap belt round the bit in front (nothing across the top where the shoulder strap goes), knee in seat and pull tight just as PP said. There's a little "arm" (for lack of a better term) where the lap belt goes round which also pulls the lap belt tight and holds it in the correct position. Also, on my seat, the orange and white sticker that cabin crew have to check to make sure it is compliant is on the back of the base bit. It's worth having someone check it BEFORE you wrestle it into place and strap your DC in or you will have to undo it all and start over. Bitter experience

I was really pleased to have it as DS slept like a champ in his nice, familiar car seat which he may not have done just in the normal seat. That said, we were in the bulkhead so had plenty of room to get in and out - you probably (hopefully) wouldn't be able to use in in a middle/aisle seat as it would block the row iyswim. Good luck with your trip!

NothingMoreThanFelines Tue 26-Apr-16 13:47:30

Notwhat - thankyouthankyouthankyou! I could feel my angst returning, so it's great to hear from someone who's flown with a Tobi recently.

Sootica Tue 26-Apr-16 14:00:52

Going to check this out for myself as flying long haul this summer and really keen to get a car seat on the flight for 2 yr old to sleep in and also to be STRAPPED DOWN! I know she'll be a nightmare unless she is restrained
I have got a trolley from Amazon which the seat can be secured to to lug round airport but still investigating which seat is best
www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B000O0YHWI/ref=ya_aw_od_pi?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now